68-70 340 exhaust manifolds install question

-

HotRod20

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm getting ready to drop in my rebuilt 340 into my 72 Scamp. Has anyone installed the engine assy. with the factory Hi-Po exhaust manifolds bolted on to the engine before dropping it in?
The car has manual steering so I hoping I can clear the steering shaft and the engine drops into the K frame. Anyone done it this way?? or,..... should I install the exhaust manifolds after the engine is on the K Frame??
Thanks for your feedback.
HR20

You may be able to get it in with the passenger manifold, but no way with the drivers manifold unless you don't have your steering shaft installed...

Thanks HemiSSDart!!....you just saved me a bunch of grief!!! thank you very much.I do have the manual steering column in the car.
I'll install the pass side exhaust manifold , then install the drivers side manifold, after its sitting on the K Frame.
HR20

Just be aware that the passenger side is very close to the inner fender. I always lay a blanket over that side if I put an engine in with the manifold, as it WILL hit the inner fender no matter how careful you are being! The other problem is getting the bolt into the passenger motor mount when you have the manifold on...

They are easy to bolt on after the fact, why risk hitting something on the way in?

-
Back