'69 with a '72 318 - I need hoses

-

SF_Ripper

Reaction score
Experts! I have a '69 Barracuda w original radiator non A/C car - with a '72 318 in it and, I'm looking to replace the hoses. Flex-hose works up top but, I'd like to find a source for the lower hose... (1-5/8" I.D.). Anyone got a link/part number?
EDIT: Inflow and out on radiator are on the driver's side. W/P is aluminum - exit is on passenger's side.

Last edited:
if you have the original radiator, then the bottom hose should be on the driver side. if you have the 69 water pump, it also exits on the bottom on the driver side.

If this is the case, you use the stock 69 radiator hose. You can buy it at Rock auto.

stock radiator and water pump (this is DS exit waterpump/ DS in rad)
upper: gates 20602
lower: gates 20386

WP is on passenger's side (aluminum) so, it's gotta travel below the crank pulley to the driver's side of the radiator.

WP is on passenger's side (aluminum) so, it's gotta travel below the crank pulley to the driver's side of the radiator.
Than you should consider either tracking down the correct 69 timing cover, water pump, pulleys & brackets (All hard to find) or a radiator with the 70 & up hose locations (easy & not that expensive)

If you've got the '72 water pump (aluminum, passenger side inlet) and the '69 radiator (driver's side outlet), there's not much you can do other than cobble together a set of hoses to pass under the engine to the opposite side. The right way to do it would be to either change out the water pump (which may necessitate a different pulley system) or change to a '70 and later radiator (easiest by far).

If you've got the '72 water pump (aluminum, passenger side inlet) and the '69 radiator (driver's side outlet), there's not much you can do other than cobble together a set of hoses to pass under the engine to the opposite side. The right way to do it would be to either change out the water pump (which may necessitate a different pulley system) or change to a '70 and later radiator (easiest by far).
This is what I was thinking but - someone's got to have experienced this before. I thought I'd take a shot and see if this is so. Otherwise, I'll grab a new radiator.

Don’t change waterpump. I have done that change. Lots of complications.

A few ideas:

1. You may be able to get a radiator shop to move the bottom outlet. I used to do this myself back in the day when I was younger and poorer.

2. You can get a new radiator for a 70-72. If you do, watch the thickness. Aftermarket radiators are usually thicker & set closer to the engine. The aluminum water pump is about 3/4 inch thicker than the 69, so you are already probably close.

3. Some ford trucks have a long bottom hose that goes from side to side, so it can be done with no issues, just need a long enough hose. Sounds like that is what you have now.

This is what I was thinking but - someone's got to have experienced this before. I thought I'd take a shot and see if this is so. Otherwise, I'll grab a new radiator.
Just grab a radiator. You'll never forgive yourself for trying to rube goldberg that lower hose.

just after i had fired that off i thought, ah, hell, i bet he's got the pass side outlet WP

so, one way to do it, would be to buy a lower hose (or two) and use sections to make the appropriate bends with a solid piece of copper or alum pipe in the center for the bridge from DS to pass side.

i've done this, and it came out relatively clean. just remember to flare or roll a bead on the pipe for the rubber to bite.

the easiest would probably be sourcing a new radiator, though.

Looks like this. One of the ends may have been cut.

IMG_6683.jpg

Than you should consider either tracking down the correct 69 timing cover, water pump, pulleys & brackets (All hard to find) or a radiator with the 70 & up hose locations (easy & not that expensive)
I'm still trying to find the correct pulleys! UGH!

70 & up small block shouldn't be that tough... A/C? Power Steering?

If you swapped it back to 69 & earlier it would be allot tougher..
I've just ordered what I think will be the last water pump pulley. As it is now - I have two extra water pump pulleys and one extra crank pulley. I'm crossing my fingers that this is the one, on the way. I bought the car with the wrong brackets on the power steering, and A/C pulleys on the rest - it's a non A/C car. I can drive it but, it would be nice to have power steering. Slowly, it's coming together.

If you run a Saginaw power steering pump on a 69 cuda with the 70 up ps brackets, your power steering pressure hose will hit the motor mount stand. Don’t ask how I know…..

If you run a Saginaw power steering pump on a 69 cuda with the 70 up ps brackets, your power steering pressure hose will hit the motor mount stand. Don’t ask how I know…..
I know. It took me quite a while to figure out how to get around that one!

Any radiator shop can do one of the below things.

1. Move the lower hose tube to the pass side of the radiator.
  2. Replace the bottom tank with a later model year with pass side hose tube.

Experts! I have a '69 Barracuda w original radiator non A/C car - with a '72 318 in it and, I'm looking to replace the hoses. Flex-hose works up top but, I'd like to find a source for the lower hose... (1-5/8" I.D.). Anyone got a link/part number?
EDIT: Inflow and out on radiator are on the driver's side. W/P is aluminum - exit is on passenger's side.
I had the same problems about 25 years ago when I finished the first restoration on my 69 340 Barracuda. It had an incorrect radiator. I had trouble finding radiator hoses. I made a rather detailed sketch of the area and sketched in what would fit (i.e. needed bends) and outlet/inlet sizes. Then I went to my local NAPA, and the guy let me go in back and just look through the hoses. I found two that would work. The lower radiator hose only needed to be trimmed a bit on one end, and the upper needed a bit of trimming on both ends. I wound up going to Topeka Belt and Hose and had a custom high pressure PS hose made. It was actually cheaper to do that than buy a new one that did not fit.

I had the same problems about 25 years ago when I finished the first restoration on my 69 340 Barracuda. It had an incorrect radiator. I had trouble finding radiator hoses. I made a rather detailed sketch of the area and sketched in what would fit (i.e. needed bends) and outlet/inlet sizes. Then I went to my local NAPA, and the guy let me go in back and just look through the hoses. I found two that would work. The lower radiator hose only needed to be trimmed a bit on one end, and the upper needed a bit of trimming on both ends. I wound up going to Topeka Belt and Hose and had a custom high pressure PS hose made. It was actually cheaper to do that than buy a new one that did not fit.
This is what I wound up doing for the hose. I also had to have a custom high-pressure p/s line made, as well.

-
Back