70 dart R/T???

-
It was not ment to be rude. Reading back on it, I can see how it could be taken that way. Sorry.

Jeremy

No problem Jeremy. Just one of those things that happens when you don't actually hear the tone of voice used. That makes all the difference sometimes. Thanks for the clarification and your input to the thread. Lots of good info.

Tracy

I think somebody has the N412 and N42 codes confused....
The N41 code is for dual exhaust which was standard on 340s.
The N42 code is for the optional chrome tips. Cars shipped to Carbafornia could not get the tips as they needed the turndowns as part of the
N97 Noise Reduction Package.
If I remember correctly, about the only cars that had chrome tips as standard equipment were the 67 GTX and the T/A and AAR cars.

P2072516.jpg
And Formula S Barracudas.

I don't think T/As, AARs, and LREs could be sold in Kalifornia because of the exhaust

Why could an A Body not have been an F series prototype?

Numerous examples of N41 and N42 exist. Coding depends on year and applications.

M is a legitimate 70 VON letter and A bodies with an M VON code exist.

Numerous models came with Chome tips standard such as Super Bees and Coronet R/Ts

I've stayed out of this thread for a while but was was intriguing about the first post is the information supposedly on the tag. There is nothing that was posted that makes the tag info suspect or indicates by the data posted the car is not legitimate. The one thing that is interesting is it is supposedly a 383-4speed A/C car.

IF a car like this WAS built, all of the codes listed by the OP are codes you would expect or could find on the car described.
Why would any car be a prototype for a completely different model line? Have you ever seen something like that? Yes, someone posted a fender tag with N41 and N42, I had just never seen one and it didn't seem to make sense. Everything I have ever read said the only cars with an "M" in the VON were the AARs, although I think the T/A registry has one T/A with an "M" in its VON.

IF a car like this WAS built, all of the codes listed by the OP are codes you would expect or could find on the car described.
Maybe, but not in the order he listed. The body color listed again among the other options and a couple out of alphabetical order? No way.

Maybe, but not in the order he listed. The body color listed again among the other options and a couple out of alphabetical order? No way.

You've never seen a fender tag with body color and roof color posted on different lines? Is that what you are saying? I'm really unclear.

What is out of alphabetical order here?

F SERIES PROTOTYPE END
H51 M43 N41 N42 RLL V5X
EK2 B51 C16 C55 F11 G31
EK2 HX69 TX9 801 M04116
E63 D21 LS23 N0R 100031

That's what the tag MIGHT have looked like. I didn't rearrange anything other than to put break where they would normally occur. I see one or two things, now, that might be a little strange, but, I'll keep that to myself.

My December 1, 1969, Windsor built, 1970 Swinger 340 has two FY1 paint codes listed on the tag, one for the body, second for the roof.

I will tell you this... 69CoronetRT is one of THE most knowlegdable people when it comes to fender tags, BAR NONE!

Here's an earlish 70 Duster Hammy tag for you... note the two paint codes.

duster tag 222410.JPG

Why would any car be a prototype for a completely different model line? Good, and legitimate, question...Yet from all we've seen, a 383 Dart was not supposed to be built in 70. Maybe somebody changed their mind about the products for '70 and said, "Hey, maybe we shouldn't have dropped the 383 from the Dart line up. Let's try one in the new body style and see if it would work. If it does, maybe we'll release it." I don't have a problem with a car having prototype on the tag.

Have you ever seen something like that? No but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Yes, someone posted a fender tag with N41 and N42, I had just never seen one and it didn't seem to make sense. Everything I have ever read said the only cars with an "M" in the VON were the AARs, although I think the T/A registry has one T/A with an "M" in its VON. While some is known about the use of SO and VON codes, many questions remain as to exactly why certain codes were used and when they were used. Some codes have a different meaning when combined with other codes or options.

M VONs can be seen in just about every body line. Below are A, B and E body tags with M codes.

A special built or prototype car would probably carry a specialty VON code of some sort.

My point is this...there is nothing from the tag codes listed in the original post that disqualfies this car from being what is described. I have one small question on the codes but what is listed is consistent with what one would expect to find on a car as described. Does that mean the car in question is actually a 70 Dart 383 four speed prototype? I don't know but there is nothing from the tag data that proves it isn't. I for one would love to see a picture of the tag.

Someone with moderate knowledge of tag layout could make up a fake car/tag. It wouldn't be that hard to do. Does the original poster have that ability?

Sorry, Crackedback, I had to tweak the format a little to show the Windsor plant layout. The three Xs after the color indicate a space on the tag.

F SERIES PROTOTYPE
V5X END
G31 H51 M43 N41 N42 R11
EK2 *** B51 C16 C55 F11
EK2 HX69 TX9 801 M04116
E63 D21 LS23 N0R 100031

M_VONs.jpg

Glad I stoped posting 6 pages ago. I don't know My decoding to save my life, and I was suprised that this went this far without someone speaking up how the codes didn't make sence sooner. There are alot of VERY smart Mopar paople on here. I am not one of them, though I could tell this was fake just from the story line, and how it was unfolding.

I am wondering though, if this isn't some kid with a room-mate, but some other Member that loged on to this site under a different name just to pull some legs. It's interesting to see a couple people speak up after the "room-mate" said it was a hoax, saying that they could tell by the fender tag.

We may never know if this guy is who he is, or if we were all tricked by a different FABO member using a different name.

Phil

Interesting to see that the room mates have different zip codes for different states. Rick is in Idaho, and Jeremy is in Utah. Must be a big house.

sounds like good freinds in on a little joke.

Phil

Interesting to see that the room mates have different zip codes for different states. Rick is in Idaho, and Jeremy is in Utah. Must be a big house.

sounds like good freinds in on a little joke.

Phil
Remember when you signed up? you type in a zip code. I could have typed in a zip code to Alaska or any where els in the US if I wanted. Thats what Rick did. The Zip he gave you is 83402 I belive. That is Idaho Falls. Maybe he used to live there???? Who knows. I assure you. I know about the car and I know what it is and what it is not. I know that there is a build sheet to the car. The car is gold and not yellow like stated. It is a 340 4spd car. and that the owner does not want to sell. Oh. The car is not even in Montana. Theres the big kicker. You know why he has not posted? because I told him it was getting out of hand. But I do think its funny that this is like one of the top ten most looked at threads on here.

Well Im still looking for the fender tag for my buffalo damn it! I need to know if the chrome tips were stock or an add on and also what would the correct color codes be?

buffalo-bison_304psd.jpg

:bootysha::bootysha::bootysha::bootysha:

Stick a damn fork in this thread, it's done!

I think it came equipped from the manufacture with single exaust J.R. :toothy7: At least that's what the :read2: says.

Well Im still looking for the fender tag for my buffalo damn it! I need to know if the chrome tips were stock or an add on and also what would the correct color codes be?

buffalo-bison_304psd.jpg

:bootysha::bootysha::bootysha::bootysha:

Stick a damn fork in this thread, it's done!

I'm pretty good with those models 360. Could you show me a pic of the tips so I can tell you wether or not they were factory insalled?!!!

You've never seen a fender tag with body color and roof color posted on different lines? Is that what you are saying? I'm really unclear.

What is out of alphabetical order here?

F SERIES PROTOTYPE END
H51 M43 N41 N42 RLL V5X
EK2 B51 C16 C55 F11 G31
EK2 HX69 TX9 801 M04116
E63 D21 LS23 N0R 100031

That's what the tag MIGHT have looked like. I didn't rearrange anything other than to put break where they would normally occur. I see one or two things, now, that might be a little strange, but, I'll keep that to myself.

My December 1, 1969, Windsor built, 1970 Swinger 340 has two FY1 paint codes listed on the tag, one for the body, second for the roof.

I will tell you this... 69CoronetRT is one of THE most knowlegdable people when it comes to fender tags, BAR NONE!

Here's an earlish 70 Duster Hammy tag for you... note the two paint codes.
No, I hadn't ever seen one with the paint codes on two different lines. All the ones I have seen are like mine where the second line reads:

X9 X9 D6T T3 122 185386

I guess you see something new every day. From what I have seen and judging by the tag posted here "F Series Prototype" would be at the top on a line by itself, after "END", not before it. If one of the things you see now is the RLL I was assuming that is R11. I have also never seen "HX69". How would that break down?

My point is this...there is nothing from the tag codes listed in the original post that disqualfies this car from being what is described. I have one small question on the codes but what is listed is consistent with what one would expect to find on a car as described. Does that mean the car in question is actually a 70 Dart 383 four speed prototype? I don't know but there is nothing from the tag data that proves it isn't. I for one would love to see a picture of the tag.

Someone with moderate knowledge of tag layout could make up a fake car/tag. It wouldn't be that hard to do. Does the original poster have that ability?

Sorry, Crackedback, I had to tweak the format a little to show the Windsor plant layout. The three Xs after the color indicate a space on the tag.
A great and very informative post. Thanks a lot. Wow, everything I have read, and I mean everything, said only the AARs had an "M" in their VON. Everyone asked the original poster to post pictures and he said he would and then disappeared.

I'm pretty good with those models 360. Could you show me a pic of the tips so I can tell you wether or not they were factory insalled?!!!

This is the only pic I could find of the rear end of the buffalo that Im trying to restore. I need to get this done fast because Galen is going to come look at it...someday.

buffass.jpg

360: Maybe big buffalo power but single exhaust only. Plain to see. The tip has a few wrinkles. Probably due to age. The wrinkles probably come out when on the exhaust stroke.

-
Back