69 A56 '340 Cuda

-

pa karp

Reaction score
I just joined the forum and have made a couple of comments on other threads. I am out of the fine state of South Dakota.

I consider myself lucky and I was able to order a 69 A56 340 'Cuda with a 4 speed and 3:91 gears back in March of 1969, taking delivery in May.

Had a lot of fun with it! 325/350 hp Camaros or Chevelles were not a problem. Neither were the 335 HP GTO's, Firebirds, 442's or Buick GS's.

I have attached some photo's from the glory years. I think I have found the car and am going to see if I can buy it back.

Pa karp:burnout:

Attachments

• 69 '340 Cuda 51720130001.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,298
Very cool! Keep us posted and welcome! That would be an awesome story if it works out. Not sure if it is one of the cars listed here, but here is a defunct A56 registry. If I were more web savvy I would take it over and expand it to A57s, A56s, and A53s. No need for A13s since BB-Dave maintains one I think.
http://web.archive.org/web/20041208135252/http://cudanet.com/340registry1.htm

Very cool, nice old pics!!! Do you know what the vin# was on your old car? There is a Y2 340 coupe on the list that 69CudaFan posted the link to. It is a 4speed with 3:91 rear also.

I just talked to John Iverson from Iverson Chrysler Center in Mitchell, SD. They only go back 12 years with sales records.

I was going to try to get a copy of the original sales order with the VIN. Unfortunately, he could not come up with it. He was going to do some more checking in their old records.

Pa karp

I looked at the registry on the Y2 code. I got home from the US Army on March 17th, 1969. I ordered the car the next week. So would not have been built before then.

I took delivery the 1st week of May, 1969. The car was the honey moon ride, as I was married on the 10th of May.

The 1st race was at the old Sioux City, Iowa dragstrip, in late May. I had 1500 miles on the car and still had the dealer plates in place. 1st trophy that week end, about 4 lengths on a very un happy 1969 350 hp SS 396 Chevelle owner! I think about 14:50 at 99 mph.

Lots of good memories with that ride. It was fun to rule the E/Pure Stock class at Thunder Valley, Marion, SD. That, it did!

Pa karp

How about a little story on whippin' on a Ford. I came around the clover leaf from I-29 to I-90 north of Sioux Falls, SD one fine summer day in 1969. Turning West on to I 90, I noticed a black '66 Mustang 271 HP 289 right on my tail.

He pulled beside me and gave me the "wanna go" sign. We stopped, and I told him to count to 3, about a 1/4 mile later, he was a good 5 car lengths behind me.

He stayed back, turned off at the next exit. I never say that car again.

I remember it well, 2 4speeds chirping:D tires at every shift. To be young again!

Pa karp

Welcome,a notch fan myself. The stories and pictures, cool as hell. Good luck,on your endeavor.

Welcome neighbor, I have owned my 66 over 35yrs and last year I found and contacted the original owner. Good luck

Great stories!! What's the story on finding the car that you believe is your old car? Other than verifying the vin# did you do anything to the car that you can look for now and know it was yours?
What front seat did you have, folding bench, folding bench with center arm rest, or buckets?

I contacted last owner that I knew of in 1995. I left a message for his step dad to have him call me this week.

I talked to a neighbor of his step dad on Thursday. As far as he knew, the gentleman still had the car.

I hope to know yet this week end. it would be awsome to get it back!

The car had a folding bench. I ordered it as light as possible.

Pa karp

I contacted last owner that I knew of in 1995. I left a message for his step dad to have him call me this week.

I talked to a neighbor of his step dad on Thursday. As far as he knew, the gentleman still had the car.

I hope to know yet this week end. it would be awsome to get it back!

The car had a folding bench. I ordered it as light as possible.

Pa karp

Very good info to hear for you!!
So does that mean NO center folding armrest? If so looks like black interior which would be L2X on the fender tag. Rare to see a base line front bench!!!!

Couple of pictures to keep you going in the pursuit of your car!!!! Y2 yellow twin to your original car, 4 speed, 3.91 rear!! Build sheet to prove it!!

Attachments

• SCAN0044.JPG@50%.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,118
  • SCAN0036.JPG@50%.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,129
  • SCAN0033.JPG@50%.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,128
  • SCAN0037.JPG@50%.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,118
  • SCAN0041.JPG@50%.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,117
  • SCAN0042.JPG@50%.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,110
That Y2 be the twin! it would be fun to hop in behind the steering wheel and row the gears again, if i could fit behind the wheel! lol

The interior of mine was black and had a standard bench seat. it was no frills
i have more stories, will post later! it is fun to re live one's youth!

My 1st 2 new car purchases were '68 Road Runners, yes 2! Story there also

Pa karp

Left a message for the last owner that I was aware of Sunday night. Impatiently waiting for a return call.

Got another cool story. There was a storied dance hall, Ruskin Park, about 4 miles from my home town. Rock and Roll every Saturday night during the summer that would draw kids from 100 miles every direction.

One Saturday night, around 7:30, I took the long way home, Hwy 34, and I met the local highway patrol man, John Groseth, who was a really good guy, treated us kids well. Lights come on, he turns around and stops me. I got out and said "John, I was only going 55, he said, I know, I just wanted to look at your car". The HP were driving Plymouth Furys, with 375 hp 440's, no slouches either.

We talked for a good 20 minutes, hood up, as I gave him all the details on the car. "Hey, thanks Curt, but I had better get back to patrolling".

Thinking afterward, John was a smart HP. He left his lights on the whole time, he got to see the car, and he slowed down about 100 vehicles that were headed to the dance! I saw him years later, and we had a good chuckle about "the stop"!

Pa karp

I got a call tonight from the gentleman that I had last contacted on the car. He sold it, running#'s matching, except the 3:91's had been changed to3:23's about 8 years ago for the grand sum of $1500 bucks!
](*,)
I could cry! He thought the car had been wrecked. He did give me the name of the gentleman that bought it from him. I am going to try and get in contact with him. Wish me luck!

Pa karp

Cool stories..thanks for the updates.....good luck on your search.

-
Back