66 Dart Owners thread

-
jmg72, It is great to see a convertible . Not many of them survived. Good luck with your plans, drive it and have fun!

Working on a 66 dart GT Conv. Color is factory yellow but underhood was painted/coated with black undercoating. Removed the black and prepping for factory yellow. Will be putting in power steering and brakes and original rebuit/repainted 225 slant 6. The brake change forced me to go from 13" to 14" wheels. When I finally found 14" wheels and ordered the tires for them they came as 6.95 14's. They look really skinny in the packing and don't want to open them if I am not going to use them. Given the overall package I am going more for a cruiser look than a race look. Anyone with some tire/wheel knowledge have any suggestions. I know I should have come here first.

Attachments

• Dart paint ready.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 371
Working on a 66 dart GT Conv. Color is factory yellow but underhood was painted/coated with black undercoating. Removed the black and prepping for factory yellow. Will be putting in power steering and brakes and original rebuit/repainted 225 slant 6. The brake change forced me to go from 13" to 14" wheels. When I finally found 14" wheels and ordered the tires for them they came as 6.95 14's. They look really skinny in the packing and don't want to open them if I am not going to use them. Given the overall package I am going more for a cruiser look than a race look. Anyone with some tire/wheel knowledge have any suggestions. I know I should have come here first.

Keep doin' what you're doin' it's looking good. Keep us posted on your progress. It keeps us all motivated. tmm

As far as tire choice,I would avoid a bias ply construction. I think you would be surprised how poorly your car handles with those . I would use a radial tire for sure. Maybe something with a straight tread verses an all season. Sometimes you can still find 14" in whitewall which would look more like a cruiser tire. I hope my comment was helpful.

Thanks Coronet66jj. I think I found some white walls but have to find wheels for them.
14" with the small bolt pattern 5x4" with a bead to bead of 6"+. If I can find the wheels that is the way I will go. Paint the engine bay today and start the put back tomorrow.

Tires are back on the ground. Put in power steering and front brakes. cleaned up under hood and did some general cleanup. Other than steering and brakes mostly all stock parts

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0306.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_0321.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0329.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0303.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 255
Just getting started on my 66 GT. I have a 65 GT all finished, but now its time for another project. The 65 is a race car, the 66 I want to be a fuel injected 87 octane street car I can drive when I choose! Nice weather, but not worry about the "R" word!
At this time the underside is blasted and painted. The frame is tied in and leaf springs are relocated [US Cartool boxes] man do they work nice! In progress are the mini tubs. I will also attack any rust which is in the trunk extensions and the trunk floor. This car is a California car so rust is very minimal!

View attachment 66 Dart new to the family! Spring 2010 002.jpg

View attachment 66 Dart new to the family! Spring 2010 018.jpg

View attachment IMG_2030.jpg

Screenshot_2016-05-01-11-35-18.png

This is my 1966 Dart. It is a GT convertible 273 4bbl Auto. More or less all factory except for a pertronix ignition and edelbrock preformed carb. It was kinda restored in the 90s but they diddnt do a great job. It runs and drives but needs a new top, lower quarters, and suspension, paint, carpet. All I have done is new breaks, new tires, rebuilt carb.

2013-05-02 dart 013-web.jpg

2013-05-02 dart 006-web.jpg

2013-05-02 dart 017-web.jpg

Thanks Mike! I am hopeful to have her on the road daily soon. Where do you suggest I go for a replacement fender tag (mine is rusty barely readable) and a build sheet? It seems there are a few different places doing it.

-
Back