71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
No...we did not have a good time...LOL........Hot and lousy air..

Dart blew a head gasket....as checking valves..ignition..fuel.....I had a compression gauge with us...number 2 cylinder made a whooping 30 psi after 3 rotation on the starter...but there was no water in the oil at that point...so we ran it on Saturday where it ran best of 10.61 on 7 cylinders.... a full 3 tenths slower then last time we were there...Sunday morning..the dipstick showed water...parked it...and fixed one of the tow vehicle so we could all get home..one of tow vehicles had started running like crap just outside Bakersfield on the way there.

Out west we have some pretty good grades to climb...Mountain Pass...Baker grade is a killer in the heat..and the Tehachapi mountains..

Tired as I am working night shift...got off work Friday morning 4 am and drove to Bakersfield ..320 miles...over some beautiful roads only Kalifornia can provide...Hwy 58...on way home one of the tail lights rattled off the trailer on that highway...

did not get to sleep until 10 pm Saturday evening..fell asleep in grandstands with nitro cars running......at that time I realized I had been wearing the same underwear for a day and a half.....

1st pass Fuster ran a new best by .01...10.641 @ 124.17...it ran great all day Friday in the heat with several 10.66s and 10.65s....by Sunday it had slowed down to a 11.08 @122....60 ft times went from 1.418 to a turd of 1.60 on the last run....

We seem to have a problem....went it ran fast. you could hear the engine banging on the two step....went it slowed down...there was no banging..launched like a turd...

Outside of that ....I had a wonderful time...LOL

Did t A body run his ride as well? Thought I read somewhere .....

Checked engine compression on Fuster...everything is at 160.....Changed back to msd 6al from the msd 7al3...now...thinking about the problem with the two step..the rotary rpm module for the launch is the common denominator ;;;going to use a single chip instead...trying to find where I put all the 3000 rpm chips...lol....Or since only one car is running going to rotary switch from dart or demon....always great to have spare lying around..

Well..We stunk up the place at the Bracket Finals....lol
got out there Thursday morning after a whopping 3 hrs of sleep for the tnt...due to school daughter did not get there till after noon...I fired up the car...drove it to the top end warmed up everything, stopped put it in the 1st gear...engaged Transbrake, floored it...2 step working great at 3200 rpm...with 3200 chip....checked it 3 times...worked ...

Daughter does burn out...car sounds great...stages...up on 2 step...releases the button and the car walks off the starting ......putts down the track..she stop just pass the finish line...gets towed back to pits...we suspect trans or converter...sound like it was slipping going down the track....

pull dipstick...full of fluid...smell fluid..smell ok...we go to put it on the trailer..she fires it up and it backs up and goes forward with no problem...i say wait a minute....let it cool off since we have a couple of hours between passes....check a few things...she drives it to the top end...trans works fine..

so..back in line again....burn out great...engages brake ..on 2 step....walks off the starting line.....this time she tells me...with her foot to the floor ..the engine will not go above 3200 rpm....one thing i noticed...during burn out there is a 6000 rpm chip and usually she bangs the 6000 chip during the burnout...and it was not doing it...

We no longer using the rotary rpm module for the starting line just a 3200 chip in 3 step module....same 3 step module as in bakersfield....well...no more runs available for TNT,,,as they go into gamblers race...which we were going to enter......but not with a 16.50 et slip....lol

Decision time for tomorrow...and you wil only get two passes on Friday....

So after a discussion we decide to pull the Demon out of the raffers ....has not run since June but has new tires that need to be rebalanced as the car got bouncing going down the track....so we haul the Fuster home...leave it on the trailer....roller Demon out...wash and clean car...i stole the belts out of it for tonya's dart for bakersfield....I steal them back..lol

jack up rear take tires off...take them to work with me as there is a tire shop near out project that is open all night...i removed the old weight...but marked were the were to see where the new weights go....new weights in different place...so hope is there.

Get off work at 5 30am...take tires over to shop and put them on the Demon...fire the car load it on trailer...go brush teeth and wash my face...NO Sleep...
Christin take car up to end...warms it up...everything seems great...

ok...burn out...stage ...launches....it running down the track...watching score board...12.60 @ 85 mph....now what...she complaint that the car is bouncing in the rear....and got out of it....same thing as before the last time I drove it.....now what....

Jack car up...we all climb under car ...can not see anything wrong...nothing broke......
Next decision...LOL...we had already withdrawn the fuster..and teched the Demon.....Ok...take tires off Fuster and put them on Demon...Chinese fire drill starts..

While i am tighten the lugs on the Demon with Fuster tires...the rear end is moving up and down....WTF....i go over to the Fuster...and tighten a lug...housing is not moving...Shocks on the Demon are Shot......

Next decision......tires go back on Fuster....going to change out 3 step from Demon...

Forgot to add that i went back to shop and picked up Fuster and trailer again....good thing it is only 6 miles from track...

Ok...Fuster is reading to go with new ignition parts....this would have been simpler but we did not know Demon had bad shock in rear...

Call to lanes....She goes to fire up Fuster....in neutral...wont crank...put it in gear it fires....****?....we never touched the linkage in months...climb under car...everything is tight.....ok go to check linkage...shifter neutral trans neutral...drop swivel in......car starts in nuetral and move like it is in gear....no reverse......we adjusted the linkage over and over....put trans in 1st...shifter in 1st...same ****...no reverse...moves in neutral like it is in gear....transbrake works...lol...no reverse...

dont know...if a valve in valvebody is not working or what....the valve body was bought back in 1993 from Tranzact....

Loaded everything up...dropped motorhome/trailers/ cars at shop...(shop is a 30 x 30 garage) on one acre lot where my youngest lives..with plenty of parking ...lol
Showered at home..laid on sofa around 6 pm...woked up 8 am the next morning...dead.

Cars are still on trailers..LOL...

Demon is an easy fix....just buy new shocks...LOL

Need to take trans pan off and see what is going on...plus trouble shooting on the wiring and 3 step box...actually the suspected one is out of car...

Dam...Called Tranzact of Indy ...just got off phone...told him that I bought this valve body 23 yrs ago...He said He thought the warranty had expired....LOL

Anyway...I explained what the valve body was doing he agreed that the valve body is the likely cause....Ordered a new billet one and for being a great customer...he knocked a few bucks off...
And said ship him the old one this winter and he would take a look at it.,....

Ok...the Tranzact Transbrake arrived today...I think I got a day or two later this week to slip it in and hope that fixes it....

Nhra nationals are in town this week...maybe not...oldest daughter works at the track for this event ...I get a free ticket and a hat...

Ok...the Tranzact Transbrake arrived today...I think I got a day or two later this week to slip it in and hope that fixes it....

Nhra nationals are in town this week...maybe not...oldest daughter works at the track for this event ...I get a free ticket and a hat...
The small perks,help....Best of luck ....

new and old...new billet and old sand cast...

20161026_170429_resized.jpg

20161026_170444_resized.jpg

20161026_170408_resized.jpg

new valve body in car...adjusted front band...get some tranny fluid tomorrow...and test this thing.....

WHAT a PIA with CRS shield on it.....

-
Back