71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
got tires back on...everything tighten up in the back in...even clean the rear cover on the Dana...nice and shinny now...

electric water pump conversion all down....gotta put water in it.....

wanted to get done before it got hot outside.

So far in my stupid ways I'll most likely see you Saturday night..... since it's supposed to only be 111 that day :)

yes...looked at 10 day forecast...110 or so next saturday....but it is a shorter tow home then Bakersfield.

EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM PDT THIS EVENING

1 st time trail is at 8 pm...LOL.....

young daughter has elected to stay home tonight....Oldest wants to go racing...So 1 of 4 cars is making it to the track tonight....

She called and said that maybe we ought to stay home...I said...Tonya dear your car has been washed and cleaned is still in front of the out waiting for you to pick up the trailer so we can load it....
Loading car at 6 pm...LOL

Right now at 4 pm...it is 109 in the shade.....

What a hot evening....with the breeze blowing it felt like you had a hair dryer blowing on you all night...

With a DA of 5300 feet....Dart ran a best of 10.73 @ 123.xx......

She dial 10.73 in 1st round ran 10.76 @ 121.......1000 ft time looked like it would have run a 10.75

Round 2...dial 10.74...runs 10.746....but other car has .03 better like and sneaks by for the win....

Well ...track is shut down until middle of September ....10 weeks off..

well...now for some mid season updates and maintenance......

Dart to get valve springs....

Demon gets a new steering box....no more exciting top end runs..

Duster ...pulling motor to replace milodon oil pan with moroso pan that does not hit the headers.....new coated hooker 5204 header goes on....craiglist find....
Old MP 590 comes out and new Hughes 260/264 camshaft goes it

I think your "5300" is a bit generous... not sure I saw anything below 5400 all night. Saw you had Larry Pintenger 2nd round.... tough customer. I got home at 3:30 am. 22.5 hour day was enough for me!

Yeah..neither had great lights...his was just better.....the 5300 was off airdensity online....left my TAG unit in the motorhome at home..lol

Heat, I can't take it.
It's 64 degrees here right now, had to run the heater in the garage today when I was painting.
But the humidity here is brutal.

grabbed the book... this is what I had: 8:00=5819, 8:53=5599, 9:50=5513, 10:06=5469, 10:35=5422, 10:58=5376, 11:40=5298, 12:13=5224. Baro from 8:53 to 12:13 remained 27.69 we only dropped 6 degrees from 8:00 to 12:13 so although the intensity of the sun was gone, the temp held pretty good. I'm sure those readings are somewhat "off" from a weather standpoint due to being recorded in a sea of asphalt, but that's where we race so it holds true for the intent

Got the 73 Duster ignition boxes swapped out...

got the old steering box out of the Demon this morning...get the NEW one bolted in tomorrow after work.....

found my valve spring compressor to change out springs on the heads...and got the spring height mike ready....just waiting for some shims the show up on wednesday via Jegs...

then I gotta play musical cars,,71 duster is up in air on 4 post hoist...it needs to go over other bay with two post once Demon is done...

the beat and heat goes on...

Burst of energy....

Saturday morning got Brand new steering box on Demon...need to do some minor work on steering column and get it bolted back in...

Have not see a box as tight as this one since I was 16........

Was attempting to change out springs Saturday morning but could not find the valve seals I know I had...I need some kind of inventory control...dam....finally late in the afternoon took a second look...and just did not open the right box in the morning..

Changed out hughes 1111 valve springs on 71 Dart with hughes cnc heads...had to get that shim they use off the heads which required the seal to come off...so i replaced all the seals too...check the valve height and put some new shims to get to the 1.80 spring height as the Pac springs want.

Got 15 of them done last night...quit on cylinder 8 exhaust valve...spring compressor was hitting coil on firewall...got that last one done this morning after getting the coil out of the way.....pushrods and rockers back on ...just need to adjust valves ...and fire engine..

Attachments

• IMG_1568.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_1567.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 276
Get this one finished this afternoon...and then tackle the 71 Duster...getting new cam and oil pan...actually pulling the engine out.....then i remember the CRS shield...pulling the engine and trans out...LOL..

probably going to try another converter with couple hundred more rpm stall...

got steering column back in demon today.. and bolted down...all is good now..

adjust valves on 71 Dart.....all is good....

Note to self...hook up coil wire to coil before you crank and crank the engine...works better that way...

played musical cars this morning..73 duster up on 4 post...demon now under it....71 Duster over in bay with 2 post lift....can now start process of removing engine...cam ..oil pan change ..converter ...coated headers..and maybe one more thing...

Got to finish 71 Dart...right front brake...needed minor repair..missing calliper bolt....

Got the 360 out of the duster on to the engine stand on thursday afternoon......

how many engine stands are too many...lol

saturday morning going to get the front of engine off...and intake...

should have it all back together early next week if the dam humidity gets out of here...thunderstorms...

plus got a few parts still on there way for the front suspension....one on monday...and new steering box on wednesday...so nothing is going back in until then...

next race sept 10...so i got a few days...

102 ON THE EAST
SIDE. SOUTHWEST WIND UNDER 10 MPH.
CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS 50 PERCENT

Got the front of the engine torn apart...intake manifold off...rockers and pushrods out....removed lifters and put them in order in a box....removed the old MP 590 cam...

Cam looks beautiful.....that Mobile 5w-20 dino oil with zppd addictive....dam even broke it in with the dual springs....

got some things cleaned up...need to R&R oil pan...probably dial in cam before that....

Attachments

• IMG_1577.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1576.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1574.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_1573.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 216
Got the oil pan and oil correct pickup tube for the moroso pan....and cleaned up the Victor intake manifold.....

Fed ex truck dropped off the qa1 k member this afternoon....one more piece to the puzzle...new manual steering box...

Attachments

• IMG_1578.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1579.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1580.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 226
Degree in the Hughes 260/264 solid lifter cam.....all is good..lifters, pushrods and rocker arms all installed.

Motor is only waiting on new rocker arms adjusters and jam nuts...replacing all of them......suppose to be here on Tuesday...got the front of the motor all back on...including alternator and electric water pump...

Saturday morning I tackled the QA1 k member....with engine out and up on lift...2 hours and the new K member was bolted in....along with new manual steering box....got it in and out without touching the steering column ...

Attachments

• IMG_1581.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1582.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 198
Tony gets more done than a family of Beaver's! Always doing something. :D

That is how you stay young by eating Beaver....LOL

gotta do something after work....retired state worker...working for consultant on a govt job...LOL

-
Back