72 duster wheel and tire fitment

-

Duster 72

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm feeling pretty stupid at the moment.trying to figure out the best wheel and tire combo for my duster. Big bolt pattern disc up front drum rear. I'm looking at running crager ss mags 15x7 up front and 15x8 in the rear wasn't sure on tire size. 225/60 up front 255/60 in the rear? Back spacing? Don't want to move springs or tub the car it's a big block car any help would be greatly appreciated

I'm running 275/65-15s on a 15x8 in the rear (71 duster)

That is about as wide as you can go
Not sure on the back spacing, but mine is SBP anyway

no, much smaller up front, but not sure of the top of my head

ill check later

Hey guys I'm feeling pretty stupid at the moment.trying to figure out the best wheel and tire combo for my duster. Big bolt pattern disc up front drum rear. I'm looking at running crager ss mags 15x7 up front and 15x8 in the rear wasn't sure on tire size. 225/60 up front 255/60 in the rear? Back spacing? Don't want to move springs or tub the car it's a big block car any help would be greatly appreciated

This is what I did.
put a flat bar, stick or whatever across the flat surface where the wheel mounts.
Measure from the inner edge of the bar,stick or whatever to the leaf spring.
Measure from the inner edge of the flat bar, stick or whatever to your inner wheel lip. (a string with a nut for a plumb bob from the inner fender lip to the tape measure)

Now you have your inner clearance and backspacing and how wide of a tire you can put on there.
Ordering wheels and tires this way gave me 1/2 inch clearance from the wheel to the fender lip, and 1/2 inch from the leaf spring to the tire.
I wanted as wide a wheel and tire I could fit in the wheel well.

Remember though, rims are measured from the inside of the lip to inside of the lip where the tire sits on it.
So for example if you order 10 inch wheels they are actually going to be over 10 on the outsides.

225 65 15s up front on 15 x 7s
255 60 15s on rears on 15 x 8s, 4" BS

Nice size setup, gives you a 1" Rake from back to front. Decent width tires in rears, can goe next size bigger rear tires, but that is getting too big IMO.

The Guys at Tire Werks told me the same thing. They also said 65s in the front is the way to go, not too short, not too tall.

Good luck, no easy task picking just the right wheels and tires to fit your setup.

Just checked, I run a 205-65/15 on a 15x7 up front
Thank you for everyone's help!! Now the hard part of picking out the right wheels for the car trying to stay period correct. Even though nothing on the car is stock I. Still trying to make it look like it came from that era

Thank you for everyone's help!! Now the hard part of picking out the right wheels for the car trying to stay period correct. Even though nothing on the car is stock I. Still trying to make it look like it came from that era
you kidding?
thats the easy parts
US MagsU101

20180322_143040-jpg.jpg

225 65 15s up front on 15 x 7s
255 60 15s on rears on 15 x 8s, 4" BS

Nice size setup, gives you a 1" Rake from back to front. Decent width tires in rears, can goe next size bigger rear tires, but that is getting too big IMO.

The Guys at Tire Werks told me the same thing. They also said 65s in the front is the way to go, not too short, not too tall.

Good luck, no easy task picking just the right wheels and tires to fit your setup.
Going over some of my old records:

215 65 15 fronts on 15 x 7s
255 60 15 rears on 15 x 8s
This is what I used to get the 1" rake from back to front.

Beautiful ride like the mags! I was leaning towards crager ss mags but so hard to decide. Want to keep it classy

Like the slots, and always been a fan of the back in the day Cragars too.

The Cragars are heavy wheels, my personal favorites of late are the lighter all Aluminum Torq Thrust II 15" wheels with Black Wall Radial T/A Tires. They look close to what the cragars were.

The lighter Torq Thrusts give a noticeable seat of the pants performance boost by the less rotating mass that you have to spin up each time you take off. Easier braking too, less rotating mass to slow down when trying to stop.

If your A Body is powered by a 318 every little performance edge you can muster up is a welcone site.

Here is 69 B Body with the stock 318 and added 4bbl. Torq Thusts, no power steering slowing it down either. Very much liked the looks and performance of this one, along with running the 2.94 rear gears.

So happy with that one, good looks and all around great performance, and cruising nice at today's freeway speeds too.

20180612_205811.jpg

D2716876-87D9-42EF-A5A3-178A89066A66.jpeg

That's pretty sweet. I never considered the weight issue especially with breaking. My duster is 440 car with manual breaks and steering did the Mancini conversion for front disc but still manual. I was thinking bout running the Cooper cobra radials

That's pretty sweet. I never considered the weight issue especially with breaking. My duster is 440 car with manual breaks and steering did the Mancini conversion for front disc but still manual. I was thinking bout running the Cooper cobra radials

On your manual brakes, a 15/16" bore manual master cylinder makes your brake pedal easier to push and gives you a little more control of the brakes over the larger bore factory masters.

73 Darts manual disc/drum cars had the 15/16" bore masters available, at Rock Auto. If you are interested.

I have 245/60/15's on my duster (Rear) with 4 inch back space on a 8 inch wheel. You can do 255/60/15's with a 4 1/4 8 inch wheel and that is it without some type of modification. Others will tell you wider but not without minimal mods.

-
Back