67 Barracuda Vert Shoulder Belts Backseat

-

ToplessFish67

Reaction score
Hello. Newbie here. I just purchased a 67 Cuda convertible. Anybody have any idea if its possible to put in shoulder belts in the backseat? I have seen bucket seats from Wise Guy Seats that have intergrated belts in the seats but not for a bench seat. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sure, it could be done. You're going to have to make it up yourself from junkyard belts or a universal kit.

Thank you! Good thread...I see there was an option for the front seat but not the back seat.

I guess I am going to have to get creative. Wise Guys Seats has this setup for bucket seats but not for a bench. I can't see why you couldn't do the same on a bench on opposite sides.

View attachment Seat with Belt.jpg

I also saw a guy that put Sebring Convertible seats in the front with integrated seat belts. The only rear seat integrated back seat are on a 2002 BMW M.

I came across the Wesco Performance setup in my search as well. It does look pretty good. Im just surprised someone hasn't come up with an integrated back bench seat option. I have seen 2002 BMW M seats used with the integrated seatbelt for less than $300 used. Could maybe modify it a bit and put an original Mopar seat cover over it....as a thought. I have 2 boys myself I'm looking to put in the back.

I own a '69 Barracuda Fastback but I don't see why you couldn't something similar to what I did?? I built a 1/8 X 3" bar and bent it to the shape of the top of the rear seat and made it high enough to put a head rest on there for the kids. Nothing worse than getting rear ended and have everybody's neck snap back!! I made it so that it just fit over the sides of the seat so I could bolt it to the same holes that hold the seat (factory holes). So I didn't do any drilling on the body. Since I built the metal frame I figured that it was good place my 500 Watt amps and some good speakers so I attached those to the same frame. Came out great and it looks like it came like that from the factory!!!

treblig

Attachments

• DSC04129.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC04125.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 322
  • DSC02677.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 333
  • DSC02668.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 337
  • DSC02665.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC02664.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 314
  • DSC02662.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 333
We are putting Sebring buckets in my daughter-in-law's 65 Mustang coupe for the three-point belts and more comfortable seats. I'm not sure about the BMW hardtop rear seatbelts, but my 2004 330Ci convertible has an odd arrangement and the shoulder anchor is in the middle, not on the sides, in the back seat.

Treblig- Is it safe to assume you are giving me express written permission to steal your idea! :) Absolutely gorgeous man! Im pretty sure I can make something similar work. Thanks for stirring the juices and sharing!

@Jim. Yes I wasn't sure if the bmw seats would fit. This is what I was looking at.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 5.24.24 AM.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 273
Treblig- Is it safe to assume you are giving me express written permission to steal your idea! :) Absolutely gorgeous man! Im pretty sure I can make something similar work. Thanks for stirring the juices and sharing!

Of course you can!! The disappointing part is that I did such a nice job making the head rest and seat belts flow with the back seat, nobody even notices I made any changes!!! I guess next time I should mess it up so people can say, "Oh, I see you did something different to the back seat!!" LOL

Treblig

I used the third row seats out a suburban in my son's '46 Chevy. Built in seat belts and I see them for $100- $150 on craigslist all the time. Evidently many Suburban owners remove them to make more room for hauling stuff around. They stick the seats in their garage, the seats I bought were like brand new (leather) $150!!! They worked out real nice.

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC00592.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC00599.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC00597.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC04251.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC04250.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC04249.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC04248.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC04247.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 277
My 67 vert is in a lot of pieces so I cant go look. I'm trying to picture in my head how a shoulder belt would be routed and properly anchored and not interfere with snapping on the top boot/cover. Later models like the 73 Valiant we owned had plastic 2 piece bezels that finished a opening through the bench seat bottom for its lap belts. Maybe a pair of those would allow the shoulder belts to pass through the verts seat back rather than over it.

My 67 vert is in a lot of pieces so I cant go look. I'm trying to picture in my head how a shoulder belt would be routed and properly anchored and not interfere with snapping on the top boot/cover. Later models like the 73 Valiant we owned had plastic 2 piece bezels that finished a opening through the bench seat bottom for its lap belts. Maybe a pair of those would allow the shoulder belts to pass through the verts seat back rather than over it.

You definitely have to find something that works with your car!!! The lap portion of the belt on the 3rd row Suburban comes in at the corner, right where the top and bottom seat meet. I can get some pics if you like but I understand that it has to work with you're set up.

treblig

That was my concern as well. I was thinking maybe have a hole stitched in and lined with something like this to pass the belt through? As a thought..

Attachments

• Hole.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 268
TREBLIG...Whatever pic you can show on both cars would be great! That Chevy is killer!!

Later this afternoon when my son gets back from college I'll take some pics. On my Barracuda I used 1/2" steel rod shaped into a "U" shape (square U) for the belt to pass through. Just sand it super smooth and paint it. The belt will slide through like butter. If you want to cover the 1/2" rod with trim it will even nicer Pics later....

Treblig

Ok, here are the pics (first 3 pics) of the Barracuda 1/2" rod where the belt slides through and pics of my son's '46 Chevy suburban 3rd seat. Because this 3rd seat was designed to be easily removable I went ahead and built stands for the front seat latches and a heavy duty bar across the back for the rear latches. The bar across the back is bolted down with six 1/2" grade 8 bolts because those shoulder harness seat belts put a tremendous load on the rear latches during an accident. So now if I need to remove the rear seat I pull the factory latch release and the seat folds down. Then I pull the second factory release lever and the whole thing pops right out. It was great when I was still working on the car putting in speakers and wiring and all that stuff. I can remove the rear seat in less than 15 seconds with no tools. Sometimes I think I'm a genius, but my wife tells me that I'm just full of it!!!!!

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC04573.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC04572.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC04571.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC04570.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC04569.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC04568.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC04567.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC04553.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC04552.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC04551.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 278
Very very nice!!! Definetly some food for thought. My first thought was to add a rear seat with the belts intergrated but I really like your idea on the Cuda. My issue is the convertible boot. I'll have to think of something to go through it around the boot. Thanks again for the detailed photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 258
-
Back