72 duster Build progress

-
The weather here chilled back off. And on top of that I sold my truck and then I got a REALLY REALLY good deal on another truck....so I have been dinking around with that a little bit.

so I have not got a bunch more done on the duster since my last post. But like I said before. Im saving up a good chunk of pictures and info and im going to drop them all here in the thread soon. getting closer to primer!

Thanks for the update dude.. Dont know if you saw my thread lately.. The Buggy has been jammed, and we are just finishing up sanding the body with 400...She gets painted this weekend (or next weekend at the latest) .. check it out.. Cant wait to see pics of yours in primer...

Thanks for the update dude.. Dont know if you saw my thread lately.. The Buggy has been jammed, and we are just finishing up sanding the body with 400...She gets painted this weekend (or next weekend at the latest) .. check it out.. Cant wait to see pics of yours in primer...

Yup, ive been keeping tabs on your thread. looks awesome! ,has got to feel good seeing some color fly and knowing it will all be one color in a short time. I cant wait till im at that point. Im in the sanding stage right now. And im probably going to see ALOT of sanding lol. Im going to sand,sand,sand,stick sand,stick sand,stick sand. Paints only as good as the body work after all. But this is the home stretch now so I am trying to bust *** and get her done by summer. fingers crossed.

Still gonna go PLUM CRAZY rite? PLEASE!!!!!

yup she is still going to be plum crazy!!! ......I had a couple days worth of brain fart or something when I considered a color change but im glad I stepped out of that state of mind lol. Its just hard after having a project for so long because it gives you plenty of time to second guess everything you are doing to it lol.

should be some neat updates to this thread soon. stay tuned

sorry I havent done much updating everyone. been a busy busy bee these last few weeks. Between our little girl ( who by the way is getting bigger and smarter everyday and has been such a good baby besides the occasional late night wake ups lol) and our little boy and school functions and what not and I have been helping so many other people on their vehicles I havent had as much time as I would like to have had to devote to the duster. Plus I picked up a heck of a deal on a truck that i couldnt pass up and I had to do a little work to that to which kept me busy.

But.....its moving and groving time on the duster now.....My wife goes back to work from maternity leave in about a week so I have to get as much done as i can while I have a little bit of free time.

I got a new fuel pump for the duster because the one in it has been a little finnicky at times, I got a new front and rear bumper for the duster from AMD ( went with 70-71 bumpers because I like the smooth look of the non jack slot bumpers), got all my door seals and trunk seals, got to go tomorrow and pick up a few paint supplies.

I have finished all th welding and patch panels I had to do on the duster,she is all papered off, started doing a bit of filler work and sanding. right now its just in rough filler, I still need to sand most of it off.....not going to be much filler in it at all.

plan is to get all the body work knocked out and have it in primer within the week. Then do some stick sanding and get it as straight as possible,then prime,seal and color when ever we get a decent bit of weather. Here in lower MI the temps have been going up and down so rapidly latly (80 one day ,40 the next).

Not a huge update ....but an update none the less. I was planning on waiting until it was in primer to update but i figured id fill everyone in now. why not.

stay tuned...lots more to come soon!

IMAG0202.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0197.jpg

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

IMAG0205.jpg

IMAG0206.jpg

IMAG0208.jpg

IMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0210.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

IMAG0216.jpg

IMAG0251.jpg

IMAG0250.jpg

IMAG0254.jpg

IMAG0253.jpg

IMAG0252.jpg

I forgot to take some pictures of the patch process's. but I think you get the idea. its all done now and came out nice. I have done more since these pictures also....so things are even a little closer yet.

stay tuned for more soon to come!

Looks Great DusterDude72 any progress is wonderful specially when it comes with pics :) keep pluggin away

your metal work always surprises me with how good you are.

Thanks, Yeah I enjoy forming and welding metal. Some friends were telling me to just put filler over the little bit of rust holes I recently finished patching because they were only pin holes of rust....... But I didnt come all this way and spend all this time replacing metal to cut corners like that. so I went ahead and cut it all out and put new metal in. makes me feel better knowing that any rust that was on the car is now all gone.

Looks Great DusterDude72 any progress is wonderful specially when it comes with pics :) keep pluggin away

Yes, any progress is good lol......but im ready to be done. Ive been working on it almost 3 years and its has taken alot of funds and alot of time. And with 2 kids now I am not going to be able to devote as much time to working on it. So I am ready to get it finished and finally get to enjoy the other half of the project .....DRIVING IT!!!! lol. it has been a fun project though....even with as grooling as it has been at times. I have learned alot.

I will be taking more pictures as I make more progress ....and like I said. plan is to try to get everything smoothed out and in primer within the week so I am hoping to get you guys some real nice progress pictures soon!

Hey with all you have going on and what all has happened to you I am surprised you still have it, BUT I am glad you still have it. Cause I've been there and have just been able to get back into it myself but not where I would like to be. I hope you get primer on it soon. What kind of time line are you looking at getting actual paint on her, I know sooner the better but just wondering.
Brad

Went and got all my reducers, hardner, more paint for door jams and inside trunk and what not, got my sealer and activator, got more body materials and stuff. So now i have everything to finish it pretty much.

Yeah it hasn't been to easy for us this last year with my wife getting laid off and having to move and all else that has gone on. But things finally started coming around a bit so hopefully everything continues to go well.

As for actually paint. As soon as the weather gets nice enough. Possibly in may at some point.

Thanks guys!

didnt get nothing done on the duster today other than installed a new battery and battery box in it. Otherwise have been busy helping my father out with a few things. And tomorrow is easter so I wont get nothing done tomorrow. and monday I have plans so I don't know how much ill get done then. but after that Im going back on it hard so I can get-r-ready for primer!

P.S. Im in need of a passenger side rally/sport mirror. id like to get on prior to paint so I can get it mached up and have the holes drilled. I don;t have much funds to work with but if someone has something they can work a deal on me with id appreciate it.

Also, I got new front and rear bumpers for the duster .....I already gave the rear to a friend of mine for scrap because it was less than perfect shape. but the front bumper is still very straight....just the chrome is hazy on it but would be good for rechrome or paint. if anyone in or around the lower MI area wants it ill give them a really good deal on it!.

Wonderful work! I just got to work on mine this weekend because I visited from school. Felt good to rip the old tail panel off and put the new one on. Next thing is welding cage in and other suspension parts then fill holes in engine compartment and then paint like yours!

Wonderful work! I just got to work on mine this weekend because I visited from school. Felt good to rip the old tail panel off and put the new one on. Next thing is welding cage in and other suspension parts then fill holes in engine compartment and then paint like yours!

way to go! progress is always good!. we had snow here in MI again after being in the 70's and 80's the last couple weeks lol. so once it warms back up ill get back on the duster again.

I havent forgot about the paint codes we talked about over PM's by the way.....just havent made it over to where my duster is stored yet to jot them down for you. but when I do I will let you know.

Good work Dude. It IS all of the small things that make turn out great. I finally got some color squirted on mine and it is so nice to see all of your work pay off. Keep it up.

no worries! Just really excited haha the only other color I like for purple is HOK Pavo Purple http://zilvia.net/f/cars-sale/404248-240sx-track-car.html but they put rainbow flakes on this car so its kinda eh

And im wondering if your paint code is PHG

nope, I pm'ed you with it so you can see all the info on my paint to help in your search.

Good work Dude. It IS all of the small things that make turn out great. I finally got some color squirted on mine and it is so nice to see all of your work pay off. Keep it up.

Thanks....I cant wait for color!

Worked on the duster again today. been a sanding fool! lol.

But Id say a good 95% of the car is down to bare metal. I have to sand the hood still and a bit on the roof. Went through and found any dings in the body and smoothed them out and sanded them down. another good day of sanding on it and it should be basically ready for primer. Im hoping for this weekend but cant make any promises with what the weather is suppose to be like....but Im trying lol.

feels good to make progress. but my body is not very happy with all the sanding so far lol. I cant wait to get it in primer and get into block/stick sanding....atleast it is easier to sand on. but this 40 year old paint is like sanding on concrete...it takes forever to gain any ground on it lol.

But its getting there everyone! I cant wait to get it in primer because it will be a big turning point in the project. Then I can actually make a list of whats left to do thats not so overwhelming when i look at it. once in primer the list will pretty much consist of (sand,paint,put sticker package on,finish a few little interior things,DRIVE IT!!!!

stay tuned guys!

how are you going to paint the interior? Like, the roof under the headliner and everything? Im trying to understand how I am suppose to prepare all those areas for paint? Or do they not get paint? Im asking because I want to know how to remove the old paint from the inside!

My interior is already painted. And if your talking about my door jams?, i am just going to open the door, mask off interior and interior side of the door and paint it.

My interior is already painted. And if your talking about my door jams?, i am just going to open the door, mask off interior and interior side of the door and paint it.

Oh I meant like under the headliner and under sail panels. Did you just primer and paint or what? Im not near my car anymore sorry. But most likely Im going to wire wheel the floor from the firewall to trunk and POR15 it all

oh.....yeah I did all that a long time ago...its done. my interior is 95% done. I just need to make a speaker shelf pretty much.

my interior roof I sanded down and used rubberised under coating on and then applied insulation and a new headliner. then floor I sanded and painted and also applied insulation and then new carpet padding and new carpet.

-
Back