67 Bucket seat chrome trim

-

38 Dodge

Reaction score
Does anyone how to remove the chrome trim around the seat panels without tearing / bending them up? I want to sandblast and repaint my seat panels but not sure how to remove the chrome.
Thannks for any advise

Stick a narrow blade putty knife between the part and the trim then bump it. The long side pieces will slide lengthwise a little so to get them inplace joining the top piece.
No need to remove the bottom end caps from the trim.
I dont know what exactly you plan to sandblast but... these seat covers are vinyl laminated steel. Sand wont have much effect on the vinyl except scratch it.

I just peeled mine off. I took a wooden dowel and tapped the end that was crimped. When it came loose, I just worked it around. There is a little tiny body clip that sits inside the trim and clips to the edge. Be careful not to force it or you will bend the trim.

The trim did have tiny clips made of spring steel sliding inside the trim in the beginning. At some point they stamped dimples in the edge of the steel and deleted those clips. I dont think you will find the little clips in any 67 model trim pieces.

Thanks guys,
I am trying to repaint the metal cover and I cannot seem to get the paint to stick very, and they tend to fish eye when I tried to paint over the factory paint. So I was going to sand blast them to know that the paint will stick. if you have any other ideas or suggestion please let me know

The trim did have tiny clips made of spring steel sliding inside the trim in the beginning. At some point they stamped dimples in the edge of the steel and deleted those clips. I dont think you will find the little clips in any 67 model trim pieces.

Mine is a 66 and just did that yesterday!!!

Are you sure its paint or is it like a thick applied spray on plastc??? I'd like to know because I'm going to do the same. I know they have some pretty good paint for plastic but the prep has to be right.

My seat backs and side covers and all metal.

Redfish,
I just re-read what you said, I need to go and get some vinyl paint and try that first.

Are you sure its paint or is it like a thick applied spray on plastc??? I'd like to know because I'm going to do the same. I know they have some pretty good paint for plastic but the prep has to be right.

Any raw edge will show what its made of... A vinyl skin was applied to the steel with something like contact cement.

Clean them very well with hot water and Dawn dish soap. Then clean them again with rubbing alcohol ... Paint with SEM vinyl die....Tape off the chrome..

I've had to clean previous screw up enamel spray paint off them with thinner and repair digs in the skin before repainting with the SEMS product.

That is what I'm having to do is repair someone else paint crap job I using laque thinner most is coming off but alot is still in the small grooves, once I get all the old paint off I will wash and clean them paint with SEMS.
Thanks

If the laquer thinner gets the all the paint off the vinyl will be clean enough. SEMs dye is laquer based anyway. They do make a prep solution to promote adhesion. It's available at the paint stores that carry their dyes. I use it on parts like kick panels that still have a lot of oil in the plastic. For very old, dried out, and brittle parts, it's not needed.
If I was simply redying the seat backs, changing the color, etc.. I would use the prep. In a case where laquer thinner scrubbing happened, I assume the surfeace oil is gone also.
I'll keep the inside of my car dry so rust wont be an issue ( fingers crossed ) so I just wire brush the insides of the set parts and coat with a rust reformer.
My way aint the best way I'm sure. Just sharing. Good luck

-
Back