'72 Scamp-not really a "restoration"

-

txstang84

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a '72 given to me by my Dad, and since I'm a new member here, I was asked by one of the moderators to post up a couple of pictures...here goes...

...oh-and no clowning the bootleg custom seat repair...I know they need to be reupholstered...

Attachments

• 100_1889a.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 2,781
  • 100_2861a.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 2,692
  • 100_2468a.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 2,650
  • 100_2458a.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 2,663
  • 100_1948b.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 2,676
  • 100_1940b.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 2,685
  • 100_1893b.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 2,703
  • 100_1892a.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 2,684
Welcome to the site and Thanks for sharing your pics. I have seen that car somewhere there before. Neighborhood looks real formiliar.

Glad to have you aboard..... Ill go ahead and ask: What's with the Ford Racing banner? LOL

The car is a '72 Scamp given to me by my Dad who bought it from the original owner in about '89. The original owner used to drive it up and down the beach in Galveston, and rarely took care of it as evidenced by some rotted sheetmetal. It sat for the better part of a decade down at my Dad's near Houston getting covered in ivy and in dire need of some TLC.

I picked the car up in '07 and had to get a new carb (2bbl) sending unit and gas tank just to get it running on it's own as the top of the tank rotted through and the substance which presumably was gasoline turned into something resembling a tar pit. During this process, the engine bent 5 pushrods due to stuck valves. After installing some new pushrods, repairing the valve situation, installing the new carb, new timing chain set, water pump, t-stat, hoses, wires, etc....I drove it routinely for about a year until I deployed and then it sat for six months and my better half rarely touched it. Since my return and subsequent deployment, we acquired another vehicle and priorities shifted away from ol' blue.

So far, I've rebuilt the braking system completely (minus the rear drums as I can't locate the correct ones), upgraded the points to Mopar electronic, installed new carpet, shocks, and a few nick nacks here and there. The car is still rather taken with cancer, but I don't have the means to pursue repairing all of them with new stampings...not yet anyway. Even if I did have the money, I don't really have the time.

Short term plans include dropping in a 5.2 Magnum sourced from a friend since the 318 currently in there is making some noises I don't really care for. I just need to collect up a few more parts and a few free weekends and it'll be ready to go in. I intend to leave it carbed for right now since the engine did not come with all the EFI garb and again, I don't have the chance to go peruse the junk yards to gather all the pieces parts to do the swap. I'd like to get an EFI setup as I've done a similar upgrade before (more on that in a moment), but just don't wanna mess with it right now.

The 904/7.25" open combo will have to stay in there for the time being until I get around to putting in something with an overdrive and a better rear axle. I'm sure some of you already noticed it's still rockin' the small circle lug pattern, and along with many other things, I'm not interested in chasing that right now as it wears decent rubber and the brakes are functional.

My end goal for the car is: for the body to be straight rust free and wear it's original B5 blue with a white top, and white trunk stripe (according to the fender tag); to have a reliable powertrain with overdrive and can easily acheive 20+ hwy mpg, and not be a wheezing turd; A/C...I do live in Texas...; clean, comfortable interior; daily drivable.

As for the Ford Racing banner-I grew up with, and still "suffer" from, Mustang fever. My first car, a 1984 Mustang GT, is obscured in the first picture. It's also in a state of constant change. Barely anything on it remains the same from 1984 aside from about 45% of the sheetmetal. That car will always be my bigger priority-that's just the way it is. I recently accepted money for the Vortech supercharged 302 under the hood (along with the tranny, ignition, complete EFI, piggyback ECU, etc etc etc) in favor of swapping in a 4.6 4V and a single 67mm turbo (end goal there 550-600 rwhp). The engine for that is in the works, and likely will be for close to if not more than a year from now.

I absolutely love American Iron, of all makes and creeds. There are some that blow my hair back more than others, but if it's saddled with a V8, I'm probably a fan. My biggest prejudice is to a-holes...I've met all kinds of them. Some drive Mustangs, others drive Camaros-I've even met a few folks who thought because they drove a Mopar, I wasn't good enough to talk to them or be in their presence because I was obviously just some token peasant Ford guy.

I'm sure by now I've bored everyone to the point of navigating to another page, so, there ya have it...I'll post up whenever I have updates to ol' blue.

Jeff

If you've seen it before, you probably were spending more than a little time in Abilene back around '07-'08.

Ok, more about the car-my Dad bought it from the original owner around '88-'89. The original owner used to drive it on the beach at Galveston and wasn't well cared for. My Dad wanted to get it freshened up but he's got more projects than he can handle, and the car sat for the better part of a decade in his driveway near Houston. I picked it up on a trailer back in '07 and started getting it driveable. After replacing the gas tank w/sender, new carb, tearing half the engine apart and replacing some pushrods, timing chain, etc, I started driving the car.

I've completely rebuilt the brakes (aside from rear drums as they don't seem to exist anywhere), replaced shocks, upgraded ignition, new carpet and package tray, and some other knick knacks here and there.

In the short term, I have a 5.2 Magnum (carbed) going in after I figure out a couple things. I'd like to retrofit EFI, and go with a newer tranny and rear axle as well, but I don't have the funds or time to support that endeavor as of right now...probably won't for a few years.

My end goal for the car is to be straight rust free and wear the original code B5 blue with white top and trunk stripe, a reliable powertrain that can make 20+ mpg on the hwy and not be a wheezing turd, A/C (hey, this is Texas), smooth comfortable interior, disc brakes, daily drivable regardless of weather.

As for the Ford Racing banner-I grew up with, and still "suffer" from Mustang fever. My first car, a 1984 GT, is obscured in the first picture. It's a shadow of it's former self, and barely anything aside from about half of the sheetmetal remains from 1984. I recently accepted money for the Vortech supercharged 302 under the hood (and tranny, EFI, piggyback ECU, etc etc) in favor of installing a 4.6 4V with a single 67mm turbo. That's the bigger project right now...I love both cars, but the Mustang is my bigger priority-thats just the way it is.

I love all American Iron-regardless of make. If it's powered by a V8, I probably like it. My biggest prejudice is against a-holes...and I've met all kinds. Some drive Mustangs, some Camaros...I've even met a couple of folks who believed because they drove old classic Mopars, that I wasn't good enough to talk to them or share space with them-after all I was just a peasant Ford guy.

I'm sure I've bored anyone reading this enough to wanna navigate elsewhere, so, well..that's it. Thanks for the welcome mat fellas...I'll post up anytime I do have an update or query.

Jeff

One step at a time- just keep the pics coming as you progress (and that's OK with the Ford-hone your skills there lol)

New powerplant...needs a can of engine paint...

Absolutely nothing special. I received the core as "payment" if you will helping a friend as mentioned before. I bought a new crank kit for it, and the manifold you see there and put it all back together with a new Summit Racing oil pan. I did have an Edelbrock 600 man choke ready to go on, but after a closer inspection, the throttle shaft bushings were terribly worn and no one around here does work like that anymore. So, another order was dispatched to Summit and about 3 days later, a shiny new 600cfm Summit vac sec 4bbl showed up. If you haven't seen them, they're Summit's iterraton of the not-so-popular Holley 4010 series carbs released back in the late 80s or early 90s (IIRC). I figured I'd give it a try-if it works, great-if not, I'll be sending it back.

I also bought a pair of the Hedman tight tube headers and a high torque late model type starter-love it! The headers are gonna be a slight pain to route because they run so close to the steering parts, but hopefully the place I take it will be able to route the pipes around without much ado.

Attachments

• 5.2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 2,600
  • 5.2 again.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 2,569
  • scamp header.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 2,514
  • scamp header 2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 2,500
  • scamp starter.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 2,517
I also ordered a new dash from one of the members on here (CashA10 I think?)-he estimated 4 weeks for completion, then I'll work on getting that thrown in probably around the time the engine finally gets swapped out-after I source some gages to finish the set. I swapped AutoMeter Phantoms in my Mustang about 8 years ago or so, then because of some changes, I had to swap out the fuel level gage. As luck would have it, the one I took out shares the same resistance range as my Scamp (at least according some googling). Another change in progress with the Mustang will also require me to swap to an electronic speedometer, so I'll have one of them left over. It would only make sense to save about $150 and stick with the Phantoms as opposed to buying a whole new set.

And because the car is 40 years old, I'll either have to replace the steering gear or band aid it due to a fluid leak. The last time I had it inspected, the Avis wouldn't pass it for that...lame.

Anyway, here's a couple more pics. I'm sure someone won't care for the seats, but it was significantly less expensive to buy those than have my bench seat refoamed and reskinned. I'll probably have the back seat redone to match the front before too much longer.

...and a little picture of what I see at work.

Attachments

• new seats.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 2,856
  • seats 2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 2,466
  • work.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 2,482
First of all, don't worry what anyone says about your car. You build it to make yourself happy. Let the haters hate.

I love Scamps, half Dart half Duster. Keep up the good work, and keep us posted with your progress. The pictures help keep the rest of us motivated on our projects.

Welcome and thank you for your service and time to keep us safe :cheers:
This is a good read and complete :wave: Your dad has dun a great job raising a good man that has the get up and go to enjoy these great cars and you have dun some good work and moving forward :cheers:
Yes :glasses7: keep us updated and enjoy the great folks and tec's here :coffee2:

Nice work! keep us posted and thanks for your service!:salute::salute:

i love the steering wheel. i like the way it looks in your car. i got one of those about 4 months ago it's sitting in the back, going to go in my duster someday :D

I like the seats, what are they from?

I *think* they're from a late 80's Cutlass Calais. They're pretty narrow, so it kinda makes me want to build a custom console for it. Of course I had to drill new holes for mounting them and use some old chassis hardware to fasten them down, but overall, I'm really happy with them. They sit well, and they were only like $100.

I also thought about buying some retractable harnesses for it. Don't get me wrong, the shoulder harnesses attached to the roof kinda have a certain charm, but I'd really like something that allows more flexibility.

Nice Scamp ! Never Had a chance to see a B1 in action while in Iraq but from what i understand it's a bad mother. Kinda our first stealth bomber?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHEZTj_lsjs&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHEZTj_lsjs&feature=related[/ame]

Ehh, not so much intended to be "stealth", however, it's radar signature was intended to be smaller than the B-52. It's radar signature is approximately 1% of the B-52's. It's a begrudging love affair for those initiated. I know all the maintainers in this video-great guys. The narrater is a little off on the details though-she says the B-1B is a strategic bomber built in the 70s...that's a little premature. Construction of the first B-1Bs didn't start officially until 1982 (or at least, that's when ship #1 was paid for); the last one, ship #100, tail number 86-0140 was delivered to Grand Forks AFB, ND around April of 1988. However, the B-1A was built and test flown within the 70s until Jimmy Carter put the kibosh on the program in favor of ALCM testing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1sjnLxG4Gc"]B-1 achieves its 10,000th combat sortie .wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Picked it up from the exhaust shop a few hours ago now-I really like that the fabber was able to install over-the-steering linkage pipes. He did a nice job especially with the driver side pipe-less than 1/2" clearance between the late model starter and torsion bar.

Attachments

• scamp exh10.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 2,370
  • scamp exh16.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 2,350
  • scamp exh12.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 2,357
  • scamp exh05.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 2,368
  • scamp exh02.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2,413
Does anyone on here know where I can find the little rollers and hardware for the rear roll down windows?? Mine pop on and off track going up and down...

Love the Scamp! Check out my build in the restoration section. My first build ever and its going fairly well. The quarters arent really that bad to do on these. If you can get away with the partial patch from AMD they do fit nice.

Love the Scamp! Check out my build in the restoration section. My first build ever and its going fairly well. The quarters arent really that bad to do on these. If you can get away with the partial patch from AMD they do fit nice.

Thanks! I'm researching some donors on here for a qtr panel, and I've got a small welder in the garage...I just need to hit the welding supply shop in town and have my bottle filled.

I tried to view your 440 build thread, but I think either my connection is screwd up or the thread is corrupted-there weren't any pictures. But, I'll dig around a little more and see if I can get it to work.

So, I received some parts Friday-an 8 3/4 housing with SB axles and backing plates. Based on what folks on here say, I should be able to carry over my shoes, hardware, etc. The housing looks to be in serviceable shape, and axles look straight. I just gotta find some shock pads, u bolts, yoke, and probably a pinion snubber. My brother has a 741 that just needs to be removed and shipped, so I'm really only paying for the ride here. Then I'll either find a driveshaft or have mine cropped and modded for the new yoke, and I should be gtg. I posted the same picture in a different thread about swapping axles, but I figured it was just as relevant here as there. Don't really suppose I could complain much for $300 shipped...

My brother has a '72 Valiant as well-not a Scamp though; according to the fender tags,ours were made like 3 or 5 days apart-different models, some subtle differences. His has electronic ignition, mine was points; his had the split bench with armrest, mine is just split; his was white with blue int, mine's all blue (and should've had a white top with white trunk stripe). Our Dad gave us the respective cars when he figured he couldn't get around underneath them anymore. His '72 is kind of a basket case right now, but it should provide him some fun when time to work on it permits...seems to be the going excuse, eh?

Anyway, feel free to comment or offer advice as always...or if you happen to have any of the pieces I might need, feel free to pitch a sale. :)

Attachments

• 8_75.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 2,299
-
Back