67 Barracuda Conv

-

mrbubbles

Reaction score
1st time posting here. Thanks to Physixx for the info.

I have a 67 Barracuda Conv 273 V8 2bbl. I have owned the car for 1 1/2 yrs. It came out of Michigan as it looks. It is now in Clark NJ. I have done new top chrome and brakes. I am starting to look around to have the motor and trans rebuilt. Any addvise would be greatly appreciated.

my 67 Barracuda.jpg

273 V8 2bbl.jpg

Wow man, that's a pretty fish.
I'll bet you are proud to drive that beauty around.

I'm sure it won't be long before you get some locals in you area from here to help you out.

You definitely came to the right place.

Looks great ,I`ve got a 67 vert too and have done the engine ,trans ,and interior but still have a TON of bodywork to do on a New York car. Just ask if you need help.

beuatiful car, my other A-body is a 1967 barracuda convertible.

I bought mine in 1984 with the original 273 2 bbl auto powertrain in it. I used for a year or so before tearing it apart and replacing with a 340/727 setup.

Car was great to drive with the big engine, but I really miss getting 20+ mpg in a v-8 powered car like i did with the original 273. I have actually removed the 340 and am installing a 318 2 bbl engine presently. I sort of wish I still had the original 273 that is now long gone.

You should have your engine rebuilt. If you want to take your time, find a deal on a 318, swap that in place of the 273 so you can drive the car while the engine work is being performed. You can usually find 318's for very good price (sometimes even free!) when other people swap them out for larger engines.

Bob

NICE CAR !
Wondering if that engine needs rebuilt. Trans too . Compression low ? Fluids leaking everywhere ? It would need the heads worked for unleaded fuel compatability if that's never been done. Beyond that just the oil pump, timing chain, distributer, and carborater replaced could get another 100K miles out of it. Service the 904 trans BY THE BOOK , and see how it performs.

Welcome, I have a 67 convertible too. I'm in NJ also, NW hunterdon county. Your car is impressive, always loved that body style

Wish I had a hook to catch me one that nice. Wow:thumbrig:
Welome mrbubbles, You have joined the best of the best here.
Keep us posted and jump on in and lets get that motor the why you want it.
From what I can see I would not change a thing:salute:

Thanks for the welcome messages and kind words about my Fish. I look forward to picking your brains about rebuilding the motor.

Nice car! Under the hood looks just like my 67 Dart.
Jim

003 resized.jpg

If you go with a 318 for a runner motor, try to find a set of '302' cast heads from the mid-to late 80's 318s (not 100% if they'll fit a 273's bores well; I know that era of 360 heads-aka '308's' won't). Nice flow, hardened seats...put 'em on a buddies runner 318 (in a '72 Scamp) and he isvery happy with them

-
Back