66 Dart GT HT Whatsitgonnabe?

-
Umm ... I'll pass.

Order placed at Rock Auto. Ordered two kits. Why not, I got all 8 for the price of three - shipping included. I could flip the four if someone needs them.
well - if you were going to try to drive it before you get those clips... it's better than leaving them loose and driving it

well - if you were going to try to drive it before you get those clips... it's better than leaving them loose and driving it
Don't worry, I won't be that reckless. Trying to figure out how to make a zip-tie do the job. And I consider myself pretty handy with those.

Don't worry, I won't be that reckless. Trying to figure out how to make a zip-tie do the job. And I consider myself pretty handy with those.
I suppose a narrow one that fits in the groove is one way. I'm not sure relying on friction is all that great.

I could slot a washer and crimp it in place, I suppose ...

you're not trying to fit it in correctly - IIRC the best thing (IF you're going to do this) is to use two per hose, push the hose up a bit and wrap 1 zip tie around the top and 1 through the hole - sort "figure 8" them together... it'll hold things in place, allow a little give and be easy to snip off when you're done

you're not trying to fit it in correctly - IIRC the best thing (IF you're going to do this) is to use two per hose, push the hose up a bit and wrap 1 zip tie around the top and 1 through the hole - sort "figure 8" them together... it'll hold things in place, allow a little give and be easy to snip off when you're done
Ok, got it. Well, if I for some reason end up waiting for these clips while everything else is finished - I'll do some sort of fix for sure.

*phew*

Got the other (driver's) side brake caliper in place. That was a real PITA. The car is right up against the wall so this meant chasing the threads in the spindle, removing the wheel, mounting the caliper and fighting the hose/line to fit in the mounting bracket while laying on my back with my arms over my head the whole time.

Plus my old man's glasses made focusing my eyes difficult most of the time. It sucks getting old.

IMG_9162.JPG

Plus I packed up my fuelcell to ship it to a fellow muscle car owner (69 Chevelle with a 540-something-cid) in need. It won't be used in my car in a looong time so I thought I might as well let someone use it. Got my money back and shipping covered so that was as good a deal as I ever made ...

Made temporary C-clips out of unused IKEA closet tipping protection ... brackets? Work just nicely as temps!

IMG_9163.JPG

IMG_9164.JPG

IMG_9165.JPG

Well, I got one of the brake lines for the calipers done. Looks nice with new stuff on the car!

IMG_9167.JPG

I don't know if it's normally this close to the brake signal switch, but It'll be ok.

IMG_9168.JPG

Had i known you were bending and flairing your own i would have recommended putting gravel guard over the tubing. Thats the loosely coiled wire sheath over the brake lines.

Had i known you were bending and flairing your own i would have recommended putting gravel guard over the tubing. Thats the loosely coiled wire sheath over the brake lines.
Ah, so that's what those are for! Thanks!

I might do that on the 'real' ones I'll be doing later. These are my practice lines. I'll be doing proper ones in NiCu later - when the engine is out and the engine bay is the right color.

The lines look made from copper. Are your final lines going to be steel?

I bought a coil of steel brakeline tubing from JC whitney online years ago when doing a 1960 chevy el camino restoration. I think it was 1/8" terne coated steel maybe a 25 or 50 foot roll. I cant remember. It can be ordered with a grab bag of different sized metric or SAE fittings. You will need to double flare it as well. You can also buy the gravel guard all by itself from either inlinetube.com or classictube.com

I've used soft copper brake line but I will be using Nickel Copper for the final iteration. I do have a double flare tool. I'll try to find some gravel guard.

I bought a small roll of it from Richard Ehrenburg (tech editor of the defunct and now resurrected Mopar Action magazine) on eBay. Think his eBay handle is rehrenburg
Thanks!

It can't be entirely impossible to find over here, though.

They do! I just went to their web site and found it right away. $15 for 5 feet
That's a bargain!

Well, look what I managed to finish just in time before it was time to make dinner!

From passenger side caliper ...

IMG_9176.JPG

... up behind the trans dip stick tube ...

IMG_9180.JPG

... behind the engine ...

IMG_9181.JPG

... down under the steering column ...

IMG_9179.JPG

.. and into the distribution block!

IMG_9178.JPG

Mighty proud of myself!

-
Back