67 barracuda notch back window rust repair

-

67notchb

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m taking on a project on a 67 notchback and I’m a newby to A body’s. Has anyone fixed rust in the lower window corners like this with some words of wisdom to pass on? I’m going to dig into it soon and would like to hear others experiences. Also are there any aftermarket patch panels to repair these areas if need be? How about window gaskets, any recommendations? Thanks for your time and help!
upload_2020-10-11_19-27-55.jpeg

Hi all, I’m taking on a project on a 67 notchback and I’m a newby to A body’s. Has anyone fixed rust in the lower window corners like this with some words of wisdom to pass on? I’m going to dig into it soon and would like to hear others experiences. Also are there any aftermarket patch panels to repair these areas if need be? How about window gaskets, any recommendations? Thanks for your time and help!View attachment 1715611143
These are the pictures in case they didn’t work in the original post. Thanks!

372E1148-1DB9-4584-B7FC-233BB5ECDF97.jpeg

My first question is the same one I always ask. Can you weld, and are you capable of making the repair? This is an involved repair. You have to remove the vinyl roof, window trim and window. The best way to remove the window is to use a utility knife and slowly (and CAREFULLY) cut away the entire gasket (which will probably be hard as a rock). you will eventually be able to just pop the window out. do not do any prying. Then you will have to grind the paint away at least 1 or 2 inches past where you can se the rust. Then use a marker to mark where you want to cut; probably about 1" past the visible rust for starters. You may have to cut a little more once you see what the back side of the sheet metal looks like. If it is heavily pock marked with rust, you will have to keep cutting until the metal is decent. Some surface rust on the back is OK. After welding in the patch panel, you can treat that surface rust with a rust treatment. I like POR 15. I do not know if patch panels are available. You might have to make your own.

yes im no stranger to rust repair and I have all the tools to get it done. I am going to remove the vynal top for good, hopefully its not bad in other places. being an area where two panels possibly more come together possibly more things can get tricky. also if the window frame is rusted thats more work to fab up a panel to match.

Has anyone fixed rust in this area on their notchback and can speak to their experience doing so?

Bringing back an older post I started with a new idea to hold over my rust issue. What is everyone’s thoughts about using a rust converter or some other topical rust stopper until I’m able to cut and repair the metal. I just don’t want it to get any worse and this seems like a good option until I can get to it to do it right. Thanks for everyone’s input!

Bringing back an older post I started with a new idea to hold over my rust issue. What is everyone’s thoughts about using a rust converter or some other topical rust stopper until I’m able to cut and repair the metal. I just don’t want it to get any worse and this seems like a good option until I can get to it to do it right. Thanks for everyone’s input!
I wouldn't worry about it if you can keep it dry. If not, get that vinyl off and use por-15

My shelter for it is just a roof and rain does blow in through the sides at the moment so I need to address this for the short term, say a year or so.

Im afraid to pull the final top to so see what I will find but know it needs to be done. Would you clean and por15 the bad areas then prime the vinyl top area?

My shelter for it is just a roof and rain does blow in through the sides at the moment so I need to address this for the short term, say a year or so.

Im afraid to pull the final top to so see what I will find but know it needs to be done. Would you clean and por15 the bad areas then prime the vinyl top area?
You are probably going to find holes. Once again, I think you are over worrying. One more year aint gonna make much difference in my mind if you can keep it reasonably dry. The vinyl top is the problem. It is retaining the moisture. Peel it off and see what you have. Get a cheap tarp and bungee cord it down good. No need for primer. I might buy some cheap butyl tape at the hardware store and pound it in the holes. That back glass has to be leaking too. How does the trunk look?

When I say peel it off, I mean in the problem areas. Leave the glass and moldings on for now.

Your probably right I am. Do I need to remove the glass to remove the vinyl top? It does need to go for good.

Trunk looks good, some surface rust under the back window deck area but not bad, looks like from condensation. It sat in a barn for years with leaks and water ran to these rust spots. I don’t think it leaks but it very well could.

Your probably right I am. Do I need to remove the glass to remove the vinyl top? It does need to go for good.

Trunk looks good, some surface rust under the back window deck area but not bad, looks like from condensation. It sat in a barn for years with leaks and water ran to these rust spots. I don’t think it leaks but it very well could.
Ultimately, everything need to be removed for the repair. I would use a razor knife to cut off the vinyl next to the molding and the glass rubber seal to give it a chance to dry out and to try to find the extent of the rust. That's just how I roll. Gotta start somewhere. Ease into it.

Very true. It will all be taken care of eventually but till then I’ll start small and keep you posted. The window gaskets are cracked also and both will need to be replaced. These two rust spots are the only serious rust in the car and probably in the worst places ha.

Im going to send the vinyl top to hell and start fixing the rust very soon (as seen in the first post). I was wondering if anyone knows if the notch back barracuda shares the same rear window lower corner curve dimensions with another mopar car? Id like to source a patch from another car junk yard or aftermarket (if they are even out there) if I could rather than try to make one my self. thoughts and time are appreciated.

I’m gonna have to see if I have pictures. I used small strips for the window seam and the vertical part of the channel. Then fit pieces that went from that leading edge down and work way up

thanks for sending the pictures. your rust looks almost as bad as mine, damn vinyl tops. thats a good idea using the rod for the bend. this is such a problematic area Im surprised no aftermarket pieces are available. anyone else have any pictures of their repairs in this area or pro tips? thanks

A pro would have some shrinker/stretcher tools. Those tools would make short work of creating a nice patch panel. Eastwood sells them. They probably have a video using them.

I agree. I have looked int eastwoods to make new panels but have never used a shrinker stretcher before but might have to learn. there is a local junkyard with many a & b body mopars and I was hoping the same window corners were used in other models so I could cut and replace without fabbing up a new one. like the old saying goes, "want in one hand..."

Hi everyone. I’m digging back into my notchback and after pulling off the vinyl am surprised how well everything looks all in all. As seen in the pictures there is some putting rust. The majority of the rust I’m confident I can repair no problem but the area I’m having a hard time figuring out is the seam in the picture. Any thoughts or suggestions pros?

IMG_8811.jpeg

IMG_8784.jpeg

Glad to see ya back at it. I bet @moparmat2000 and @RAT ROD AL can help. @gdrill ??
Hi everyone. I’m digging back into my notchback and after pulling off the vinyl am surprised how well everything looks all in all. As seen in the pictures there is some putting rust. The majority of the rust I’m confident I can repair no problem but the area I’m having a hard time figuring out is the seam in the picture. Any thoughts or suggestions pros?

View attachment 1716191383

View attachment 1716191384

You need to look underneath at the total joint. That will determine the repair. If it is good, I personally would weld the little holes and use metal fill to smooth it out. Unless you want to cut the whole section out and match it up. If you are confident in what you see already, you should have no problem either way.

-
Back