Still not getting power steering assist

-
The weather is horrible. ...might wait for my next day off (Friday) so I can do this early in the morning. ....
5 weeks of 100+ degrees is getting me down!

Jeff

What you need, I think, is some "intelligent guessing." "What all" could the fitting in the pump be off from? Can we limit it to Chrysler/ Dodge/ Plymouth/ and maybe Jeep? If so, THEN you need an intelligent parts guy who can still find a PAPER catalog with the numerical/ illustrated/ pictorial guides. There are only so many kinds of fittings.........Inverted flare, which is same as used on your brake lines, transmission coolers "some years", etc.........and a couple or 4 different "o" ringed fittings used over the years. I hope you have not created a situation where the pump fitting is the newer Magnum/ metric, whatever..............

"Everco" comes to mind..........they used to sell hoses in three pieces........a tube adapter at each end which connected to a central hose of some length

The fitting you pictured appears to be inverted flare, which in my old brain, would be easier to find. Also, if you can find a hose with a good end which fits the pump, you can cut off the tube and either braze it to something like a JIC/AN hydraulic fitting, and go from there to a hose, or use a clamp on compression fitting made for the purpose. "The old numbers" for the weatherhead hose ends are 06U which is no6 hose "U" type (two braid) and 755 for 5/16 tube and 756 for 3/8 tube

06U-756:

ERM%20Ermetto%202-228x228.jpg

What you need, I think, is some "intelligent guessing." "What all" could the fitting in the pump be off from? Can we limit it to Chrysler/ Dodge/ Plymouth/ and maybe Jeep? If so, THEN you need an intelligent parts guy who can still find a PAPER catalog with the numerical/ illustrated/ pictorial guides. There are only so many kinds of fittings.........Inverted flare, which is same as used on your brake lines, transmission coolers "some years", etc.........and a couple or 4 different "o" ringed fittings used over the years. I hope you have not created a situation where the pump fitting is the newer Magnum/ metric, whatever..............

"Everco" comes to mind..........they used to sell hoses in three pieces........a tube adapter at each end which connected to a central hose of some length

The fitting you pictured appears to be inverted flare, which in my old brain, would be easier to find. Also, if you can find a hose with a good end which fits the pump, you can cut off the tube and either braze it to something like a JIC/AN hydraulic fitting, and go from there to a hose, or use a clamp on compression fitting made for the purpose. "The old numbers" for the weatherhead hose ends are 06U which is no6 hose "U" type (two braid) and 755 for 5/16 tube and 756 for 3/8 tube

06U-756:

View attachment 1715207920
I don't "think" it's a metric Magnum type because it is "supposed" to be for a 75 - 76 Mopar.....I'm pretty sure the hose place over by my work "should" be able to make something up for me.....

There used to be a day when a guy could go to an auto parts store and get a dang power steering hose....LOL....

I don't care how tired I am after work or how hot it is in my garage - I'm gonna pull that hose off so I can take care of this tomorrow.....I want to move on to my other projects!

Jeff

Ok...finally got the parts over to The Hose Man. ...I'll pick them up in 3 or 4 hours and hopefully fix this issue once and for all. ..!

Jeff

Jesus H. Christ.....their braze came apart in my hand trying to install....
Gotta take it back to them on Monday...

PITA.....

Jeff

their braze came apart in my hand trying to install....

PITA.....

Jeff

Lol, so I guess you did get hosed on it
Sorry that's not funny...well, maybe a little

Jesus H. Christ.....their braze came apart in my hand trying to install....

PITA.....

Jeff

THAT is pretty disturbing. You have a torch? You ought to learn to do brazing and silver brazing (sometimes wrongly called silver solder)

I guess anyone can screw up...they've always done good work for me in the past. ..
I'll let them do right by me on Monday. ....

Jeff

I guess anyone can screw up...they've always done good work for me in the past. ..
I'll let them do right by me on Monday. ....

Jeff

Not sure I'm so charitable. This is not some guy you paid a Saturday afternoon beer to try and fix som'thun. These are people in the business and if nothing else, cost you time and mileage to get there and back. you might have a few words with the manager on the concept of "it really needs to work."

**** man, if I'd replaced a compressor in an AC unit years ago, and the thing blew off a fitting or two, I'd been looking for other work!!

Update

All better now! Works perfectly and no more leaks!

Note...even though the ports appear "nearly" identical, they do not interchange! !!

Got my line repaired, hooked everything back up and it worked perfect within 3 seconds. ..literally.

Thank everyone for all the help!

Jeff

The hose man or similiar shop I went to had a wall of fittings and another wall of reels of tube and line. You literally picked your 2 ends and the line length and the guy would crimp you one up while you watched. They also had screw on fittings that you could assemble yourself. I had them make me 2 remote oil filter lines with real 45's so I could get them out of my fenderwell headers way. Glad you got it working. If a hydraulic fitting fails on a backhoe, it could really be bad news.

-
Back