69 Valiant 340

-
today i cleaned up my backing plates for the rear and primed and painted (1 side anyway) them. 2morro i will post more pictures as i will be painting the complete rear. i also added my t shirt i was wearing 2night. mopar t shirts never get old.

resto#1 346.JPG

resto#1 347.JPG

resto#1 348.JPG

heres the rear end painted. 3 coates of primer and 4 coates of topfinish. at the ends of the housing you can see some pitting but its not that bad....the housing is 30 some odd years old.

resto#1 349.JPG

resto#1 350.JPG

resto#1 351.JPG

thanks man...any of you guys know where i can get just the lower shock mount bolt?...im getting the plates through mopar performance so i can get the lower shock mount pivot to fit the drag shocks...

heres a pic of the upper shock mount i put a wanted add up for...the threads are stripped on it from the last choch who put it together....anyway, if you guys have one...let me know please...

resto#1 341.JPG

well dudes and dudettes...today i received my rear hangers...1 drag shock...and 8 3/4 u-bolts. 2morro the parts guy should be bringing my ss springs, shock plates and other shock. today, i also ordered my custom alloy axles from moser. with green bearings and long wheel studs...thos should show up on friday.

resto#1 352.JPG

resto#1 353.JPG

resto#1 354.JPG

Looks good. I have to the front and rear leaf spring mounts on my '73 Swinger. Good luck on your project.

Looks good, nice car and nice work. If I may make one suggestion though, send that big yellow coil back, they aren't any good. For their size you'd think they would be powerful but they aren't. You'd be better off with a stock type coil. MSD makes one that is stock size and works real well.

Wow.:tongue9:
You are moving right along Kid!!:thumbrig:
You are doing a great job and this thread is looking good.
Thanks for sharing and I will be watching.
Looks like you have everything going your way!

Boy I wish I was a kid again.8)

thanks mikeskies...tonight i primed and painted my front shackles and rear hangers for the leaf springs....i will be getting my center section soon...and i will post pictures of it going in...

put in the new super stock springs, 8 3/4 dif and shocks and etc...this week ill be dumping the axles, center section, brakes and measuring for custom rims...

resto#1 376.jpg

resto#1 379.JPG

resto#1 373.JPG

hey guys...i put my 3.91 gear set and moser axles in....i also tried to put my new drums on and found that they didnt fit....looks like 1/2" wider drum than it needs to be. this is the 2nd set of drums i bought from the parts warehouse. since they are retards at weavers.... i told them to look up a 69 roadrunner 8 3/4 rear end with 10 inch brakes...the holes fit on the axle fine...just 1/2" too deep...it hits the backing plate before the axle flange....i need help guys...anyone need a really nice set of 55$ drums....and does anyone have ones that will work?!?!??!

resto#1 383.JPG

resto#1 382.JPG

resto#1 380.JPG

i know you guys have some answers!
I wouldn't claim to be an expert on brakes..but I do know that 10 inch A bodies have narrower drums than B bodies(roadrunners) from owning both.
I'm guessing you bought 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern axles which probably means you will need 73 up A body drums..
If you have 4 inch bolt pattern axles you'll need the 67-72 a body drums.
They are hard to find at local parts stores ... I ordered my last set from Napa auto.

from whatdbp said...i think im going to have to get the 73 and up a body drums. those would be big bolt pattern then?...because yes i have big bolt pattern axles. these old cars are such a headache!

yeah, i ran onto this on my axle swap. i tried to use the small bolt backing plates with big bolt drums. needless to say, didnt work too well.
and i have a complete set of 10X2 1/2 rear brales, minus parking brake cables if youre interested. i swapped to 11X3

Michael

ordered my polyloc motor mounts today....and was going to order my tti's...but they are only open from 8-4. what kinda manly working hours are those?!...must be nice

What rear brakes you use depends on how Moser built the axles. They can make them so you can use the A body brakes but you will need to have them re drill the drums.

Usually the make the axles to use B/E/C body brakes in which case you will need B/E/C body backing plates and drums.

yeah, i had the a body drums redrilled ....it covers the shoe but not by much.....my car will never see rain anyway so....im ok with it...thanks tho...

so i have my rear end done except for gear lube and setting the pinion angle...that will come later. the valiant has a new lease on life...with the ss springs and drag shocks from mopar along with poly bushings.....its as solid as a rock....and looks pretty tuff.

resto#1 384.JPG

resto#1 385.JPG

resto#1 386.JPG

resto#1 389.JPG

A new stance changes the whole attitude of the car. Nice work.

I recently finished a similar job on my car, was very satisfying to see it go from granny to menacing.

Greg

-
Back