70 dart slant 6 to v8 help!

-

slx70

Reaction score
I have a 1970 dart that came with a slant 6 motor. I am going to drop a 340 in it. I have already installed a 1973 v8 k-member with spool mounts. are there any upgrades that i need to make? such as torsison bars,brakes or other suspension parts? Thanks.

Yep torison bars and I suggest you fully wield your k member

Brakes! Brakes would be good here... you need more stopping power with the 340...Upper control arms from a 73- up A body and the disc brakes, etc. Lots of info on this site about them.

You might be able to slide by with the slant six torsion bars, but you might enjoy the firmer ride with a heavier bar. Depends on what you want to do, drag racing would do better with the smaller bars...allowing weight transfer, and larger bars for max spring rates for road course kind of events. Likely somewhere in between is good for a road/ street ride.

Bigger tie rods and C-body size tie rod adjusters help too.

Radiator? Now would be a good time to slip in a 3 core.

Have fun...be safe...not sure if both are possible at the same time, LOL

I have a 72 Demon /6 that I put a 75 K-frame and installed a warmed up 318. I upgraded the torsion bars, rear springs, put in BBP disc/drum, and F/R sway bars. I plan to install a 8.75 SG rear when finances allow.

FWIW, the 225 w/ A/C used the same TBs as the 318 w/o A/C. The 318 w/ A/C used the same bars as any 340. Rear springs added a leaf between the /6 & V-8s.

IMHO if going from a /6 to a 340, bump the TB size up as well as go to a stiffer leaf spring. There is a slippery slope going on from here. You probably have a 7¼ rear end, but make sure my assumption is correct. If it is, you should consider a rear axle assembly that is stronger. You also are going to want more whoa power to go along with Mo-power under the hood.

Going to a BBP rear and a late model disk brake setup solves this problem and opens up more possibilies for wheels with a bit of style to them. The other way to go is to use the KH disk setup from the 65-72 A-body. You'll need the SBP 8.75 rear to go with these brakes and your 340.

You will need a radiator, and a transmission for the engine swap.
Brakes, suspension, and differential upgrades are great but not mandatory with the engine change.

I know i'm probably wayyyy late on this lil 2 cents, but i've done this swap. I had a 72 valiant with a points ignition /6 and a 73 v8 duster with a/c and electronic ignition. I removed all the front suspension components and k member from the duster and put them on the valiant. Also I removed all the rear end suspension and put it on the valiant. Then I put the engine, radiator, trans, and all of the engine wire harness from the duster on the valiant. I took the power brake booster, master cylinder, the rod hooked to the brake pedal, and the proportioning valve also from the duster and put them on the valiant. It ran like a scalded dog and stopped the cat in the path of that dog.

-
Back