71 Dart Slant Six w 904 into 64 Valiant

-

68Dartdude

Reaction score
Hey Slant fans. Looking to buy a /6 out of a 71 Dart with or w/o 904 trans and put into my 64 Valiant Wagon. Presently have stock /6 in it with stock 904 trans. Is this potentially major surgery or just an outpatient thing ?

Thanks in advance to all Mopar MD's...…

Will include pics if that helps....

Use the oil pan and pickup tube from the 64 also the 64 mounts and accessories get the bushing for the back of the crank use the later flex plate use the 64 transmission because using the later transmission opens up a whole nuther can of worms. Have I missed anything guys ?

Brian

I would buy the 6 and the 904 that comes with it. Get the slip yoke driveshaft if you can.

I would buy the 6 and the 904 that comes with it. Get the slip yoke driveshaft if you can.
Even if you use the 71 engine and trans with the 71 driveshaft, there is still the shifter situation. 64 has a PB cable shifter, the 71 trans has linkage type shifter, so will need an aftermarket shifter.

Will also need to use the 1964 carb, or convert to cable throttle linkage

Even if you use the 71 engine and trans with the 71 driveshaft, there is still the shifter situation. 64 has a PB cable shifter, the 71 trans has linkage type shifter, so will need an aftermarket shifter.

Will also need to use the 1964 carb, or convert to cable throttle linkage
Exactly. Who might know how compatable the newer column and linkage would be. Ya, it might be better to just get the engine. What about the newer crankshaft and the older converter snout? That's an issue on the v8's.

Exactly. Who might know how compatable the newer column and linkage would be. Ya, it might be better to just get the engine. What about the newer crankshaft and the older converter snout? That's an issue on the v8's.
I sell a bushing that fits in the end of the crank (fits the V-8's also) Use the 71 flexplate. Easy/peasy

Adapter bushing is for 1968 and newer small block engine to 1967 and older 904 trans. The later flexplate is used. The early torque converter is used.
Ok so it sounds like the engine w/o the trans makes the most sense. Yes I have PB with cables and wish to keep the original setup. Add bushing and later model flexplate. If the deal goes through, I'll reach out to you CharlieS for the bushing, then search for a flexplate.

Is the oil pan and pickup tube a fitment thing Bscchief?

The 67 up oil pans hit the "K" mebmer in the 66 and older "A" bodies. The pickup tube should match the oil pan.
If the flexplate doesn't come with the engine, they can be purchased at any auto parts supplier. It might have to be ordered, but they are available, and not expensive.

-
Back