72 scamp V8 Conversion

-

todde2

Reaction score
I have a slant 6 in my 72 Scamp. I would like to do a V8 conversion. I have done a little research. Wanting to get opinions on what to do.

What needs to be changed, motor mounts, transmission etc?

Does the suspension need to be upgraded? Will the frame handle the V8?

Opinions on what V8 to use?

Anything else I have forgot?

Thanks!

You'll need v8 mounts, new trans, possibly new k member (not sure). Frame will be fine, remember, these were available with a v8. I'd change the torsion bars to a thicker set, but that's just me. Some guys love the /6 bars.

You can get a V-8 engine mount swap kit from http://www.engine-swaps.com/ or, since you have the 67-72 K-frame with the biscuit mounts, you can use a cheaper alternative v-8 swap kit from here:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-4695/

The transmission is different as well, you will need a v-8 727 or 904, but they all use the same transmission mount, so keep the one you have...

the frame is the same for slant 6 and v-8 cars...

but you should do a quality front suspension rebuild, and a disc brake upgrade is a must...for the street, 1.0" torsion bars are very nice and make the car handle much better. for the strip only, slant 6 bars are more desired...a sway bar is also a good thing to have for the street...

you probably have a 7 1/4 rear axle, so it is highly recommended to upgrade to at least an 8 1/4 or eve better, an 8 3/4 rear axle...

as far as what small block to use, it depends on what you want to do with the car....318's are cheap and abundant, and often people give them away...a 360 will give you more room to grow for performance...

Keep your 7 1/4 in the car when you get your V8 in it and running! Then do a burn out and see how long it stands up to the V8 (mine lasted 15 seconds)!

the driver side motor mount tower on 67-72 slant 6 cars is the same as the v8 version.

The only diff is the passenger side.fwiw.

btw, I like those trans adapt brackets better than the schumacher's which are **** eye'd expensive p's os.

Transdapt mount work good but I think I had to buy new hardware when I used them.

Thousands of V8 cars rolled off the line with 7.25 rears. Ring gear diameter doesn't mean squat when the gear teeth are worn away. A worn out 8.75 will fail just as quick as a worn out 7.25

My 72, which is completely stock, has the stock 7 1/4 rear. I beat the snot out of it with no issues. As long as you get no traction, you get no issues with a 7 1/4

Thanks for all the input!

I found this 360 on craigslist:

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/pts/1942275687.html

Is there any reason this setup would not work? I assume the 360 and 727 trans were virtually the same throughout the years?

Someone also recommended upgrading to a heavy duty suspension. Is there somewhere to buy a complete kit? I found individual parts on Summitracing.com. I found some new torsion bars, shocks etc.

The car already has disc brakes in the front. They actually work quite well. I will do a brake system rebuild. Are there bigger brakes to swap on or are the stock ones fine?

Im getting excited about this build!

manciniracing.com is going to be your best friend for a lot of this stuff. Summit has nothing when it comes to mopar stuff.

If you are looking for a nice handling torsion bar with a low cost. Go to Justsuspension.com, they have the 1" torsion bars for $199 pair, if you check ebay Justsuspension sometimes have a deal on there for $179/pair. There is another plce (slipped my mind right now) that has a 1.03" bar, which is 12% stronger than the 1", for around $209/pair.

As for the 360. Most were the same, until the magnum came out in 91-2ish. If it were me, I would look for a 89-91 360 so it comes with a roller cam setup from the factory. That 360 looks like it came from a truck, which isn't bad, but you do not get the good heads on the truck blocks. You should check the year, if it is 85 or newer, I would grab it. (85 or newer have the availability to put factory roller lifters in it)

-
Back