67' Valiant 2-door

-
I got the steering column primed but can't decide if the column should be black or body color. Which causes the next thought. I would want the column the same as the dash so then what should be the dash color by?

Got the power seat tested and cleaned up the soleniods and mechanicals the lubed. The seat switch block had a Chrysler part number and it came back to a 1986-91 Chrysler Masariti TC. How they came to be in this car is unknown.

A curious part was discovered at the same time as the brake booster was removed. There was what appeared to be factory cruise control motor mounted to the fender well. It was t-ed to the vacuum line from the intake to the booster. It had a Chrysler part number and came back to a vacuum motor. It had an electrical connector (2 wire) with the wires cut. There was nothing on, in or around the dash to indicate the car ever had factory cruise. So any ideas why a vacuum motor would be there? Maybe to assist (provide more vacuum) the brake booster?

Nice car, Looks like a fun one. gotta watch those flip-flop exposed toes.

Update
Tackled the trunk pan for last few days and found this to be the most back breaking of all so far. Attempted to just use a drill to leave the spot weld but between the rust and the dull drill bits, I took lots of breaks. Then found Harbor Freight had a spot weld removal tool so I bought 2. Worked ok but got dull after about 40 spot welds. Looks like if they needed that many spot welds, they would just run a bead?
Between the saws all, angle grinder and drill, I got the center out. Now to clean up the frame and find the spot welds that hold the pan to the trunk extensions. I'm glad I bought 2. May need a few more removal tools.
Updated

Attachments

• 1967 Trunk Pan Center 01.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 468
  • Trunk Support Center Underneath.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 461
  • Trunk Pan Support Right.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 440
  • Trunk Pan Support Right Lower Inside.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 464
  • Trunk Pan Support Left.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 443
  • Trunk Pan Support Left Lower Inside.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 444
  • Trunk Pan Support Center (front).jpg
    120 KB · Views: 463
  • Trunk Pan Rear Support.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 462
  • Trunk Latch Bracket 01.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 484
  • 1967 Trunk Pan Center 02.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 461
Update: My welder/body guy got started for real on the metalwork but I never realized how much work there is such as repairing the front corners of the trunk drip rail and the rear glass bottom rail but the repair is being done at home not at a body shop so the pace of the work can be managed. No major body panels are going to be needed except the front floor pans and the trunk pan.

My engine builder got sick and has not been able to pick up the engine from the machine shop but have decided to not install the engine until after the car has been painted. My wife and I have decided to paint the car 1965 Corvette Silver Pearl Matalic. Coming along on the project. Just wanted to let you guys know.

It's been over a year since last posted but got Valiant back home and in the garage with a 360 ci installed. Pics to follow if I can remember what the picture settings for the website are.

We all like pics. The motor runs great but way too loud for neighborhood since it has no exhaust. Still much to be done. It still has no glass or interior.

Attachments

• After ride height adj.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 401
  • front view motor.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 389
  • Almost home.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 362
I had planned on installing a small, after market heater with defrosters but no a/c. Since I don't really plan on driving if it get must below 50 since it's a florida car but will need a defroster.

Sweet looking valiant. I should be getting my 67 back in a few weeks from the body shop

Could someone tell me or show pics of the location of the splash shields. I remember removing them by cutting cable ties but can't remember where they go .

I finally got the rear service and parking brake all working correctly. The new brake lines were installed over a year ago back to the rear but never tested. After completing the brake hardware with new shoes and wheel cylinders, added fluid. Leaks everywhere. At the master cylinder, proportion valve. Attempted to tighten connections but appeared to be bad flairing. Replaced all lines except the front lines. Learning more lessons than I needed.

Did u Buy stainless steel lines???? If so you really have to wrench down on them to seal--Ask me how I know--Steve

Project in process for over 4 years and still a ways to go.
The side glass was installed around first part of 2014. Put Valiant in storage again. 12/29/14 towed Valiant to another shop to get headers installed and they were 1/30/14. No one can accuse them of being fast not even half-fast. Now to get exhaust installed so car can be run.

Look at the dash pad photo. Why is there a gap between the dash frame and windshield post. What did I miss?

More Photos

Attachments

• Valiant for A Body001.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 214
  • Valiant at All County002.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 240
  • Valaint for A Body003.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 232
Looks great! Just a suggestion, that air filter is a bit tiny..you may want to move up to something with more surface area.

I/m getting ready to order the headliner but noticed that the headliner is installed onto teeth just behind the windshield and just in front of the rear window. What covers those teeth protruding out of the headliner? Can't find in the parts manual (on CD). Could someone pls advise.

I haven't made an updated in some time so I thought I would do it now.
I had a cooling problem using the 273 water pump and radiator so replaced the radiator with bigger aluminum one and high volume, aluminum water pump. This caused the orginal P/S pump (TRW) not usable. Went with a Sag pump and brackets but high pressure line hit the K-frame so I tried a Federal P/S pump and brackets. The Federal has the high pressure line on top. Ended up using a 3 groove crank pulley and a 2 groove fan/water pump pulley.

I removed the 7 1/4 rear end and springs. My plan is to replace the spring bushings and install a 8 1/4 1996 Jeep rear end (373 gears) with disk brakes. This should give much stopping power. That should only leave paint, interior and new wheels and tires.

Only taken since January 2010 to get this far. But maybe before I turn 75.

I only goes fast if you have a fortune to pay others to do the work for you. Can you post a pic of the spot weld bit you used? I see that your tail lights are 70-up,not 67. I just picked up another 67 to play with.

If you are talking about the tool to remove spot welds, I attached pic. After a couple years I noticed the wrong taillights. The car had been hit in the left rear so replacement taillights I guess.

Attachments

• Spot Weld Cutter.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 147
Since you just got a 67, a few questions if I could?
Are there covers that cover up the headliner behind the front and back glass?
Are there B pillar post covers?

No,it's all headliner. There is a cardboard support under the rear headliner part of the B pillar area that is held on with screws. I looked for a pic but I don't have one of that area. Is yours missing the cardboard? I don''t see them in the last pics you posted.

I may have a set of tail lights if your looking for 67's. I parted out quite a few valiants in my day.

-
Back