72 duster Build progress

-
Well, today I figured since we had nice weather and I didnt have anything going on really...That i would start working on the duster.

I unbolted my seats and pulled them out, cleaned all the "crap" out of the interior , swept the floors , washed the floors, unbolted shifter and lined the hole that my shifter cable goes through with a split vacuum hose so that my cable won't chafe on the sharp edge of metal.

then I did a bunch of measuring and of my floor and ceiling and cut all my insulation material up to the shapes I wanted.

I used aluminum backed bubble wrap type stuff thats used for insulating siding on homes and attics and crawl spaces and stuff.

I then brushed contact cement on the floors and ceiling and all the insulation.

let it all tack up a bit and then stuck them all in place like a puzzle piece's and I then used an aluminum tape (comes on a roll like duct tape but is just a sticky backed roll of aluminum)..And I tapped all my seams and edges.

I only did on the floor pans where they will be "open" (meaning no seats or center console or anything over the metal to muffle the noise)......it came out really nice, pictures don't do it much justice.

All the materials set me back about $30.00 ,thats 25 ft x 2 ft insulation ,huge roll of aluminum tape and a quart can of contact cement........sure does beat the hell out of dropping hundreds on hush mat or dyomat and what not ( oh plus last month i spray undercoated the ceiling....so add another $5.00 for a total of $35.00 to do the job......not bad!)

now I have to paint the two little metal rear panels in the back at the bottom and retape the plastic wind barriers in place, run my speaker wires and my power seat wires and my carpet can go in and so can my headliner and then its all just little stuff that's left to do. (interior wise anyhow).

Attachments

• IMG_0244.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 999
  • IMG_0245.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 993
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 990
  • IMG_0252.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,011
Man. I've been reading this thread for about an hour now, and all I can say is WOW. This car is going to be BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the little details that you did with the car. Especially with the engine (valve covers, intake, etc.). It's the little things that make your car stand out. I can't wait to see the finished product! Good luck with the rest of the build.

Sounds like you had great day with your duster Dude :cheers:
Very nice job 8) a day well spent :-D:-D
I did not do a thing today :clock: well I kept the couch warm :-D
Congratulations on a very neatly dun job behind you :happy10:

Sounds like you had great day with your duster Dude :cheers:
Very nice job 8) a day well spent :-D:-D
I did not do a thing today :clock: well I kept the couch warm :-D
Congratulations on a very neatly dun job behind you :happy10:

HAHA ,thanks Mike.......I have been keeping the coach warm alot lately because all the cold weather has been coming in and to top it off we have had rain....but today it was sunny and in the 70's so I made sure to get some things done.

its getting there ,interior I should be able to have wrapped up soon and then I can worry about finishing up body work.

Man. I've been reading this thread for about an hour now, and all I can say is WOW. This car is going to be BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the little details that you did with the car. Especially with the engine (valve covers, intake, etc.). It's the little things that make your car stand out. I can't wait to see the finished product! Good luck with the rest of the build.

Sorry it took you awhile to read through it lol, I try to post any and all progress I make and I try to take pictures of everything ( I have about 1,000-1,500 pictures saved up from when I got it until now) .

And thanks ! I try to put little details in where most people might not think to....just a little added touch.

and I have been working off of limited funds so I do alot of bargain hunting and I try to buy some things used for cheap ( like the valve covers and intake ) and spiff them up to look new.

Thanks for checking it out and stay tuned for more progress to come!

So, I got my Newest issue Of Mopar Muscle magazine today... And you will never guess who was in it! :read2:

Awesome job!! Keep up the good work!

Also, Did you insulate up the firewall as well? Cause on My Duster I get a TON of radiant heat off the firewall! that would definitely be a place to do it.

So, I got my Newest issue Of Mopar Muscle magazine today... And you will never guess who was in it! :read2:

Awesome job!! Keep up the good work!

HAHA THANKS!!!! .....yup its pretty exciting ....I am going to frame a copy of it some time and hang it on the wall.

Also, Did you insulate up the firewall as well? Cause on My Duster I get a TON of radiant heat off the firewall! that would definitely be a place to do it.

I insulated half way up the firewall, any further and I would have had to remove the heater box and pedal assembly and all the other doodads that are mounted to the firewall. It should knock down some heat and noise anyhow.....better than factory atleast.

Man your black shiny floor in the first couple pics looks real nice. Much better than my recent amateur job, maybe I'll get to around to redoing it someday soon.

thanks for thread and pics

Great Job DusterDude.. I keep coming back to your thread for motivation on my 72 duster project.

Man your black shiny floor in the first couple pics looks real nice. Much better than my recent amateur job, maybe I'll get to around to redoing it someday soon.

thanks for thread and pics

Thanks , what I had did for the floors was alot of wire brushing ,a little bit of grinding and some sanding to get all of the old paint and grime and what not off the floor,then I primed it and sprayed it gloss black......took about a day to do and $20.00 in supplies.

Great Job DusterDude.. I keep coming back to your thread for motivation on my 72 duster project.

I am glad my thread gives you some motivation......even with as much work I have left to do on the duster that "should" keep me motivated I still find myself straying away from time to time and I have to search others threads so I myself can get some motivation.

its easy to get side tracked .....but I will get it finished one day....hopefully sooner than later though lol.

wow man wow, i just read the whole thread.

now my eyes hurt from staring at the screen and my balls hurt from all the sexiness you put into this.

again your floor work is inspirational, I might redo mine. I recently did a poor one day job of sanding off rust, priming and installing carpet in my dart. Im a total car noob and so i really didnt know what i was doing.

I'm thinking of pulling my seats out again, doing a better job of getting ALL the rust off the bottom (I didnt have complete clean metal but left some pitting and a bit of surface rust in the nooks, is this bad?), pounding out two big dents I found under each of my seats, priming and sealing it proper as you did, and get my carpet to lay right next time.

I bought a dynomat and really dont know why, I think its pretty silly stuff (waste of my money), but im not sure.

I'd really like to see in great detail how you get your year one carpet in. I have problems with not much overlap between the front and back section and I front is not laying nice. From a laying point of view, and based on where the foot mat is, the front needs to move forward, but that would leave no overlap between front and back. the back cant move foward because its molded to have rear feet in certain spot.

I'm also worried about the bucket seats not going back in if I pound on the floor too much. I did a bit of pounding last time before giving up on it, and had a hard time getting the seat in on that side....

anyway, it was way cool to see the vid of u starting the car after all that work. congrates on car, mag, and all.
best of luck, I look forward to updates.

if I just read all of this tread, you can read this long post :p
peace

wow man wow, i just read the whole thread.

now my eyes hurt from staring at the screen and my balls hurt from all the sexiness you put into this.

again your floor work is inspirational, I might redo mine. I recently did a poor one day job of sanding off rust, priming and installing carpet in my dart. Im a total car noob and so i really didnt know what i was doing.

I'm thinking of pulling my seats out again, doing a better job of getting ALL the rust off the bottom (I didnt have complete clean metal but left some pitting and a bit of surface rust in the nooks, is this bad?), pounding out two big dents I found under each of my seats, priming and sealing it proper as you did, and get my carpet to lay right next time.

I bought a dynomat and really dont know why, I think its pretty silly stuff (waste of my money), but im not sure.

I'd really like to see in great detail how you get your year one carpet in. I have problems with not much overlap between the front and back section and I front is not laying nice. From a laying point of view, and based on where the foot mat is, the front needs to move forward, but that would leave no overlap between front and back. the back cant move foward because its molded to have rear feet in certain spot.

I'm also worried about the bucket seats not going back in if I pound on the floor too much. I did a bit of pounding last time before giving up on it, and had a hard time getting the seat in on that side....

anyway, it was way cool to see the vid of u starting the car after all that work. congrates on car, mag, and all.
best of luck, I look forward to updates.

if I just read all of this tread, you can read this long post :p
peace

HAHAHA , Yes....I just read your hole post lol.

Thanks for the compliments!!!.

as for your floor.... minor pitting is ok aslong as you clean it up real good and use some sort of rust inhibitor . Pour 15 I hear is great stuff to put over any exposed areas!.

all I did was grind,wirewheel and sand my floors really good and then primed them and painted them , luckily I didnt really have any rust issues.

Dynomat is good stuff.....but expensive...and with me being on a budget, I find my self looking for alternatives to try to achieve close to the same results but at a fraction of the cost.

I also have the two peice carpet.. ...I have my carpet just setting in place right now but by the looks of it with both peices in where they should be, I should have about 6" of overlap from one carpet to the other.

when I get my carpet done I will post up pictures.

Sorry I have not posted in a bit everyone.

I have recently been doing quite a bit of work with the duster...( I did a write up on carpet install if anyone wants to check it out go ahead and look it up).

anyhow, I will let the pictures pretty much speak for themselves and show you guys what I have been up to the passed week:cheers:

DSCI1307-1.jpg

DSCI1306-1.jpg

DSCI1303-1.jpg

DSCI1302-1.jpg

DSCI1301.jpg

DSCI1304-1.jpg

DSCI1300.jpg

you started in march.? you are not done yet? nah, just playin with ya. i just found your build thread. keep up the great work

-
Back