66 Dart Owners thread

-
Great thread! Gives me hope for my work in progress.

Cars 564 (Small).jpg

Great thread, one of my favorites right now 8).
Also own a 66GT, but still restoring the car, some of you might have seen my thread at the member restoration parts.
Dont have parts of the status it is in right now, but just one pic before it started, and one how it has to become.

DSC_0512.jpg

ratstyle.jpg

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=45653

Hey John,welcome aboard the 66 Dart post!Looks like your coming along great,are you going to be painting white again?

392dart,is that a turbo Hemi in there?If so,I,ll have to say that this is the first time I have seen a turbo Hemi in a 66!!Could you tell us a little about your project?It looks very interesting!Please do tell!!:read2:

Outsider, If it's a GT You've got 1 of 1237 made with the HP273/4speed.
That includes hardtops and convertibles. Looks like a great car and welcome to the website. I'm sure you'll like it here. toolmanmike

toolmanmike, I saw a beautiful pic of your car, but you never gave a rundown about the build... It looks like a 273 4-barrel car. Is it an auto or manual. That color is great, what color is it? what color is that vinyl top. Great looking car I'd love to hear more about.

Thanks but photos can be decieving. LOL It's a HP273/4-speed just like yours.
allthough I wish mine had disc brakes. It's ZZ1 gold poly metallic(Very faded
original paint that makes it look like a rat rod) and a black vinyl top which I scraped off because it was badly blistered. It is driveable and so far very dependable. I do a little at a time to improve it as time and $'s allow.
toolman

We got more in common than just the HiPo 273 4-speed, mine is ZZ1 gold with a black vinyl top as well. Is your a console car?

Swaybar? 8 3/4 + Grip? flasher? Day/night mirror? Sport wood steering wheel?
I think we got twins. :-D

I've got a front sway bar but no 4 ways. 8 3/4 Sure Grip with 3:43's It was born with a standard wheel but I found a sport wheel @ the Nats last summer and put it on. It is easier to turn with manual steering. Mike

That is one bad motor scooter buddy. I'll continue via PM.

Here's my 66 that we ordered new in Nov.65 and took delivery Dec. 22,1965 just in time for Christmas for my mom.

It was our NEW Dart putting our 63 270 in second place.

In 71 we bought a new Mustang Spring Special putting the 66 in second place.

In the spring of 76 I had it repainted after doing minor body repairs (Dad did the damage) and gave it back to mom. It was white and mom wanted it buttercup yellow. So I drew a few color schemes and came up with this.
I had a custom yellow mixed that pops with the stock white.

In 84 Dad bought a new Chrysler K car that bumped the Mustang to second place and the Dart to me.

At the time I had a 64 GT and it was a hard choice as to which one to keep.

278.jpg

279.jpg

Brought the Dart home today from hibernation. And built a shifter for it.

100_1701 (Small).JPG

Nice engine looks like your gonna need a hood scoop! Where did all the 66 Dart owners go?

:cheers: Mine is in pieces, but I've got all of it. Still thinking of going NHRA Stock or Super Stock racing with it (The old D/Dart combo) $$$$$$

:cheers: Mine is in pieces, but I've got all of it. Still thinking of going NHRA Stock or Super Stock racing with it (The old D/Dart combo) $$$$$$

I think you'd be better off going NHRA Stock class. For some unknown reason, NHRA has the D/Dart listed as Super/Stock "Only" and the engine is factored at 275HP. I think it has to run in the 10's. My car's best time was 12.90's at 105 when it ran D/Stock back in 66.

Do the Stock class with the 235HP engine and you'll have to run in the low 12's to be competative.

My first was the 270 ht 273 3 on-the-tree. Bought at an estate sale. Only needed an interior, a clutch, and a lot of TLC.
The second was the GT ht. It was an original 273 HP, disc brake, auto, air, very early production model (build date 8/25/65). I got it in rough, but running, condition. The work took five years to complete. You may have seen this car before in the High Performance Dart and Duster book.
Was looking for a 66 wagon when the "devil made me do it" and got the Demon.

66 Dart GT 001.jpg

66DartGT rear.jpg

270_4Web.JPG

66Dart Before.jpg

-
Back