6x9 speakers not fitting.

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
torn out the ruined package tray that PO had made out of peg board. got some JVC 6x9 speakers. Get ready to place them in and they dont fit. Speaker frame on speaker is about 1/8 to wide so speaker will not sit in tray.
Has anyone had any success buying new speakers that actually fit?
What I got was:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BBGILIA/?tag=joeychgo-20

JVC CSV6938 6-Inch x 9-Inch 3-Way

I have a few options which I'd rather not entertain. #1, enlarge speaker hole with angle grinder? #2 , shave off part of speaker frame with dremel?

#3: have speaker sit up ontop of package try insert, but that will look totally lame.

Anyone have a speaker part # that will fit?? Calgon take me awayyy

Awesome thank for the link. I remember back in the late 80's, everyone had a boner for Alpine. These Alpines are out of my budget, considering I paid $35 for the JVC pair. I find it very depressing that the cut outs for the speakers on the 66 Dart are not accepting the newer speakers. uggss

Yeah man. I just installed a set of Polk 6x9 3ways.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have not tried fitting my infinity 6x9s in my 67 cuda yet, but i was going to mount them up from the bottom inside the trunk using studs and nuts hanging down from the package tray. I will be running a repop package tray with slots cut in it, so it all appears stock.

I dunno if thats a route you want to take, mounting the speakers up from the underside of the package tray.

Matt

They mount from underneath.

I have mounted a few brands and they all fit. Take a good hard look at where you are mounting them

My 6×9 JVC units dropped right in, and they came with a plastic 1" riser to elevate the frame for use in smaller cutouts.

@ AIV, you saying your Polks just dropped in?

Mounting from below is possible, but that drops the speaker way below. Obviously the package tray is designed to allow a 6x9 to drop in from the top and be supported.. Also I have 3 speaker holes for whatever reason.

I was hoping to be able to mount the speaker grill ontop and let it hold the tray in place. Might need some 2in screws to make it all work. Will mess around today and see what happens.

thanks for all the ideas.

I have installed a BUNCH and I mean A BUNCH of 6x9 speakers in old cars with package trays. Not one single time did I install them from above. That's why the grill screws are long.

Obviously the package tray is designed to allow a 6x9 to drop in from the top and be supported.. Also I have 3 speaker holes for whatever reason.

This is incorrect. They are made to mount underneath the tray like RRR said. The third hole is for a defroster.

The speakers I mentioned dropped in from the top. fit like a glove. These could go either way.

I have installed a BUNCH and I mean A BUNCH of 6x9 speakers in old cars with package trays. Not one single time did I install them from above. That's why the grill screws are long.

Same here. I installed numerous stereo systems for guys in the 80's. I've seen a few guys mount them from the top but I never did and never had any trouble.

@ AIV, you saying your Polks just dropped in?

Mounting from below is possible, but that drops the speaker way below. Obviously the package tray is designed to allow a 6x9 to drop in from the top and be supported.. Also I have 3 speaker holes for whatever reason.

I was hoping to be able to mount the speaker grill ontop and let it hold the tray in place. Might need some 2in screws to make it all work. Will mess around today and see what happens.

thanks for all the ideas.

I installed mine from the top like you want. They came with a 1/2 inch collar that worked great as a spacer and press against the package tray and prevent it from crushing down. I used 1-1/2 screws and uclips to hold it down. They sit real nice and don't hang down much underneath.

I agree the speaker area is recessed to house the speaker so they can be installed from either the top or the bottom. Tomato/tomatoe.

-
Back