'68 Barracuda project

-

JGC403

Reaction score
Just picked up a 1968 Barracuda. Will be restoring it the way I want. Updating interior, suspension, power plant and drivetrain. The goal for this project is to be at least in the 11s and to be able to handle corners well.

The plan is to install a 383 that I have been rebuilding/ planning the last couple of years. It was originally going into an '85 Ram, but decided it would be more fun in an A-body. A 727 will be installed behind it until I save up for a 5-speed manual conversion.

Frame is getting frame connectors and torque boxes to help stiffen the unitbody. Right now the Barracuda has the small bolt pattern, I will be upgrading that to disk.

I am missing a couple of interior pictures and some of the exterior trim pieces are missing of damaged. So I will need to hunt those down. Rust isn't to bad.

So far I have most of the parts for the short block together. Block is from a 1968 Newport, bored .30 over, aligned honed, and square decked. Rods are 440 length H-beams. Using the 440 length rods I reduced my rotating assembly by just over a pound. I plan on using 440 source aluminum heads, and as much aluminum on the engine as possible, in an attempt to get as much weight off the nose of the car as possible. Compression ratio should be about 10.5:1. Not sure on the cam yet. I have a Mopar solid purple cam, P4120659, but am considering a roller cam. Going with fuel injection also, probably MS-II.

Barracuda:

1968Barracudaproject007.jpg

1968Barracudaproject003.jpg

383 BB

Painted with Por-15:
1968Barracudaproject026.jpg

1968Barracudaproject021.jpg

1968Barracudaproject025.jpg

And my custom pistons. Ceramic and dry film coated. Probably wouldn't do the ceramic if I was going to do it again.

1968Barracudaproject023.jpg

Its a big project, probably won't be completed for a couple of years.

Nice project, if your looking to handle and do straight line stuff you might want to look a RMS for the front end and rearend setup

Wow, that is a very nice car to start with! Are you the one that has done all the body prep work?

The 440s rods statement makes no sense to me, but I am easily confused. That would set the pin up higher in the piston requiring a special piston.

Are you saying that reducing the piston skirt that much will make up for the additional rod weight? That piston picture looks very similar to the Ross pistons I had in my alky injected 440.

Wow, that is a very nice car to start with! Are you the one that has done all the body prep work?

No, that is how i picked it up. I will be sandblasting this thing down to bare metal to make sure there is no rust hiding anywhere.

The 440s rods statement makes no sense to me, but I am easily confused. That would set the pin up higher in the piston requiring a special piston.

Are you saying that reducing the piston skirt that much will make up for the additional rod weight? That piston picture looks very similar to the Ross pistons I had in my alky injected 440.

The 440 rods are longer than the 383 rods. So I needed to get custom pistons made with a shorter compression height. I weighed the stock piston/ pin, rings and connecting rod and compared them to the custom piston, pin, rings and connecting rod and it came out to just over 1 lbs lighter than the stock components.

The stock 383 piston compression height is about 1.908" I think. My pistons compression height is 1.493". Plus I have the 1/16", 1/16", and 3/16" rings. So more weight savings and less friction compared to the stock ones.

I hope you find a nice solid car under there, because it looks like someone has spent some serious time getting it to this point. Good luck with it!

Ok, I get it now, you are comparing the new light stuff to the stock stuff. The stock pistons are really heavy, I used to know those numbers.

There are almost always some nice benefits to going to longer rods. If I remember correctly, isn't the difference about .100? It has been a while, but I think it is 6.65 to 6.76? Or I could be all wet on that, but don't feel like looking it up.

Nice project, if your looking to handle and do straight line stuff you might want to look a RMS for the front end and rearend setup

They make some nice parts. But I want to keep the torsion bar suspension up front.

Also cleaned out the interior and tossed the old carpet and vacuumed it out. Looks like I will need new front floor pans on each side.

Before:
1968Barracudaproject037.jpg

After:
1968Barracudaproject036.jpg

That's a great starting point for a project. It looks great. All of the trim on that car looks extremely clean (grilles, etc.). Good luck and keep the pics coming!

That's a great starting point for a project. It looks great. All of the trim on that car looks extremely clean (grilles, etc.). Good luck and keep the pics coming!

Thanks, Most of the trim was good. The passenger side grill needs to be replaced and the Lower deck lid trim need to be replaced other than that the rest of the trim is fine.
I am getting ready to move, so I haven't had a chance to do much to the car recently. I'll be moving in a month and should be starting to work on it again after the move.

I might be able to help with the interior mods. Those burlwood accents on the front door panels were 67 mostly. A few early 68 models got them along with the burlwood on the instrument panel. When they did change over to a linear woodgrain it went on to the rear panels, the console top and the shift knob.
Every other 68 I've seen that got the 67 type deluxe interior also had 67 type front grilles.
Found a build date on yours ?

Nice!!

I want the plates off of it!! Black and gold! Perfect for my `68!

Sorry Sold 'em already.

I might be able to help with the interior mods. Those burlwood accents on the front door panels were 67 mostly. A few early 68 models got them along with the burlwood on the instrument panel. When they did change over to a linear woodgrain it went on to the rear panels, the console top and the shift knob.
Every other 68 I've seen that got the 67 type deluxe interior also had 67 type front grilles.
Found a build date on yours ?

I haven't looked for the build date yet. Would it be on the fender tag?

I am not a fan of wood in my car. So I am just going to get new door panels and stuff with out the wood.

I can't wait to get back to PA. I will be able to actually work on my car. I have access to a sandblaster, welder, sheet metal brake, and a 2.5 car garage.

I haven't looked for the build date yet. Would it be on the fender tag?

I am not a fan of wood in my car. So I am just going to get new door panels and stuff with out the wood.

Look for a build sheet under the rear seat, captured in the springs.
Someone will want those door panel pieces. A lone red reflector lens brings 10 bucks. Happy moparing

The woodgrain doorpanels are part of the deluxe interior. Just go with standard interior panels (or something custom) if you really don't want the wood.

I think that is a great project. I'm a little partial... :)

The emblems finally got in that my Mom got me for Christmas. Took a while for Year One to get them. I am a long ways off from putting them on but I got them.

1968Barracudaproject060.jpg

Nice. I want to either do a 76 Aspen RT or a 67 Barracuda in the same spirit as yours, only with the new 392 hemi instead. :D

this is all at least 10 years down the road for me though.

A New Hemi would be cool. But after seeing how much sheet metal needs to be cut out, that's not for me.

-
Back