70 Still getting hot, what else to look for?

-
Just a wild guess. Did you have the block boiled out before you re-built? If not, you may have the same issue I had.

Remove the block drains and see if coolant runs out. The bottom of the 318 in the Demon was full of junk which decreased the amount of coolant available to flow through the system.. If you don't get a good stream of coolant out of each drain, IMO you have the same issue.

As mentioned before, check your timing. Not enough initial advance will cause it to run hot. Retard the timing enough, and it will overheat uncontrollably.

Did you do a cylinder leak down test? Remove the plugs, pump compressed air into the cylinders one at a time, remove the rad cap and look for bubbles in the antifreeze. This would indicate a head gasket leak.

What strength antifreeze are you using? a 50/50 mixture is best. If there is too much antifreeze, 70% or more, heat transfer is very poor and it will run hot and overheat.

You can use pure water (best for heat transfer) for short term testing, which will let it run cooler, but the antifreeze is needed for corrosion as well as the freeze protection.

Hope this helps

Are you using a factory electrical temperature gauge or a good mechanical gauge?
Are you confident your gauge is accurate?

Autometer electric gauge, been using the same one on two other engines and it has always seemed accurate.

Seepage- the water stays cooler under pressure.

Yeah the intake does seep around the thermo housing, I have a new Air-gap intake sitting on the shelf, but I wanted to to heads at the same time.

Just a wild guess. Did you have the block boiled out before you re-built? If not, you may have the same issue I had.

Yeah, block was boiled out, it was clean when I put it together.

As mentioned before, check your timing. Not enough initial advance will cause it to run hot. Retard the timing enough, and it will overheat uncontrollably.

Did you do a cylinder leak down test? Remove the plugs, pump compressed air into the cylinders one at a time, remove the rad cap and look for bubbles in the antifreeze. This would indicate a head gasket leak.

What strength antifreeze are you using? a 50/50 mixture is best. If there is too much antifreeze, 70% or more, heat transfer is very poor and it will run hot and overheat.

You can use pure water (best for heat transfer) for short term testing, which will let it run cooler, but the antifreeze is needed for corrosion as well as the freeze protection.

Hope this helps

Haven't done a leak down, I'm running 50/50 Peak antifreeze, I plan to try the timing this weekend, whats a good base to start with? I think I'm running 12 degrees now.

I hate to ask this but can ya give us a pic of the water pump,does it look like a big howitzer gun on the front or have the barrels been machined off from the factory,the one that looks like a howitzer is a standard pump and the other is a high volume pump,although it may sound wrong but the water needs to slow down so the high volume pump may not be the way to go and as was suggested install a 195* thermostat...this will keep the water in the radiator longer to allow it to cool sufficiently.the high volume pump caused me similar problems on my 340 in the duster but now all is good with 195* thermostat,stock type radiator and no schroud whatsoever

Did you try a higher pressure cap? Some times a higher pressure cap works.

I put one of these triple flow desert coolers in 65 barracuda. The 408 would run 220 before i changed the radiator.I tried all of the above first. Now it never goes over 185 even on a 90 degree day in traffic. Its a little pricey but the fit is perfect and you will not have any more heating issues.

http://www.usradiator.com/default.htm

Do you have a chrome thermostat housing. I did and it seeped all the time. I switched to the billet one made by Mancini's and the leak went away..

I hate to ask this but can ya give us a pic of the water pump,does it look like a big howitzer gun on the front or have the barrels been machined off from the factory,the one that looks like a howitzer is a standard pump and the other is a high volume pump,although it may sound wrong but the water needs to slow down so the high volume pump may not be the way to go and as was suggested install a 195* thermostat...this will keep the water in the radiator longer to allow it to cool sufficiently.the high volume pump caused me similar problems on my 340 in the duster but now all is good with 195* thermostat,stock type radiator and no schroud whatsoever

Its a standard pump I got from Oreillies.

Do you have a chrome thermostat housing. I did and it seeped all the time. I switched to the billet one made by Mancini's and the leak went away..

Yeah, chrome housing, plus I know the intake is warped at the housing also.

I have a pretty mild setup that still seems to be getting hot. Stockish 360, probably about 10:1 compression, mild cam (Comp XE 268 IIRC), J heads with stock valves and an old Edelbrock single plane. I have a home made shroud that covers the fan blades and will suck a shop towel up against the grill, a Summit 2 row aluminum rad, a flex-a-lite 18" fan and thermo clutch. Everything has about 2-300 miles on it. Yesterday with an ambient of about 80 degrees the car almost hit 210 (idling in front of my shop), which is way too hot considering the 180 stat I have in it. The intake seeps a little bit of coolant around the stat housing do to being warped, its not bad, but you can see the staining on the intake. I was wondering also if it would be a good idea to switch to a recirculating system over the puke can setup I have now, as the top few rows of the rad are never covered in coolant. I was afraid I had popped a head on my trip to the track cause the car hit about 240 in traffic, but I checked the oil and it looks brand new, no chocolate milk. Any ideas?

Just one thought on your overheating. First is it overheating in traffic or when you are driving down the road? I have a 69 Swinger 340 and no matter WHAT I tried I just couldn't get it to run cool in traffic. After trying every cooling trick in the book I stumbled on the cause. If you have a fiberglass hood like mine and it does not have a rubber seal (like the factory hoods) on the underside of the hood that mates with the rad support, hot under hood air will come out from under the hood and will be sucked back through the rad and will be heated up more and then back out and back through the rad and eventually the car will overheat. I temporarily used foam pipe insulation held onto the rad support with zip ties. What a drastic improvement. Give it a try it's a cheap test. Good Luck
user_online.gif

-
Back