71 Scamp Dangerous To Drive

-
The tires on that car should be enough to keep it from dragging into every little rut.
Does the steering change when you hit bumps?

Well you definitely have made some great music.
You'll get the car sorted out. Frame rails are available and a good welder guy can do it easily.
That said your rut / steering issue is something loose up front. I bet if you have someone turn the back and forth while you look up in there, you'll find it.

Well you definitely have made some great music.
You'll get the car sorted out. Frame rails are available and a good welder guy can do it easily.
That said your rut / steering issue is something loose up front. I bet if you have someone turn the back and forth while you look up in there, you'll find it.
Thank you for the encouragement and kind words- it is much appreciated while in the rabbit hole

Here's probably the best advice you will get ! IF YOU have to have your mechanic fix everything on your car, you better get out if this hobby now !

Not to sound like an ***, but it's expensive enough doing most all repairs yourself. It can get real expensive real fast if you pay shops to troubleshoot problems and repair.

The driving issues are definitely in the front suspension not the rust problem. Others have listed pretty much everything to look for. Worn out lower control arm bushings could also be contributing to the problem. I would suspect a faulty alignment first but everything should be thoroughly inspected as others have said.

The driving issues are definitely in the front suspension not the rust problem. Others have listed pretty much everything to look for. Worn out lower control arm bushings could also be contributing to the problem. I would suspect a faulty alignment first but everything should be thoroughly inspected as others have said.

Pretty big assumption you’re making there. The rust in the rear rails probably isn’t causing the driving issue, but there’s nothing that says that the front rails can’t be as rusty as the rear rails are. And if there’s rust in the front rails in the usual places, like right at the UCA mounts where dirt likes to collect, it could easily be causing the issue.

Looking for rust just goes along with inspecting for worn out bushings, broken LCA pivot tubes and cracks in the steering mount at the K frame. And of course the alignment, since a lack of positive caster can make the car feel like steering a shopping cart.

Pretty big assumption you’re making there. The rust in the rear rails probably isn’t causing the driving issue, but there’s nothing that says that the front rails can’t be as rusty as the rear rails are. And if there’s rust in the front rails in the usual places, like right at the UCA mounts where dirt likes to collect, it could easily be causing the issue.

Looking for rust just goes along with inspecting for worn out bushings, broken LCA pivot tubes and cracks in the steering mount at the K frame. And of course the alignment, since a lack of positive caster can make the car feel like steering a shopping cart.
You’re right. Rust that extensive could cause those problems. I just meant i wouldn’t put it at the top of the list, but it should definitely be checked as you pointed out.

Don't forget the torsion bar cross member where the torsion bar hexes are. Some of those were already weak from the factory due to piss poor weld quality and don't need the help of any rust. lol

-
Back