69 A56 '340 Cuda

-
I just found this thread and read every post. What an awesome story, props to BB-DAVE. I hope you have a blast with the car. :burnout:

More A bodies! Darts this time. I just was doing some radio work at a customer's location out in the country. In one of his equipment qounsets sits 2 mid 60's Darts, one was a 170 and the other a GT hardtop. My customer was not there, so I could not ask him what year they were or what engines were in them. Both were in pretty decent shape!

Curt Rees

Very cool story! Looking forward to recent pictures of you and the car.
Think you still have the trophies still stached in the garage Curt?

Yes, I still have the trophies. They have traveled many miles and lived in many different places over the years. I thought about throwing them away, but always decided to keep them.

Once the car is running, I plan on having a photo taken with a similar pose including the trophies. I might even go back to the farm that the original photos were taken at to do it. Once I have them, I will post the old and new.

I just added a photo of the completed engine compartment. The exhaust is scheduled to be finished this Friday. She may run again this Saturday!

Pa karp (Curt Rees):burnout:

Attachments

• 'Cuda Engine 31720140001.pdf
    702 KB · Views: 212
Curt,

It will look much better once it is off that trailer and running under its own power again!

I cant wait to see your duplicate picture, nearly 45 years later!

Love how your car is turning out. :burnout:

Shane

Shane, it has been a project! When I am finished, it will be gone through mechanically from one end to the other.

I still have to put grease seals in the rear axles. And I will probably replace the rear brake cylinders while I am at it.

I found out the heater core leaks and will have to removed and repaired. That should not be to bad of a project, won't need it for the summer anyway.

My body man redid the complete engine bay and under the hood. Next winter, we are going to re do the complete car, dings, dents and paint. It is driveable and looks good the way it is, but it really needs to be redone. There is some interior work that needs to be done also, but I have a guy here locally that can take of that.

It will be driven "as is" this summer. The mechanical parts will all be taken care of now, then the rest of the cosmetics later.

Curt Rees:burnout:

Fired up the 340 today, 1st time in many years! It sounds good. Still have some issues to resolve, a 1 gear 4 speed for one. More then likely mostly shifter adjustment will fix that problem.

I do have serious rear end issues and will probably replace the 741 with a 489. I will still use 3:91 gears.

Funny story, when the 340 fired, there was probably a half pound of mouse nest that came out the mufflers and tail pipes! lol

I did drive it a short distance. Could not go far with just 2nd gear. I have a MOPAR guru working on it now, so it won't take long to get the bugs out.

Curt Rees:burnout:

I found a good 742 3:55 Sure Grip and replaced the 741 that was in the 'Cuda. Unfortunately the 3:91's were bad. I have found the correct 3:91's for the car and may eventually put them in.

After a month of tinkering and fixing the bugs, I took the car out for the "maiden" voyage again after 45 years! I am still grinnin' this morning!

Pa karp:burnout:

4 speeds rule! lol

:cheers:

:thumbup:

Awesome! I am sure that was somewhat of an emotional event! Old friends reunited, still a great story!

Congrats Curt!

Shane

Shane,

Still have some things to do. Shocks are next and a good front end alignment.

Head liner needs to be patched and dummy me climbed into the back seat to clean, rotten threads ripped in the seat. There is a good upholstery man here that can repair those issues.

Dash lights worked for a short time. Looks like a ground issue there, which should not be to bad of a fix. Radio is being rebuilt, should have that back soon.

I pulled the heater box and replaced the core. I plan on putting that back in this week end.

The body work and paint will be done over the winter. I plan on driving it "as is" this summer.

Pa karp

PS I "accidently" chirped the tires on the low to 2nd shift last night......:burnout:

Awesome. Chirp some more and feel good about it!!!!

Drove the "Cuda to the Murdo car show. Came back with a survivor trophy! 1st one since 1969. Won one then 1st time out, one another 1st time to a car show. Life is good.

I drove the 'Cuda to my home town's annual watermelon festival and car show Sat 8/9/2014. Attached is a photo taken in front of the town of Forestburg's old post office. My uncle was the post master for 33 years in the town.

The 'Cuda set in the same location as this photo many times , 45 years ago. Memories!

I did get a car show trophy also. And got to visit with many old friends. A good day!

Attachments

• IMG_0379 (800x600).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 204
Great news! Keep pulling in the hardware at these shows, and redo the picture from 45 years ago!

I FINALLY got to make a pass down the strip with the 'Cuda after MANY, MANY issues! Two chunks, one with 3:55's, one with 3:91's, two flywheels, pressure plates and clutch discs, severe oil pan leak, bent water pump pulley etc! WHEW what a project it has been!

After not driving a 4 speed for 45 years, I do have a learning curve. I only got one not so decent pass, up in smoke low gear, 15:81 at 93 mph.

The 45 year old rear springs are not up to the task, so that is going to be a winter time project. The car pulled hard to 6000 rpm and I took my time shifting. Once the bugs are out, it will be a 14 second car again, that was my goal.:burnout:

Curt Rees

Curt, glad to here your enjoying your "new, old toy"!!!!!!!!! Still got the A56, 4spd, B5 fastback, EXPORT car if your brother or brother inlaw is interested???

-
Back