71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
Well..working on that 360 .020 from above...have 6 KB107 pistons left over from a engine that had a rod break...6 survive unscratched only 5 trips down the track on them...so I ordered two kb107s ....and i weight the new pistons...****...they are about 12 grams heavier then the other 6.....

going to see if I can do some miss and matching with the pins...

nothing is a budget deal anymore...

Grind a little on the weight pads. I think those pistons have them.

yeah...was doing that...but still need a few more grams.....

Dam this was a long read. Thanks for sharing the link. Hopefully I will have my Duster done this year, problem is the State always wants me work. I want to take it to the March Meet in Bakersfield but I'm running out of time.
I will be running B/Gas the first couple years then step up to A/Gas with the 596 Predator.

Dam this was a long read. Thanks for sharing the link. Hopefully I will have my Duster done this year, problem is the State always wants me work. I want to take it to the March Meet in Bakersfield but I'm running out of time.
I will be running B/Gas the first couple years then step up to A/Gas with the 596 Predator.

Long read....hell...I had to do all the work...LOL

Yes you did LOL!
I guess I need some practice on downloading photos.
I've already went through all your aches and pains so I feel for you.
My nieghbor thinks you just throw them together and go haul ***. Ya right!
I will get him going in right direction then cut him loose. YeeHa!

Picked up a 72 360 block tonight with fresh .020 bore ..brass freeze plugs..cam bears....10/10 crank ..plus rods and pistons which I will not use...for a great price of 200 bucks...

going to be a candidate for spare motor...

well...got the crank..and kb107 and set of budget h beam rods down to the machine shop this afternoon...

rods are 630 grams vs 745 grams stock...piston 510 grams vs the 584 grams..

getting it all internally balanced...the owner smiled went i said i wanted it internally balanced cause he just got an order of mallory metal in....

Get it all back next week.....which give me a few days to assemble the heads for the engine...stock eddies heads with hughes 230/237 hydraulic...going in the 73 340 Duster............since it is a classic auto...No SMOG

well...got the crank..and kb107 and set of budget h beam rods down to the machine shop this afternoon...

rods are 630 grams vs 745 grams stock...piston 510 grams vs the 584 grams..

getting it all internally balanced...the owner smiled went i said i wanted it internally balanced cause he just got an order of mallory metal in....

Get it all back next week.....which give me a few days to assemble the heads for the engine...stock eddies heads with hughes 230/237 hydraulic...going in the 73 340 Duster............since it is a classic auto...No SMOG

Those the falcon or speed master H beams? Will the 73 be your grocery getter?

I have had the 73 340 Duster for 10 yrs now..It used to have a eddy headed hughes cam 360 in it..but would not pass smog...now no smog required..plus a TA 10 inch converter for the 727.

the original engine and trans are sitting in storage shed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171614948096?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Used these rods....

Those look just like the Falcon's in the pic. I have them in the scamp now. On mine the piston pin bush had to be honed so the pins would fit. I called them up and they gave me an $80.00 Refund for the machine work to get the pins to fit. I paid at the time $300.00 for them. I just looked and for same rods they have almost doubled..... Funny cause they all use the same casting it seems. Machine work is only difference.

Sweet on the no smog.... Smog on these old cars would suck.

Scats are usually right around 585....i gotta go over to the shop later tonight ...I will double check to see what they....got a set or two still in the boxes..

I emailed them to see about replacing two rods,,..and they wanted the weights on the box...**** those have been in use for years and the box has been recycled numerous times already...

got the eddy heads assembled this morning...this work **** got me waking up at 5 am on the weekend too...dam..

heads got new seals and eddy springs....

should have the rotating assembly back early next week...

forgive me for losing my score card..... is this engine for the green Duster? the fleet ready to go? I was hoping to make the first test and tune, but we have "family" visiting Vegas that weekend.

No......I had a 10 to 1 eddy head 360 in my 73 340 Duster...but would not pass smog....so I removed it in favor of a no compression stock cam stock head 360....now with the classic plates...NO smog...so I am going back to the 10 to 1 eddy head engine again....lol

the friend of a friend of a friend who was smogging alot of cars that would not pass...ended up in jail....LOL

The fleet just needs some minor servicing....oil change...tighten up rocker shafts....re jet from bakersfield race...charge batteries....some air in the tires....brush off the dust...

really disappointed you lost your score card....

I'll blame you... you need to add it to your signature! :)

You've used the Summit trans aluminum pan.... what gasket did you use? There was one on our ride that was siliconed beyond belief. Freind back in the old country did it and said that my dad complained of a drip after it sat a few days... that solved it, but I was curious what you used on yours? I went to back to a steel pan that was a bit deeper.

I used the factory mopar gasket...rubber/wire reusable gasket.

727 is 2464324ac

904 is 4295875ac

no RTV required

Go figure we get the "leaker"..... Might run it by the machine shop and see if it can be trued up.

-
Back