67 Barracuda Rotissarie

-

Rbob

Reaction score
Just starting this project. Got a long way to go but I though I might as well show from the beginning. 273 commando 4 speed car. Probably will go with 360 though. I am having trouble getting the quarter glass out.

Bob

MVC-384S.JPG

MVC-387S.JPG

Nice rotis' what brand is it ?
The quarter windows are a pain. There is a short track and roller on the inside of the inner panles. It's nearly impossible to see. You can see the 2 bolt heads holding that track. It has to go. Those windows are even harder to get lined up right with the door glass when going back together. :(
Good luck

I will do that to a car one day! LOL!

I hear ya!

I've heard nothing my nightmare stories about the quarter windows in these cudas. I've never tried to remove them.

Very nice 67! I just finished re-doing my quarter windows in my 67 fastback... what a pain!!!!!

Thats a nice piece of equipment. I thimk I'll prefer the pnumatic tires though.
I strongly suggest you remove that hood . That stress load will ruin the hindges at minimum.
Good luck with the qrtr windows and keep the progress pics comming

Removing undercoating and found some rust at passenger front floor. Some thick undercoating there. We are using a rosebud torch to heat up the goop then scrape it off with a putty knife and follow with wire brush.

Bob

MVC-551S.JPG

MVC-553S.JPG

that is why it is necessary to be thorough with all this. If it is half a$$ed then you have bigger problems down the road......nice work!

Good afternoon. New member to ForABodies. Just ran across your posts- and you happen to be almost exactly where I hope to be in about 2-4 weeks: specifically, up on a rotisserie (that is, if I can find one ;-)).

Mine is also '67, but the fastback version. I need to get her to the 90 degree point to do maintenance on the bottom, though I sincerely hope not as much in the rust department!

As a unibody in what I believe to be relatively rust free shape, do I need to put a door brace kit in to keep the bending loads down? I am eager to get to the point of stripping the undercoat off and really examining what I've got- but don't want to compromise the longitudinal or lateral straightness of the body from the sheer weight (obviously it'll be stripped pretty much to the bone. . .). One of the first upgrades I intend to make is frame connectors. . .perhaps put those in first before I spin the body on its side? I'd appreciate any advice as I obviously haven't traveled down this particular road before. I have enjoyed "lurking" and reading the various posts- glad I joined up.

Pictures exist from the past and the present- and I will download them now that I can get on board the forums. I hope to document the "restification" as I go. . .

This particular car came out of Hamtramck in the Summer of '67, near as I can decipher the VIN and data plates. . .273 2-bbl, 904 console shift, 7.25 (with Sure-Grip of all things, tagged with 2.76 gearing), Mandarin Red (according to the Ditzler paint guys a long time ago); really, just an ordinary car, maybe screwed together on a Wednesday (as opposed to Hangover Monday or Hurry Friday!) because it has held up so well. What makes the sweetheart extraordinary for me is, my Dad bought it new in Houston, TX (a 3000 mile demonstrator) in October or so of that year. I grew up with this car, learned to drive in it, got my license in it, drove it to HS and college, thrashed it, fixed it when I bent it, bought the books, modified it like a kid will, drove on my (first) honeymoon in it- and drove it for work (with a relatively brief hiatus for an '84 Chrysler Laser) until I parked it in 2000. Garaged kept since then. At 312,000 miles it is not stock, it is a bit tired, a bit rough- though it is the only car I have ever had that has never left me on the side of the road.

Now, I have a 15 year old girl and that wants to get her hands dirty on Dad's Barracuda (and maybe the 19 year old boy, if I can pry him off the PS2!). I intend to bring it partway into the 21st century, make it safer to drive- and hopefully everyone can enjoy it the way a car is meant to be enjoyed. Heck, I expect the build will be every bit as much fun as the driving!

Part of the work is already been done: Recipe built '88 318 with the 302 heads lightly ported and matched, .030 over with 340 and 360 pieces, 2-plane Weiand and Eddy 4 barrel, Mopar Electronic ignition, iron 360 manifolds with dual exhaust; the 904 with shift kit; Formula "S" torsion bars and springs, polygraphite bushings throughout the suspension components. . .I have been collecting parts for this thing off and on since around '82; now, I finally have the time and the space, the motivation and the funding stream to start and continue until finished.

What I hope to get from you guys and gals is encouragement and advice to keep it going. Maybe I can do the same in the other direction as well.

Nice to be here. Thanks for the invitation!

Mike

People will tell you those door jamb braces are only needed on ragtops. I would put some diaginal bracing in the doorways even if I had to make them myself from pipe. Then I would weld in frame ties.
My theory... After 40 years sitting on the wheels the metal has surely fatigued and the car has sagged a little. First time you turn one upside down it's gonna go back atleast some small percentage of the amount it sagged. Lets compare it to a tin can. So much strength is lost in the first bends. Flipping the car over and over would be just like breaking a tin can.

I have one going to. its a 69 340 to be converted to 4spd no numbers match. hears some pitchers of my project.The more i looked the more i found.

roticery work 012 (Small).jpg

roticery work 030 (Small).jpg

roticery work 027 (Small).jpg

roticery work 001 (Small).jpg

I put the frame conectors in with it on its side.Their was no noticeable sag and i didn,t brace anything. You will have a lot harder time puting the conectors in without turning it.their were no problems. I meashured the tram points to verifiey it.I did cut a small portion of the floor and weld tabs from the conector to the seat stifening plates.good luck guys.

My roticery is the free homemade model.I do need to tye it together and add weels since warm weather is coming i can take it outside.

Well we are making some progress so here are some pics.

DSC02141.jpg

DSC02142.jpg

DSC02145.jpg

DSC02168.jpg

DSC02172.jpg

DSC02181.jpg

DSC02175.jpg

DSC02176.jpg

DSC02173.jpg

DSC02189.jpg

Body work is done on the doors, hood, trunk. Just have to finish the main body and then do the priming and blocking. Then it will get the paintwork on the exterior.

This car had a vinyl top, not putting it back on but I will 2-tone the paint with white on top.

The color is 2009 Dodge ToRed "PR3"

How is the frame where the torsion bars go. This is a bad spot for rusting thru due to poor design. Any quick fixes for that area

You guys and your rotisseries are making me envious. I have done 14 of these cars laying on my back, just to old for it now. That would make it a lot more fun.

Some progess has been made, doors, hood, trunk, front valance, header painted. I will be painting the body today and clearcoat tomorrow so stay tune for some more pics.

Enjoy!

DSC02248.jpg

DSC02249.jpg

DSC02247.jpg

DSC02252.jpg

DSC02245.jpg

DSC02246.jpg

I took several pics of the doors so you can see how strait they are. We are happy the way it is turning out.

I have to buy the rest of the $$ stuff now, interior, suspension then tires and wheels. This is a money pitt! LOL

Incredible work!

Notchbacks are awesome!

I wish I could have done mine this way especially with such clean minitubs like yours.

The quarter glass and regulators come out much easier than they go back in, unfortunately I had a roll cage installed before I put mine back in and talk about a friggin nightmare, not to mention pinched nerves in my neck for a month afterwards.
I almost took a sawzall to the cage to make more room before I came to my senses.

Nice, I have a 67 notch myself, great car.
Keep the pictures coming, great job! I wish I had a rotisserie! :D

Just out of curiosity, aren't you suppose to have the car resting on the suspension BEFORE you weld on subframe connectors to avoid sagging and distortion problems? (like the doors not closing properly after your done).

Just wondering, that's how I did mine, on an alignment rack. Keep the great work up!

-
Back