'69 Barracuda In Georgia

-

2831fun

Reaction score
Hello Folks,
I wanted to introduce myself. I am Ben, in North Georgia. Celebrating my 50th birthday, I went on line to find the perfect "Midlife Crisis" birthday present. Ended up on "FABO", and purchased a really nice '69 Barracuda Coupe. It is F8 Green with black bucket seat interior, 318 auto. I have big plans for it, that will probably take until the 60th birthday to finish.

My ultimate goal for the car is a quick and reliable "'60s muscle car".

First thing was to find a 340, no problem on FABO. I would like to change to a 4 spd, or 5 spd, but I have a good 727 now, so whats the hurry.

Next project, the dash bezel. The original was faded, and had been cut for a modern radio. I now have a rechromed original, but will have to find a thumbwheel radio for the car. Do they make a thumbwheel FM?

Next plan is to do away with the puny 9" drums on the front. Easy enough to find disks, but I have to decide to say with 4" or 4.25" lug pattern, that will affect the wheel choice. Everything affects something else doesn't it.
The car was origionally a slant 6, so do I need to change the K member, or just motor mounts?

I'm also no too crazy about the power steering, its like driving a cruize ship. Is there an easy way to quicken up the steering?

Plan to rebuild suspension, brakes, engine, trans, cooling system, audio, exhaust. I'm sure other things along the way. I'm sure the paint will also be freshened up before its all over.

I want to keep the car on the road for all these mods, so I hope I can resist the tempation to take the car all apart for months on end.

I really enjoy the website, I'll post some pictures of the car as progress takes place.

I'll post some items to the "parts wanted" section.
Thanks for everything, Ben

Glad you found us. Sounds like a good car, you dont see a lot of notchbacks. You got the right idea about keeping it on the road while your working on it, it sucks just looking at it and not being able to drive it.

Well hi there Ben from another Ben here in Anderson SC
Welcome to our nightmare LOL which is the A-body. Sooo many options and paths to consider.
You will find answers to most of your questions here somewhere.
I'm not understanding your comments concerning power steering. I haven't driven a cruise ship though. I love my power steering with a smaller diameter steering wheel. Anyway...
Congrats on reaching the big FIVE-O and Happy moparing :)

Welcome. Sounds like you have some good plans for the Barracuda. All of the changes you want to make are pretty easy. Changing from a 318 to a 340 is just a matter of getting the right motor mounts as long as you already have a V8 K-frame. Upgrading to 4.5" bolt pattern can be done up by getting the disk brakes off of a 73 and up A-body. Changing to an 8 3/4 rear is a bolt in process and axles can be bought new with large bolt pattern. Ditching the power steering is also easy, especially if the engine is going to come out. Get a manual steering box from most any old mopar and an adapter for your steering column. All easy stuff but you will be parting with some $$.

Attachments

• 05-21-10_1751.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 281
Welcome Ben from another North Georgia boy.

Let us know if you need any help, hopefully we can get you going quicker than expected and you can take the spot next to the black 69 next time around.

11-2.jpg

100_3387.jpg

well ben, nice to see you introduce yourself. i am glad to have met you, and to know the engine and trans went to a great home.

FABO, BTW, BEN IS A AWESOME GUY, AND WHAT HE SAYS, HE DOES. AWESOME TO DO BUSINEES WITH AND A PLEASURE TO MEET

Welcome to FABO!

Bruce in Middle Georgia here.

Need anything checked on in my area drop me a PM or call.

Later,
Bruce B.

Welcome aboard from another cuda owner! Lots of good people here, with a TON of knowledge. You should be able to find everything ya need right here. Happy 50th!

-
Back