68' DART BRAKE WOES

-

mydart270

myDart270
Reaction score
Thought I was home free with new brake m/c on all wheels, new brake pads front and rear, rebuilt power booster from KARPs, reset power brake push rod to spec per FSB, bleed brakes, nice and firm pedal, stated car and WOW....pedal goes to floor. What is going on, wifey says "sell it".

Original brake pedal rod in use, do I need a special one for the power booster from the pedal? 9 in drum brakes on all 4 wheels, 1 in bore rebuilt M/C and no air bubbles when bench bleed. M/C totally filled, engine is OFF and slow pedal push and geyser with "air bubbles" (i don't think this is right!) in M/C front and rear reservoirs....dah!!!!!.

Need some help. Where do I start?

Thx MOPAR geeks. UR the best.

Where do I start?

Tell your wife you would never cave so easily when she needs your support.

Sure seems like the Master didn't bleed properly even tho you described that it did...I'd keep looking there...

Thought I was home free with new brake m/c on all wheels, new brake pads front and rear, rebuilt power booster from KARPs, reset power brake push rod to spec per FSB, bleed brakes, nice and firm pedal, stated car and WOW....pedal goes to floor. What is going on, wifey says "sell it".

Original brake pedal rod in use, do I need a special one for the power booster from the pedal? 9 in drum brakes on all 4 wheels, 1 in bore rebuilt M/C and no air bubbles when bench bleed. M/C totally filled, engine is OFF and slow pedal push and geyser with "air bubbles" (i don't think this is right!) in M/C front and rear reservoirs....dah!!!!!.

Need some help. Where do I start?

Thx MOPAR geeks. UR the best.
After many failed attempts to bench bleed my MC, I dropped that idea years ago. I now mount the MC in the car and install some fittings I made that screw into the ports with clear tubes that go into the MC reservoirs. With the help of someone else, I ensure the reservoirs are filled with fluid and the tubes are immersed. I then very slowly pump the brake pedal to expel the air. This takes some time and patience but has worked on many I've done. I had one new MC from NAPA once that I never could get bled. They exchanged it and the other one worked as expected.

May be time for some Gravity Bleeding.

Booster rod length is critical for proper operations! Assume all standard parts are in use? Do not lengthen it past specs or you will regret!!!!

I went through 3 masters before I was "Somewhat" pleased! I have KH front discs and 10.5 rear drums.

Also I used a vacuum source to evacuate all air at each bleed point!

I am sorta happy now, however modern brakes just keep a bad feeling in my mind about the 69. You just have to get pass that for our classics!

slow pedal push and geyser with "air bubbles"(i don't think this is right!) in M/C front and rear reservoirs....dah!!!!!.
Yur right; this is not good.
This indicates that there is air trapped in the M/C.
Here is a cutaway drawing of a dual M/C

10569be579c8111021372d3c49b8106b.png

As you can see, the holes are at the back of the chambers.
>If you bleed the M/C with the front up, the air cannot get out except to be pumped down to the wc's. But it's all downhill, and the air is not willing to go that way. In fact, if you were to put a clear line on it, you would see the air bubble go down on every stroke, and then rise part-ways back up as the pedal also rises.
The only way around this is to stroke continuously without pause, until it comes out of the wc's; but if you have to stop to replenish the reservoir, and the air has a clear shot upwards, it will be on it's way back up.
> So, the front of the M/C should be slightly elevated during bleeding and this should be done off the car, so you don't spend all day on the job and a gallon of fluid.
So then, as mentioned, on the bench, it is best to use clear lines so you can see if the bubbles and or the fluid, is/are just jockeying back and forth. When/if that happens, you gotta pinch the line before the up-stroke, so that the fluid cannot return backwards up the clear line..... so then the lines have to also be submerged in the fluid, so as not to draw air up from the bottom. If your M/C has working residual valves, they should be doing the pinching for you.
>Now, after you are sure you got the M/C bled, sometimes there is still a small amount of air stuck in the power chambers, right at and above the outlets; it likes to stick to chamber walls. What I now do is to elevate the rear of the M/C, and tickle the pushrod with just enough stroke to close and open the compensating ports. If there is air still trapped in there, it will now come out thru the C-ports. Keep tickling until it stops.
> with the M/C now prepped, you can bolt it back on the car, and install the lines. However, there is still a slug of air trapped in the last inch or two of the hard-lines. Do you really want to pump that all the way down to the wc's? I sure don't. So, now you need a helper to slowly push the pedal down, while the lines are slightly cracked, which allows the air to escape. But you gotta snug the fittings BEFORE the pedal goes back up; so take it slow. After two or three pumps. you should see only fluid coming out, indicating that you are done; tighten the lines securely, and check for a hard-pedal that does not sink.
> If the pedal is not hard until the second or third pump, then you need to adjust your brakes.
> If the pedal is spongy, then there is air in the system somewhere.
> if the pedal is hard but sinks over time, one of two things is wrong; 1) either you have an external leak somewhere, or 2) the M/C is defective, and fluid is escaping the power chambers inside the M/C back into the reservoirs.
> Finally, step on the pedal with mild to moderate force and keep your foot there, while you start the engine. The pedal should immediately drop at least an inch, as the booster comes on-line; this is normal.But the pedal should NOT get spongy. It may however have a different feel than without the engine running.

Take note; with New Shoes on old drums or machined drums, the curvatures of each will not likely be matched to the other. This means that the shoes will only be contacting the drums in a small window, no matter how hard you press on the pedal. And that means, until the shoes "break in", you will not be able to stop the car in the normal distance. So Don't run over anybody, or crash into something.
This break-in time can take hundreds of stops. More if you glaze the shoes by cooking them. This break-in time can be all but eliminated by having the pads ground at a brake-shop, to match the drums. I highly recommend to have this done, at least to the fronts.
Happy HotRodding.

Last edited:
That era car had res line pressure valves to drum brakes & will NOT gravity bleed. Also drum brakes need an initial adjustment to minimise wheel cyl travel. Excessive travel will result in a low pedal.

Pedal goes to floor & is firm. Is it firm because there is no air in the system? If so, it needs a p'rod adjustment/change to reduce travel.
If it is firm because the M/C internals have bottomed out, then there is air in the system, faulty m/c or drum brake adjustment.

ok.... thank you so very much. Explain initial agistment pls.

I adjust the star wheel on ea brake assy (all 4 wheels) so i have minimum or a slight drag. Ea wheel has just about the same drum shoe separation when I measure across from outside shoe to outside shoe (horizontal measurement). Brake shoes are new and drums within clearance.

People say adjust the star wheel, so brake shoes are totally against drums and then bleed each side with helper in the car. Next back off star wheel so slight drag. I will try this method after M/C bleeding again.

People say adjust the star wheel, so brake shoes are totally against drums and then bleed each side with helper in the car. Next back off star wheel so slight drag. I will try this method after M/C bleeding again.
this is correct.
With new shoes on old drums, the curvatures are guaranteed not to match. To see what I mean just lay a shoe in the drum and see how much "rocking action" you get. Earlier I said that this means a small contact window. But not only that, but now, a lot of pedal pressure will force the drum to try to flex into conformity with the shoes. If it succeeds, then the drum will become oval and possibly/probably "bell-mouthed", which can become permanent during use. But the point I want to make, is that with the car stopped , the drum will act like a spring, and make the pedal feel spongy.
Furthermore, with the mismatched curvatures, the only way, on the car, to bring them into conformity, is to use them, which will take a really long time. To speed things up, you want a modest amount of drag, by the star-adjusters.

Last edited:
-
Back