70 Dart Custom

-
Great job Mike,can't wait to see it in real life! Let us know when you get it on the road!:cheers:

Thanks Mark, I'll stop by soon with it, maybe in a few weeks even. Hoping to take it to the Penticton Beach Cruise show this June. You and your wife are welcome to join the group if you're up for it.

My cousin gave me a hand tuning it today. We upped the primary jets which took care of the hesitation, and set the timing again. For some reason it's 38 advanced but only 2 initial. Anyways, it's scary quick, handles great, and is very comfortable. Got about 100 thumbs up in town too.

The 340 would idle at about 700 RPM, but when you would rev it up it would stay at 2000 RPM. We finally figured out if you unplug the vacuum advance, it would settle back down. So the brand new Mopar Performance distributor out of the box had problems. I tried the one from my Valiant, which apparently has no vacuum at all (?? News to me ??), and then tried the dist out of my Barracuda, which we found out has already been re curved. It is running great now, and is scary fast. Had it out for about 30 minutes tonight down the highway and had a ton of "Nice car!!" comments. Felt pretty good.

Mark, you doing the fathers day show in Qualicum next weekend? I'm considering it.

Good looking dart Mike,nice job. If I don't catch up with you after the swap meet, we are registered for the father's day show in Qualicum, #399.

Great job Mike! Sounds like you are having a blast with it. Next years trip should be to Moparfest in it!! Ahh by the way where's the video/sound clips??

Bob, I'm registered as #500. I'll hopefully be parked next to Paul Uren, the guy who did my body/paint. He'll have a 59 Caddy with new Corvette running gear he's building, and an old Merc he's doing.

Sounds good Bob, I just registered for the show. If you want, I'll meet you somewhere and we could try to park together.
Mike I'm coming up with a couple of other guys as well. We're leaving Mill Bay 1:00pm Friday and staying up until end of show Sunday. The other guys registered sooner than I did so they are in the first set of cars. Sounds like we'll be able to figure it out once I'm up there.:glasses7:

The 340 would idle at about 700 RPM, but when you would rev it up it would stay at 2000 RPM. We finally figured out if you unplug the vacuum advance, it would settle back down. So the brand new Mopar Performance distributor out of the box had problems. I tried the one from my Valiant, which apparently has no vacuum at all (?? News to me ??), and then tried the dist out of my Barracuda, which we found out has already been re curved. It is running great now, and is scary fast. Had it out for about 30 minutes tonight down the highway and had a ton of "Nice car!!" comments. Felt pretty good.

Mark, you doing the fathers day show in Qualicum next weekend? I'm considering it.

Hi Mike, yes, I'm registered at #372...all entrants must pre-register again...not sure when the cut-off is. Let me know if you're going. Wouldn't mind taking in the cruise again.

Here's a nice picture the news took of my car in the cruise.

996188_478814515533588_1191440877_n.jpg

Well, I put a new voltage regulator in the dash, and did a bunch of reading on here which said if it's grounded, the better. I grounded it, and saw smoke. I pulled the cluster out to find that a copper strip on the circuit board melted. Along with that, some of the prongs were loose. I pulled the cluster out of my 1969 Dart parts car, and the circuit board was perfect. I don't think it's ever been out of the car. I installed a new voltage regulator, and ran a ground lead from one of the ground screws to the dash frame. Since I had the cluster out, I decided to paint the trim around the woodgrain silver/chrome, since it was all pretty faded.
Re installed, the gas gauge now works (first time in 10+ years of owning it that it's worked), and the dash lights all work now too. The trim looks 100x better as well.
In dropping the steering column to remove the cluster, I misaligned the shifter linkage. When I crawled under the car to re align it, I saw that the linkage from frame rail to transmission was really loose, because both bolts holding the brackets in place were stripped. I pounded out the transmission mount bolt, and welded in another. Tightened it up, and problem solved. I was having problems starting the car before this because Park wasn't functioning properly, so the Neutral Safety switch would sometimes engage and other times not, but it seems to be fixed now.

Hopefully will be taking it to a show in Shawnigan Lake with Mark (moopa) this Sunday.

Your car is looking great \mike, especially the action shot....how did you get a hold of tha pic??
Yes,I went to the show last year, and it was quite decent. A nice venue at the private school grounds. It's good to get out to some different shows and see a few new cars. If the weather is nice, there should be a good turnout. Was looking forward to going to the Canada Day show on Saltspring, but I'm flying back to Moose Jaw on Monday.
Mike let's touch base on Saturday to see how it looks for taking the trip to Shawnigan Lake.

Mark

The pictures are on Facebook. If you have Facebook, do a search for Parksville Qualicum Beach News, or try pqbnews.com and the pictures should be there. They got everyone's car/truck in that same spot, all good pictures.

I'll most likely go to the show even if you don't make it, but it'd be nice to know someone there.
We'll talk Saturday and figure out a good time for me to meet you in Cedar.
I'll look into the Saltspring one as well.

-
Back