-
Status
Not open for further replies.

66GTvert

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Desperately looking for a replacement spring that goes around the push rod between the firewall and pedal to keep the brake light switch from being constantly engaged. This one's lost its enthusiasm after 44 years and just sort of hangs there as seen below.

Attachments

• spring.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 742
  • manual.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 516
I can probably stir one up from the junk I have in my garage. Give me a couple of days to get out there (threw my back out and am moving a bit slowly).

Free to you if you pay the shipping. Always good to keep another 66 GT convertible on the road.

From the overspray on your firewall, looks like your car is red. What else can you tell me about it...(bake type (drum/disc), engine, transmission, rear, history, etc.)? There are very few of these cars left and my guess is they didn't make a ton of them to begin with. So I am always curious when I run into another 66 owner -- particlularly GT/Vert owners.

Free to you if you pay the shipping. Always good to keep another 66 GT convertible on the road.

Aw jeez. Thanks a ton even just for looking!

From the overspray on your firewall, looks like your car is red. What else can you tell me about it...(bake type (drum/disc), engine, transmission, rear, history, etc.)? There are very few of these cars left and my guess is they didn't make a ton of them to begin with. So I am always curious when I run into another 66 owner -- particlularly GT/Vert owners.

It is indeed wearing its original red paint, build tag code "Q" a.k.a. Ditzler/PPG 71476 if I'm not mistaken. Gorgeous color in my opinion, but I'm biased. 8) There are a few stone chips here and there, about the size of match heads, that I need to do something about before the visible steel starts to rust.

Drum brakes, engine's the original 273 rebuilt at about 90k miles (now at 100k), automatic tranny...everything works except this pedal return. Well, the heater core leaks, but that's bypassed until I find time to replace it. Really just a bone stock cruiser, nothing fancy or custom going on except the 14" rally wheels someone put on before it was in my hands, and an FM tuner/CD changer/alarm/remote lock system all hidden behind the glove compartment. I posted a couple of photos in the welcome forum last week, here's a link:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1099881&postcount=1

Would love to see and hear about yours!

My apologies...I screwed up my back right after I posted that and haven't been out in the garage. Was feeling well enough to be out there this weekend, but completely spaced your need for a spring.

I have a Ace hardware store that has 3 parts cabinets full of different springs. If you can give me a dimension I may be able to help. toolmanmike

Again, my apologies for the delay. I am nearly certain I have a couple of complete drum brake Master Cylinders around in the garage and was actually out there this weekend and spaced it out.

My car is the powder blue color with black seats and top. Sold new to a woman in CO Springs, CO in November, 1965. Mine is also an automatic on the column. It came equipped with the 273 "Charger" engine ("Commando" in Plymouth parlance) with the 4v Carter, 10.5 to 1 pop up pistons and the high lift cam. Interestingly enough, it did not come with the "Rally Pack" suspension that most 4-barrel cars came with. Being an early 66, it also came with a 2.90:1 open 7.25 differential. I have a 8.75 and a 7.25 3.23 sure grip rears that I want to put under it. Not sure which one I'll install, but one of them will go into that car, eventually.

I have also upgraded the car, with the Rally Pack torsion bars, rear springs, sway bar and 5 and 1/2 by 14 wheels. I live nine miles up a steep mountain canyon, so after losing the brakes on a couple of descents, I outfitted the car with proper Kelsey-Hayes disc brakes, too.

The car has been patiently waiting for me to pull it out of the garage and start it again after being parked there 4 years ago with a leaking heater core. I am still working full time but hope to retire within a year or two and at that point, two cars in my small collection, the Dart included (the other is a 65 Mercury Cyclone) will become active projects again.

Give me a couple of days to get back out to that garage. I will find that M/C pretty easily, as I have it in a box of A-body small parts that I keep for swap meets and such.

BTW -- Was wondering if you might know of anyone having a rally steering wheel (fake wood) horn button for a 65 A or B body for sale. I have a good wheel I'd like to put on the car, but the only horn button I have is from a Valiant/Cuda...Which is not correct for the car.

I have a Ace hardware store that has 3 parts cabinets full of different springs. If you can give me a dimension I may be able to help. toolmanmike

First off, thank you so much for your offer, and howdy to a fellow '66er! :hello2:
Tried this at my local Ace and ended up taking home a bunch of different springs, all of which were close but none of which worked "just right" as Goldilocks would say. I think the problem has to do with the original part no longer expanding or compressing to its correct lengths. I measured the gaps and tried to compensate, but "chose poorly" as the guy from Indiana Jones would say.

If I'm lucky enough to find an intact replacement, I'll post the exact measurements here for anyone else that might be looking for one.

I have had the same problem with that brake spring. I have not found any place to get new springs, I did find a master with it on and used it to fix my car. Anyone know where to get that spring? The new rebuilt master cyl dont come with the spring.

If we are talking about the spring in the lower, right hand corner of the parts diagram, I finally found one. Got a day off from work and after rooting thru a dozen or so boxes I take to swap meets.

Not much to it, but it is probably a good one as the master cylinder it came off looked fairly new. I've found a small box that can hold it. Just found a small box so send me your mailing address via Private Message and I'll box it up and mail it tomorrow. Again, all I am interested in is the cost of postage and this will be 3 ounces, I'm guessing...So a couple of bucks first class.

Mailed it to you a few days ago. Should arrive any day. The postage was only $1.39 -- so don't even worry about reimbursing me.

Hope it works for you...

I have a spare m/c with that spring intact-- just found it today,11/28/2010-- still needing? Lawrence

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back