67 dart gt the beginning

-

booker t jones

Reaction score
went to an estate sale and bought this progect for 1800.00 the good news about all the parts are with it and no rust issues.the bad news a lot of the parts fenders grill hood are 69 specific a lot of upgrades has been done to the drivetrain and suspension according to notes I got with car.so first order of business find a trailer and round up all the parts and haul it home.in 05 when the new mustang came out sold my road runner bought a gt mustang then switched to a hemi challenger 6 speed which I traded recently for a hemi crew cab ram so looks like ive been drawn right back in

Pics or it didn't happen!
Seriously, ya gotta post pics...
What's the plan? Stock resto or build to play? Going to build as a '67 or make use of the parts you got with the car?
Inquiring minds have to know!

Pics or it didn't happen!
Seriously, ya gotta post pics...
What's the plan? Stock resto or build to play? Going to build as a '67 or make use of the parts you got with the car?
Inquiring minds have to know!
too much gt specific parts missing probably a generic dart
DSCF8254.JPG

I agree....find some '69 taillights and build it as a '69 Swinger? not much trim on a Swinger. No-one (except the purists) will know the diff. unless they look at the regi.

have to get it home and examine it supposed to have a 69 340 904 tranny with b&m shift kit 2600 boss hawg stall converter 3.91 8 3/4 suregrip rear 2 1/2 inch mandrel bent exhaust system with flowmasters headers are missing has frame connectors front discs probably from a later a body rubber suspension components appear new
DSCF8256.JPG

have to get it home and examine it supposed to have a 69 340 904 tranny with b&m shift kit 2600 boss hawg stall converter 3.91 8 3/4 suregrip rear 2 1/2 inch mandrel bent exhaust system with flowmasters headers are missing has frame connectors front discs probably from a later a body rubber suspension components appear newView attachment 1714962037
so a decision will have to be made go with hemi orange or pull the engine and start over I really liked the 69 340 swinger green with vinyl top but if I go orange probably no vinyl top

Use what you have with the car. But I say go 67 because then you don't have to mod all the one of delicates. Such as taillight metal work
Headlight buckets
Door latches
Vent windows
These are a few differences I ran into with my 67

Use what you have with the car. But I say go 67 because then you don't have to mod all the one of delicates. Such as taillight metal work. These are a few differences I ran into with my 67

Headlight buckets
...already has '69 buckets in the '69 fenders. He has the '69 hood and grille too.

Door latches
Vent windows
...leave'em...no-one will be able to tell

Last edited:
so now I am confused we loaded up the car and parts in an enclosed trailer this morning my cousin was kind enough to lend me until I clear out some garage space to put it.the car is a bench seat column shift automatic.but the transmission tunnel has what looks to be a 4 speed hump with a plate tack welded over the hole the vin is lp23h7222 the fender tag is off a 69 340 swinger so the original fender tag is missing unless I find it in boxes the rear seat is probably not original as its velour but no build sheet anyway so how would I determine if it is originally a 4 speed or auto.also weren't all gt cars bucket seat cars with a 4 speed or automatic floor shifter

Please confirm your VIN really is "LP23H7..." Check the rad support and trunk weatherstrip lip. If so, thats a real '67 GTS..."H" means 383 in '67. You may have gotten a better deal than you thought!

but then you got the issue of no fender tag no build sheet I am familiar with b bodys 68 69 roadrunners and bees if I do this car right I would be looking for a lot 67 specific stuff

but then you got the issue of no fender tag no build sheet I am familiar with b bodys 68 69 roadrunners and bees if I do this car right I would be looking for a lot 67 specific stuff
You can get a repro fender tag (NOT VIN tag!), and ,yes, you'll need to get the '67-specific stuff.

it has a factory4 speed hump so I would need a 833 tranny and all linkages pedals sterring column bucket seats 2 fenders grill signal park lights all the exterior trim for a gts car an a 383 engine with bell housing maybe a k member am I missing anything on the plus side I would have a bunch of stuff to sell I'm having rotator cup surgery Monday so I will have a couple months to think about it

As the '67 GTS was introduced mid-year, all the exterior trim for '67 GTS is the same as '67 GT...only thing different is "GTS" and "383 Four Barrel" on the front fender where the "GT" emblem would normally be. All interior parts are GT, including door panels. Are the 4 speed pedals still there?

Guess it depends on how much work you want to put into the car.

You could also contact Frank at the "GTS Registry" to see if the car is registered there....could give you some add'l history on the car as well.

http://www.gtsregistry.com/

so I go through the paperwork that came with car have the title for the 67 with correct vin on door jamb which is a h code also find an open fla title which matches the vin attached to the dash frame and also the fender tag so I call my buddy who checked the body stampings on radiator he says he went from the fender tag so I drive 40 miles this morning crawl up in the trailer sand off the body stampings on radiator support and trunk rail what I find is the partial vin for the 69 car so this is a 69 340 4 speed swinger originally v2 hemi orange with no options listed on fender tag stripe deleted si I guess somebody was cloning a 67 gts at one point and the people I got it from were in the process of making the car right so it would appear I need to title the 69 340 swinger in va finish painting the car hemi orange find a 340 bell housing 833 tranny with linkages a set of pedals a set of 340 exhaust manifolds or headers and reassemble it not#s matching but it will work or the easy way would be leave it automatic and maybe do the tranmisson conversion later then destroy the 67 h code title and vin it can only be used for bad purposes I think at this point

Wow...what a mish-mash! How is the '67 VIN tag attached to the A pillar.....does it look factory, with the correct VIN rivets? If the '67 VIN tag looks correct, could it be someone was using a '67 GTS body to clone a '69 Dart of some sort? The dash VIN can be from a '69 Dart when the dash frame was installed. Does the rad support and trunk rail look factory?

Wow...what a mish-mash! How is the '67 VIN tag attached to the A pillar.....does it look factory, with the correct VIN rivets? If the '67 VIN tag looks correct, could it be someone was using a '67 GTS body to clone a '69 Dart of some sort? The dash VIN can be from a '69 Dart when the dash frame was installed. Does the rad support and trunk rail look factory?
the 69 title is for a lm23p9 car the dash vin exactly matches the title the vin is shown on bottom right of fender tag the the support and trunk rail starts with the 9xxxxxx which matches title tag and vin radiator support and trunk rail look original to car so take the 67 vin out of door jamb and everthings right with the 69 340 swinger title

the 69 title is for a lm23p9 car the dash vin exactly matches the title the vin is shown on bottom right of fender tag the the support and trunk rail starts with the 9xxxxxx which matches title tag and vin radiator support and trunk rail look original to car so take the 67 vin out of door jamb and everthings right with the 69 340 swinger title
also the car still has the 69 tail lights think they was a difference in the buckets and they didn't interchange with out some work involved

The '67 VIN tag is mysterious then. Why would someone go to the trouble of attaching an incorrect VIN tag if they have a proper '69 title, VIN and fender tag?:BangHead:

Just re-looked at your engine compartment photo....thats a '67 wiper motor installed there...I don't know if '67 and '69 interchange?
Also, what kind of idler arm is on the current K member?....'67 (single-bracket) or '69 (thru-bolt)?

Last edited:
probably two damaged cars long ago used to make one complete car probably had the 67 titled put the vin on the 69 and didn't pay to change the 69 title stripped the 67 sent the remains to the scrap yard used parts on 69 as needed or sold. tranny change maybe 4 speed failed or just wanted automatic 67&69 rear bumpers are also different called my cuz he verified this is a 69 rear bumper no back up lights in bumper they in taillights

probably two damaged cars long ago used to make one complete car probably had the 67 titled put the vin on the 69 and didn't pay to change the 69 title stripped the 67 sent the remains to the scrap yard used parts on 69 as needed or sold. tranny change maybe 4 speed failed or just wanted automatic 67&69 rear bumpers are also different called my cuz he verified this is a 69 rear bumper no back up lights in bumper they in taillights
Yup...'67 reverse lights in the 1 year only bumper.

I'd still be curious as to what happened to the '67 GTS. Maybe send the complete VIN to Frank at the GTS Registry, just for sh*ts and giggles......

Yup...'67 reverse lights in the 1 year only bumper.

I'd still be curious as to what happened to the '67 GTS. Maybe send the complete VIN to Frank at the GTS Registry, just for sh*ts and giggles......
going to have rotator cup surgery in the morning then back on the project how bout the rear springs on a 67 gts I think the p codes had an extra leaf in theirs also on 69s the windshield had trim clips but the 67s impeded in the rubber on the 68 b bodys the door lock tab was slightly different location than 69s

-
Back