67 dart gas smell

-

jam

Reaction score
I just bought a 1967 dart slant six auto the car smells of gas especially after driving it. The car has 89k miles and the carb was supposable rebuilt not long ago
There is no apparent gas leaks, any suggestions before I start digging in
Can it be a float problem or bad seal on gas cap?
Thanks

If the cap had a bad seal it would likely be making a mess on the outside of the quarter panel. If you look inside the trunk up under, up high, where the filler tube comes inside the trunk, you'll see a small tube welded into the filler. This is the vent, and goes down through the trunk floor and dead ends inside the rear frame rail.

Does it seem to matter whether the tank is full, 1/2 full, or down below 1/2?

Is it inside the car, or just in the area of the car, and can you isolate the smell to one end or the other?

Most likely suspect is fuel boiling over into the carb throat on shutdown.

I assume you have inspected the underside, the tank sender, hoses, and supply tubing for leaks.

I just went through this with my 67 Cuda. The gas smell was driving me nuts and I could not tell where it was coming from. It turns out the gas tank filler grommet (about 2" in diameter) had a split in it and was seeping but not enough to drip to show me where the leak was. You have to drop the tank to change it which is no big deal. Get the tank as empty as possible before you start, undo the sending wire and take off the rubber hose from the sender, undo the one nut on the strap and the tank will fall down. Replace the rubber filler neck gasket and you're good to go. While you have the tank out you may want to pull the sender unit to check the condition of the pickup screen and maybe drain the tank to get all the crap out of it. Good luck.

Welcome to FABO! Start with the common areas for a leak. All the hoses from carb back to tank, the fuel pump, and carb. If they're in good shape, inspect around the tank. Any major leaks should be obvious with a stain coming from that area. If it's a minor leak, you may have to pull the tank and inspect everything. I'd get a filler neck grommet and a sending unit seal before I started the job as these are sometimes not available at your local auto parts store or dealer without ordering them.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the replies. I now have a pretty good check list of possibilities. I ordered the grommets and plain to change them out a.s.a.p.

-
Back