67 Valiant Build - 5.7 or 440?

-

strang3majik

Reaction score
I think I know what everyone is going to say, but, looking to see a discussion that might sway my thinking one way or the other.

I have a 67 Valiant two door that I'm building pretty much from the ground up. Important bit of info, I'm a college student working part time, so funding is limited.

But, I have a Dana 60 and an a833 four speed I am definitely using...what I am unsure of is engine choice.

I have a 1975 30k mile 440 sitting in the garage on a stand. I have a set of 915 heads and would like to pick up a set of standard bore 67-69 factory pistons to bump the compression up as well as a steel crank. I have a set of B-body HP manifolds I could use (buddy of mine had a set on his a-body and said they barely cleared the steering shaft on an RB engine, but fit)...

anyway, I have this 440 here. I'll need to get mounts, bell housing, flywheel (I'd use the 10.5" one I have), clutch linkage, and other misc assorted bits.

Also sitting in the same garage is a 5.7 Hemi freshly pulled from a totaled 03 Dodge Ram. It is just a long block with no accessories.

If I used this it would stay carbureted, though with one of those Hemi boxes for the coils.
I would need to buy mounts, bellhousing, flywheel, headers, intake, MSD Hemi box, clutch linkage or hydraulic setup, cam (wouldn't want it stock setup), water pump/alternator, and other misc bits. Wouldn't mind throwing a set of rings and bearings in too as well as headgaskets just for piece of mind. Truck had 120k on it.

I'm running manual steering regardless. I also have a slant 6 k-frame in the car now...I know they make big block conversion mounts, not sure if they make hemi mounts for the /6 k-frame.

So...which would be the better way to go?

My thought as of now, I'd love to throw the hemi in there, but, I feel it may be out of my financial reach even though I already have the engine, so the 440 seems more feasible. But maybe I'm over simplifying the 440 swap and the cost difference won't be that drastic.

Thoughts? Input? Criticisms?

You got a slant K member? Well that makes it a easy decision.... TURBO SLANT!!!:finga: :cheers: :glasses7: :burnout:

Go the 440....will be less stuffin around than the 5.7.

75slant6...lol! Thanks for the offer but think I'll have to pass :p

And yea thats more what I'm thinking. I mean I would keep the Hemi for an eventual project or maybe even to throw in this some day...but parts are expensive for it...doesn't matter if its THE hemi or the new one....Hemi parts are pricey...haha.

Now if I had a tremec laying around.....lol

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one dealing with what motor to use.I'm doing a 69 Valiant from the ground up.Looked at every possibilty trying to weigh the pro's and con's.Since you have two motors it narrows the playing field.

440 = nose heavy low end torque a blast for a short time then what

5.7 = good driver with some power $$$$$$$$$$ to do correct

Have fun no good answer

i'd go with the 440 BUT...

i've talked to guys who put an all iron BB in their darts and didnt like the weight.

so until you can afford an aluminum intake + headers to cut the weight i would hold off. and heads if you can afford it. after that your BB up front will weigh the same as a stock 318/340/360 that is all iron.

i'd drive it with the /6 until.

the 5.7 hemi is cool but like you said there are lots of things to buy as well, and fabrication etc.

power wise, with similar compression ratios the 440 would tear up the 5.7 hemi. but the hemi can be set up to get better mileage with EFI. for the same money however you could put EFI on a 440.

Whole lot less cash than what a 5.7 swap would cost. I'm cheap and would use what cost less,,but that's just me...

id go with the 440. if you hang out here and keep your eyes peeled or post want adds you would be suprised what you find. some members are here to line there pockets. others are here to actually help fellow enthusiasts. I am building a 65 valiant and am on a tight budget. how tight of a budget? think castration. i have found parts on here from members that were nearly willing to give them away to help.

id go 440. keep a look out for a used duel plane aluminum intake. they can be had for less then $100 some times. that alone will drop 30lbs off the front of the engine. i would also look at a alum. water pump housing. Just take your time and keep looking for the parts you need.

I have an aluminum edelbrock performer intake already. Headers either way will be expensive regardless of my engine choice because a body. Lol. But weight isn't too much a concern. I'm not looking for the car to be a corner carver. More so a fun cruiser. I have my corner carver already. Lol.

And I wish I had an engine in the car now just so I could enjoy while I made it pretty but I don't have a slant 6.

But 440 I can use factory parts which is nice.

And a local guy who has a small junkyard is helping me out a ton with body stuff. Giving me a very good deal, especially since, oddly enough, my car was in his junkyard years ago but he thought it too nice to part out. Haha. He's looking around his parts storage for big block stuff for me, but he's more a small block man.

Dodge71demon, you have exactly the point I've thought about. I know once my car is done I'm going to drive the hell out of it. A bonus with the hemi is decent fuel mileage even with a carb. 440 not so much. Haha.

But one thing, my father has a 68 Charger r/t with a 440...I'm in love with the car and that engine is great. And that's in a b-body. We've since built it up a bit, but even when it was just a 68 engine with milled 906 heads and a purple shaft cam, she screamed and the big block sound is unmistakable.

That in an a-body...would be perfect. Lol.

As you can see I have my love of either one. It would be great with the hemi to hop in my car and drive it to Carlisle, PA and not kill me on fuel with the hemi.

Yea. Lol. Probably going with the 440. But does make some good discussion!

If I had a welder handy and some fabrication skills however...possibilities would be endless.

75slant6...lol! Thanks for the offer but think I'll have to pass :p

You sure?? You might never get an offer like this again!! ;) LOL!! Yea it's too bad you ain't got a slant in it for now tho.. A slant with 8-10 psi would give you plenty to have fun with till you'd swap in a big motor!

Ok guys...I was set on the 440...til I was flipping through my Mopar Muscle magazine and saw this.

Yea...

I want to drop that motor in there in the worst way now. :(

Sell both engines & put a 360/408 in it.
Nice balanced package & easy to work on.

Look at Indy Cylinder Head modman intake slick setup and they have a lot to offer

Sell both engines & put a 360/408 in it.
Nice balanced package & easy to work on.

Thats too easy...lol But nah...I have a 360 sitting here that's brand new rebuilt with 10.5:1 pistons, 340 6pk cam, and a set of 308 (pre magnum) heads that mysteriously got rusty and locked up in one cylinder. Never been ran...

but anyway, looking for something different even if it means I have to wait to get it together.

And yes, those mod man intakes are cool.

But that Gen 3 hemi in that cuda...looks like an old one...and I love it...lol

They even make the distributor conversion now which would seal the deal in making it look like the old one.

Oh believe me, the Scamp I had was like 4 colors so it can't be worse than that! Lol

Thats too easy...lol But nah...I have a 360 sitting here that's brand new rebuilt with 10.5:1 pistons, 340 6pk cam, and a set of 308 (pre magnum) heads that mysteriously got rusty and locked up in one cylinder. Never been ran...

but anyway, looking for something different even if it means I have to wait to get it together.

And yes, those mod man intakes are cool.

But that Gen 3 hemi in that cuda...looks like an old one...and I love it...lol

They even make the distributor conversion now which would seal the deal in making it look like the old one.

After you by this let us know how it works

After you by this let us know how it works

I've been wanting to know how exactly that works out since it only runs 8 out of 16 plugs. At first glance, though, you would think its an old one if everything was orange topped with an old school air cleaner.
And I never understood why it still has coil packs in that picture...lol

And...mine needs some love. Picking up an entire front end this weekend. But she needs lower quarters behind the wheelwells and the filler panel between the trunk lid and back window. But, she'll be a good car when she's done. Pretty much have a complete four door I'm getting all the patch pieces off of.

Trying to figure out my drivetrain plan though so I can sell some things to get money for others...lol

-
Back