71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
Nawh..was not sick with the flu...inhaling fumes from welder and grinder dust flying all over the place.....plus it was cold that night...anyway..the weather is warm again..should hit 60 today..

Morning report...LOL

got the axles in the car this morning...sure glad i had some new studs for the housing ends..those were junk...rear brakes and drums are on.

going to get shocks mounted today also...need to get slicks and wheels down from the rafters to see how they fit.. got a set of MT 9 x 29.5 and a set of Hoosier 10 x 29....need to check on rim size and back spacing...

Got a doctor Diff master cylinder to put on today...and have new brake line hoses for front and rear coming tomorrow..so should have brakes all wrapped up to...

will be back with afternoon update with pictures...

Had to do a redo on the rear...after getting drums on..I stood behind the car...LOL..noticed that the backing plates were on the wrong side...parking brake hole point backwards...

so this morning I R&R the drums..axles..and backing plates...all is well now..nothing like doing **** twice...

well..since this is a race car...or pretending to be...out came the wiper motor..and wipers....and while I was under the dash..I pulled the wiring harness and out came the heater box.....now there is so much room under the dash..

also removed steering column ..but that is going back in after it get cleaned and repainted...need to mount new fuse box and make a few plates to cover holes in firewall.

and will someone shoot the fricking CAT in the picture above..as I am typing the GD thing is annoying..I can handle the boobs...

Not going to get much of anything done this week, might be some time later this week.

There is a FREE test N tune at the strip this weekend...only real chance to run the cars until MATS...so I need to get a few things done before sunday...got oil changed on Dart and Demon, need to get motorhome running...has carb problem with OEM holley 2 barrel..acceleration pump keeps drying out...got a new pump rubber to put in it..

pluss got to fix a wire in the trailer plug on trailer...all the small things in life.

Well..this is not related to the 71 Duster but...it about racing...

Worked on 71 Dart today, I put Strange Disc brakes on the car a few weeks ago..after putting the wheels back on i realized that the wheel studs in the kit were not long enough...so i looked at the parts number included in the kit and it specs out a 2.5 inch stud...so i had to order new 3 inch studs from Strange so things would be legal...so i put new wheel studs in the hubs today...along with working on front end alignment...got the camber set at zero...and caster is a 6 degrees...now i need to set the toe in tomorrow,...

Weather forecast calls for rain thru the weekend....Free race and it suppose to rain...Well..just have to get cars ready and hope the sun shines...

double checked the caster and camber again today...got 0 camber...and 6 degree of caster in it...

checked the toe in ..did it two different ways...got it set...tighten everything down....hopefully the weather will be good on sunday...

going to tell the kid...take it easy on first pass...

Work on the 71 Duster will start again on Monday.....

hows the forecast looking Tony? Still crappy?

10 % chance of rain on sunday..in vegas that means flash floods...

projected DA is going to be around 2700 ft...

Well..pulled valve cover off 71 Dart...checked and adjusted rockers...went to fire engine...it fired...but died...cold..then click..click...dead batteries....

I had the battery charger on them the other night, they been in car since 2006,,,get old.

but after cleaning battery post....engine fired right up...let it run and come up to temperature...One ready to go....doing same on Demon on Saturday.

Took old motorhome to get smogged today...had to adjust carb to get it to pass...idle mixture too lean...at least the guy worked with me to get it to pass...tipped him 10 bucks...LOL....had just replaced accelerator pump on the old oem 2 barrel holley.....next year..i will tune it up before i go smog it...

Back to work on the 71 Duster...got my patches done...going to do some painting on the floor tomorrow depending on the weather...and moving into the trunk and need to cut sheet metal to replace spare tire well...Going to make battery boxes with angle iron and use 1 x 1 square tubing for holding the fuel cell...

Did you race this past weekend Tony, or did the weather go to ****?

yes...race...there is another thread in the race section...

Sunday TnT Vegas

Well..the Beat goes on...

Worked on trunk area today...got new trunk floor in..no spare tire well...used 18 gauge steel for trunk. Cut the trunk for the sump on the fuel cell. Tomorrow hope to get the 1 x 1 square tubing welded up to support the fuel cell and batteries.....

And painted the trunk floor to match the engine bay...once you go black ...you dont go back...

Painted the interior floor this morning with POR 15...

Got maybe two days this week left to work on car...then done for two weeks.

got pictures...but some how tonight..computer does not see my flash card....oh well..

Got the majority of the fuel cell and battery support done today, was welding it together...guess what ...ran out of wire...figure it was a good time to stop for the day. Took some pictures ...gotta get camera out of car...

Tomorrow going to finish construction the above.

And then draw up fuel system on paper...see what fitting i will need...I have a bunch of AN fitting....so I can fuel line ordered...

I have a 50 dollar coupon from Summit...but you gotta spend 250 to use it...It expires on Saturday...

Well..my coupon got thrown away..Gee...I wonder how that happen...

Anyway, finish my fuel cell/ battery support today,,,,Had a list of items to order for the fuel system...but that is going to wait now until after vacation...

going to clean up the garage tomorrow...and then I am done for two weeks....See ya...

hello from Maui...Got here Saturday afternoon...Weather is Beautiful...View is Beautiul.

Live is Beautiful...LOL

what a bumping ride....riding the edge of the Jet stream at 35,000 feet...almost a E ticket ride at DisneyLand..

Well..kind of getting afternoon showers each day....stays around 70s but rains...not bad..after being in the desert for the last 37 yrs...nice to get rain on...

Picture from balcony...

Attachments

• IMG_0688a.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 874
  • IMG_0690a.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 887
In Hawaii you could be laying in the sun on the beach and feel rain falling on you, open your eyes and see no clouds. Rain is just about a daily thing in certain areas, just give it a few minutes and it will pass. Have fun on your stay there! Oh, they also have a track there and they do have cruises often.

Enjoy your holiday Tony.Now we know you have your camera with you...we wanna see grass skirts or bikini,s(maybe no bikini,s LOL):D

Well...back in the USA...oh..Hawaii is part of USA...

Probably not going to get anything done on Tuesday...got some running around in the morning hours....have to turn in work truck and other stuff..

the plan this week is to get fuel cell and battery mounts done...get fuel lines and fitting ordered...wont get them until end of week ..

next will be getting bucket seats mounted and then shifter located....and start wiring...
going to need to sit down and draw up a new schedule...see where i am going to be in a couple of weeks..and figure out went the engine/trans will go in...

-
Back