71 dart

-
Corvette front suspension,ford rearend..in a Mopar:thumbdow::thumbdow:

What kind of ground clearance are you looking at and what's gonna be the lowest hanging point?? (exhaust, frame rails, suspension components, oil pan?)

The frame will be the lowest point it will be 5" off the ground this is also the rocker height. The exhaust will run through the frame. The engine is about 2" higher than the bottom of the frame I need to clear the steering rack. I tried to move the engine back further and lower it but I cannot get the steering past the oil pump. I have the 10lbs of **** in a 5lbs bag issue.

Great work especially for a first time project.

Dude, you ain't scared to break out the sawzall and the torches are ya now?

I especially like the way you decided to chop the rack and pinion steering to make it fit.
Problems such as that would make most guys want to give up on their project altogether, but not you.

Very impressive skills you have there.

Just curious...do you do fabrication type work for a living?

I liked your answer for the guy that asked about GM parts.

After all the crap that is going on with foreign competition it seems "American" is a dying breed so anything American bolted on these cars is a good thing regardless of brand name, and you sometimes gotta put parts on the car that are a little cheaper on the wallett especially when you are truly "building" a car like you are as opposed to restoring, or restifying one like most guys are.

I am a mechainic at a Saturn dealer and there isnt any fabrication happening at work just parts replacing. I have had help the guys at pro-touring.com are always willing to answer any questions. I have done lots of research online on suspension setup, chassis building and anything else I cannot figure out. The guys that claim there parts are all mopar are just kidding themselves.

Corvette front suspension,ford rearend..in a Mopar:thumbdow::thumbdow:

You missed some. I am also using a honda altenator, pedal assembly from a ranger, the steering rack is for a mustang, rear sway bar from a saturn and I am sure this list will grow until I am done. At what point is it my car and not the manufacturers.:supz:

The frame will be the lowest point it will be 5" off the ground this is also the rocker height. The exhaust will run through the frame. The engine is about 2" higher than the bottom of the frame I need to clear the steering rack. I tried to move the engine back further and lower it but I cannot get the steering past the oil pump. I have the 10lbs of **** in a 5lbs bag issue.

I thought the motor looked high.

That's killing you. The bottom of a stock pan should be level with the bottom of the frame. Are you saying it's 2" above the bottom of the frame?

Can you run an external pump or something remote?

I thought the motor looked high.

That's killing you. The bottom of a stock pan should be level with the bottom of the frame. Are you saying it's 2" above the bottom of the frame?

Can you run an external pump or something remote?

I would love to but I cannot find anything that will work how I need. I would love to run a dry sump but the cannot spend the money right now. I am open to any suggestions. If something can be done I can move the motor back 4" and down 1.5".

You missed some. I am also using a honda altenator, pedal assembly from a ranger, the steering rack is for a mustang, rear sway bar from a saturn and I am sure this list will grow until I am done. At what point is it my car and not a the manufacturers.:supz:

I love this response! I think the more different your parts, the more creative you are being with the car To make that many different parts work together is awesome. Great work!

Well I decided that the engine should be lower and need to be moved back for that to happen. I think I have created much more work but I should be happier in the end.
28mebrt.jpg

znnd3b.jpg

I will need to get creative with the shifter but should be able to make it work.
rwqmfk.jpg

There is barely enough room for a firewall between the engine and dash.
w72hw.jpg

you know with that engine set back so far all that room up in the engine bay does make space for a turbo set up.........
Looks great man, but you shure do have some work cut out, re: the shifter theres a guy on lat g who made his own shift relocator, I've attached pics for ya. hope this helps.

IM001106_Small_.jpg

IM001113_Small_.jpg

IM001114_Small_.jpg

I'm seeing a remote oil filter mount in your near future!! Gonna be interesting steering linkage..

Good stuff.....Are you building headers for it? Curious why you decided on a BB instead of an SB or newer hemi (strictly for size/weight)??

The steering has more room than the pics show but I will need the remote filter. I will be building headers for it I dont really have a choice. Why I am using the big block is a great story I will start from the begining. This whole project started as pulling the engine and trans cleaning it up, installing subframe connectors, mini tubs, and rebuilding the stock suspension. I spent many hours cleaning and sanblasting and started painting everything. Then I got the bigblock for free from a friend of mine and decide to use it. Next someone gave me the t56. Then I started the frame connectors and found the floor and rear frame rails need repairs so complete rear rails were made. Somewhere in the middle of that I removed the front k-frame and found that the front rails where bad. Then the car sat for a while because of frustration and lack of funding. The car was not worth a restoration so I decided to just use what I have and build the car. My parts choice may not be exactly what I want but what I have. At this point I have just under 10K in everything including buying the car, air compessor,welders, and plasma torch. So it has turned more into what I can do with what I have versus what is avaliable or best suits my needs. I got real long winded there and I am sure I left stuff out but here I am building a car in my basement with parts that were never made to be together.
Nate

Nate, its a great story, and one alot of us follow, not everyone has deep pockets and at the end of the day im sure your car will be noticed more than one of the many restored to factory cars out there. Its a great build and its good to follow the progress, keep it up

That's some crazy sh*t you got going on there, vary cool, also a bit over my head.
With the engine/trans back so far wont that effect the handling dynamics, with the center of gravity moved so far back. Just wondering, totally respect the no holds barred approach. Cant believe I've missed this post, I will make sure to watch for it now. Keep up the good work!!

that nuts man, its cool to see people workin with what the got rather than goin out and buying everything from a catalog like you see in so many tv shows. i can sure appreciate time in fabrication over a big pocket book

That's some crazy sh*t you got going on there, vary cool, also a bit over my head.
With the engine/trans back so far wont that effect the handling dynamics, with the center of gravity moved so far back. Just wondering, totally respect the no holds barred approach. Cant believe I've missed this post, I will make sure to watch for it now. Keep up the good work!!

Centering all that wieght will only help things once its all dialed in. Definitely would be fun to run on a road race track!

Like 4mulasvaliant stated it should help the handling once it is setup. The car is waiting because of some home remodeling but I should be back at it by the end of the month.

you know with that engine set back so far all that room up in the engine bay does make space for a turbo set up.........

I was thinking that also. Pro touring turbo big block Dart... sounds like a wet dream I've had. :toothy10:

Whoa black Betty bam-a-lam, that ride is going to be bad! I like how you`ve moved the engine half way inside the cockpit. As the guys mentioned that does leave a lot of room for force feeding the child.....whoa, damn things gone wild! Whoa black Betty bam-a-lam! :rock:

-
Back