67 Only Steering and K-frame Questions

-

dusterman440

Racing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to swap my 67 K-frame so I can change out to a manual steering box and avoid the one year only parts. I was looking at a spool type 73 k-frame, but I just wanted to check some things before I do it. I just redid most of the front end for a disc brake swap so I'm hoping to keep what I can.

When you install a 73 k-frame, can you fit 68 model year: manual steering box, pitman, and idler? Does my centerlink need to change when I change the idler/pitman?

As long as you don't have a sway bar you should be good.

Alan

What disc brakes did you use? There are some differences in pitman and idler arms.

If you keep it manual steering then you can use the 68-72 pitman and idler arms as long as you use the 67-72 center link. Conversely, you can use the 73-76 pitman and idler as long as you use the 73-76 centerlink. The manual boxes for the A/B/E cars had the same sector diameter for the whole run, so you don’t have to worry about that. You just have to keep the year range of the pitman, idler and centerlink matched up.

If you have a sway bar that’s fine too, the 67-72 sway bar can be fitted to a 73+ K frame the same as it was on a 67-72 K. You just can’t use a 73+ sway bar with a 67-72 K. At least not without a ton of modifications to the lower half of the K frame.

Spindles and brakes have nothing to do with the K frame, only the type of UCA (small or large ball joint) matters for that.

I'm gonna try and simplify, "maybe"

The 4 pieces which must go together is determined by what pitman splines you have. Once that, you must use whatever center link and idler that matches the pitman IE 73/ later or 72/ earlier. You can use any year K 68--up so long as you have an anti-roll bar to match the K as the 73/ later goes through the middle of the K. Or, you can fab mounts for the early sway bar and sling it underneath a 73/ later K like the 72/ earlier do. And, youll have to match the anti-sway bar tabs on the LCAs as they are different at the 72/73 split

I've heard a lot of push and shove about what boxes have what splines, and "I swear" I have a manual box with large splines. Maybe it's out of a B/C/E body I don't know.

You can use any year "anything else" depending on what spindles/ brakes you are gonna use

Looking to swap my 67 K-frame so I can change out to a manual steering box and avoid the one year only parts. I was looking at a spool type 73 k-frame, but I just wanted to check some things before I do it. I just redid most of the front end for a disc brake swap so I'm hoping to keep what I can.

When you install a 73 k-frame, can you fit 68 model year: manual steering box, pitman, and idler? Does my centerlink need to change when I change the idler/pitman?

Why bother. Just swap to a manual box. No gain except the 67 Idler you replace every 100K.

I'm gonna try and simplify, "maybe"

The 4 pieces which must go together is determined by what pitman splines you have. Once that, you must use whatever center link and idler that matches the pitman IE 73/ later or 72/ earlier. You can use any year K 68--up so long as you have an anti-roll bar to match the K as the 73/ later goes through the middle of the K. Or, you can fab mounts for the early sway bar and sling it underneath a 73/ later K like the 72/ earlier do. And, youll have to match the anti-sway bar tabs on the LCAs as they are different at the 72/73 split

I've heard a lot of push and shove about what boxes have what splines, and "I swear" I have a manual box with large splines. Maybe it's out of a B/C/E body I don't know.

You can use any year "anything else" depending on what spindles/ brakes you are gonna use

If you have a large sector manual box, it’s out of a C body or a van. A/B/E were all the same small sector regardless of year. The B body boxes, and possibly some of the big block A bodies, had bearings instead of bushings. But the sector was the same.

All the info was on Big Block Dart, I saved it into PDF form before they did their "upgrade". I attached the PDF below

Attachments

• Steering Box Info.pdf
    156 KB · Views: 72
-
Back