67 cuda FB progress UPDATE

Metallic GunMetal Grey with Gloss black stripes or Flat black stripes?

• Total voters
-
Before you do that....

Actual cam specs, timing specs(initial and total). Spray something around intake and carb base to check.for vacuum leaks.

It might need tuning. 530 ?....lift maybe not duration.

Ok, I got myself all messed up on the numbers.
If I remember correctly, the cam in the 273 is a 298 Duration and the lift is 530 ]\. I cant remember for 100% sure and I don't have the paperwork with me at the moment.
Everything has been checked, rechecked and I also had a good friend that builds engines for a living check it out while it was running and he told me the same thing. (that's a crazy sized cam for this engine and it won't last very long before it will need to be torn down and rebuilt again with the way it is now. The lowest we could get it to idle was 2000 RPM even with the timing retarded as far as it would go. We tore the front apart and set the timing 4 degrees less and did get it to idle lower, but it was thumping like a gasser and had to massage the thottle to keep it running. We also had to run racing fuel in it because the compression is at 11.5:1. we also had to put a Demon 850 carb. on it and it still acted as though we were starving it at full throttle. It's bored 40 over, heads have been totaly rebuild, has a edelbrock LD4B duel plane intake. ( the old school one that is hard to find)
Anyways I'll try to post the only video of it running that I have. The sound quality is not good, due to the cell phone camera that was used.

The video file won't upload. It said it's an invalid file.
I guess it's the wrong format type. I don't know.
Anyways, I was able to get a few pictures of the car out in the mild sunlight today.
The hood, trunk nose and fenders are not on it because I still need to wet sand to 3000 and buff them out.

I'll know more in a few days about the engine issues. I'm sending it to a guy is Seattle to measure the cam and get one made specifically for my setup. For now, i'm going to just enjoy looking at my fastback and try not to get drewl smudges all over it.
I'll post what I find out, as soon as I find a good outcome.
:burnout:

View attachment 1-25-15 004.jpg

View attachment 1-25-15 005.jpg

View attachment 1-25-15 006.jpg

View attachment 1-25-15 007.jpg

View attachment 1-25-15 008.jpg

Yeah thats a big cam and too much compression for a street motor.....

Comp makes a part #221-3 & 222-3 that are good cruisin cams...but you need about 9-9.5:1 comp....

Yeah thats a big cam and too much compression for a street motor.....

Comp makes a part #221-3 & 222-3 that are good cruisin cams...but you need about 9-9.5:1 comp....
I need to put different head gaskets on it to help get the compression down so I can run pump gas. Thanks for the comp. Cams part numbers.

The color is not my personal taste but it really looks good!!! Good job!:prayer:
Getting close. I wish I was at the stage of the game.

The color is not my personal taste but it really looks good!!! Good job!:prayer:
Getting close. I wish I was at the stage of the game.
Thanks Snkbite. I appreciate your comments.
The color doesn't come Thru very well in the photos.
If it were to look as it does in the pictures, I most likely would have repainted it a different color. It has been a long road in which I have added to my knowledge in metal work and welding.
I have been watching your build and am very impressed with it. You have some great ideas. A few that I wish I had thought of.
My next project, after this one, is to save for parts to do a modern Hemi swap. On a barracuda. Also total modern front and rear, but retain as close to original interior as possible. I'd. Most likely loose Most of the the rear seat with the tubing but it would stll be awesome.
Keep up the great work on yours. I'm watching all the time.

Looking good! I have thought about that color for mine as the interior is red. That would make a nice contrast. I wonder how a red pin stripe would look on the side above the door handles.

Looking good! I have thought about that color for mine as the interior is red. That would make a nice contrast. I wonder how a red pin stripe would look on the side above the door handles.

I thought about the stripe but decided to keep it this way instead.
Red interior would look good.

I have to vote for the idea of a red interior. Obviously I like the exterior color because it's similar to mine. - But a red interior would really make it pop.

My Barracuda is red with a gray interior, why not a gray Barracuda with a red interior? LOL

I have a Laguna Gray 70 Corvette with a red interior. The color combination is classic and looks great!

:banghead:can anyone tell me what this spring is too?
I found it in a box of parts that were removed when we tore the car down.
I can't figure it out. If anyone knows and can take a picture of their spring and it's location I would greatly appreciate it.
I was thinking maybe it was for the brake pedal return spring but I think it's way to strong of a spring.

Attachments

• 0209151827.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 315
My first thought was that it was a jack hold down spring but I never had one in my car so I'm not sure. It doesn't look the same as the one in this picture but there may have been variations.

View attachment Charger_Jack_25_B.jpg

This one is shown in a Charger.

I tore mine down to nothing. Never saw a spring like that. Have everything boxed up and labeled.

My first thought was that it was a jack hold down spring but I never had one in my car so I'm not sure. It doesn't look the same as the one in this picture but there may have been variations.

View attachment 1714792138

This one is shown in a Charger.

Thanks 67
My car didn't have a jack in it either. In fact, it didn't even have much of the trunk extensions left to put a jack on. L.O.L! I'm at a loss.
I'd hate to be one day driving down the road and find out it's to wind up the engine with.. L.O.L!!!!!

I tore mine down to nothing. Never saw a spring like that. Have everything boxed up and labeled.

Thanks for the info SNKEBITE!
I appreciate the input from you. I have no idea what it's for, but it did come out of the car when we tore it down. This project is a father son duo project and when we tore it down I'm thinking that not everything got labeled or it was just found in the junk that was in all corners of the car.

I've had just about everything out of my 68. Looks most like the jack hold down spring to me too.

I've had just about everything out of my 68. Looks most like the jack hold down spring to me too.

I think your correct. My son just told me he remembers pulling the spring out from behind the rear qrtr panel on the pass. side when I cut the lowers off to replace.
Thank you all for your insight, it really helps a bunch having all this experience in one place.:cheers:

Its looking awesome mate, great work. Now comes the fun part, fitting nice and shiny parts to her. :)

Thank you mate! I appreciate the comment. I just pray that I tape off all the edges good enough when I re-assemble it all. L.O.L!!

I'm going to attempt to install the headliner myself this week or weekend.
I think that I have read as much as I can about it and am feeling confident that it can be done by an novice like myself.... I pray anyways.
It needs to be done before I install the front and rear glass, so I'll try to remember to post pictures.
By the way, my engine is coming along and the cam issue has been figured out, so I will also start the rebuilding process of the top end as well in the next few days. ... I pray...

Thank you mate! I appreciate the comment. I just pray that I tape off all the edges good enough when I re-assemble it all. L.O.L!!

I'm going to attempt to install the headliner myself this week or weekend.
I think that I have read as much as I can about it and am feeling confident that it can be done by an novice like myself.... I pray anyways.
It needs to be done before I install the front and rear glass, so I'll try to remember to post pictures.
By the way, my engine is coming along and the cam issue has been figured out, so I will also start the rebuilding process of the top end as well in the next few days. ... I pray...

like your car!!!:blob::blob::blob::blob::blob::blob::blob:

-
Back