727 or 904?

-
340strokes - Quit being a poor loser and just admit the only thing you know is what the tranny man told you that is the only thing you can guarantee LOL
Actually when I stop to think about it fishmens67 probably does know more about your tranny than you do LOL
excuse the pun but "fish on" LOL

LMFAO:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:...next!!!

Stop fighting so much you're going to break my line! What's so hard about admitting that you're a subcontractor? You buy a car and then you take it and have other people work on it, no big deal.

Don't be jealous cause' you have to get covered in dirt and grease every time you work on your car,and I can afford to pay people do the things that I don't feel like doing the days of getting dirty are over for me,maybe some day MAYBE you'll own something remotely as nice as this..but I doubt it!!

20150920_164441.jpg

20150920_164850.jpg

Little fishy little fishy - you can't break my 50lb test.
Are you seriously turning this into a "I got more money" "my car is shinier than yours "?
Stay focused - you where telling everyone what your tranny guy told you.
edit: nice car

Last edited:
Are you seriously turning this into a "I got more money" "my car is shinier than yours "?

No need that point is given.. have fun getting all greasy and dirty:eek::eek:

Don't forget to tell your tranny guy how dirty and greasy he's going to get working on your transmission before he does it and then poke fun at him because he has to do it LOL

No need that point is given.. have fun getting all greasy and dirty:eek::eek:

Don't forget to tell your tranny guy how dirty and greasy he's going to get working on your transmission before he does it and then poke fun at him because he has to do it LOL

Not my transmission guy underside of my car is as clean as the top(hense why I don't get dirty and greasy) besides he only builds them I take out and install only select professionals allowed to touch my vehicles:D:D:D

Somebody either hand me the biggest net you can find if I could bring this thing a board or cut the line so it doesn't sink the ship good Lord this fish is huge!
DIRT!?? GREASY!?? WHERE!????
Son of a ... did I miss a spot!???
And here I thought I had the cleanest car on FABO??
It's quite obvious I have nowhere to put any grease. Would you like to have people believe I'm going to put greasy dirty Parts back on? LOL
Are we ever going to get back to the 904 transmission? Or are we just going to continue letting 340strokes say bad things about his tranny guy, like he's dirty and greasy LOL
20171111_115733.jpg

Last edited:
It's a duster just like yours except for cleaner. now can the mediators please close this thread for crying out loud! The original poster is already thanked everybody three times for their comments? Now it's just 340strokes and me rolling in the big pile of dog terds. I swear on a pile of dog turds that this is been very entertaining for me and made me laugh quite a bit but I got some work to do....

I think the decision is clear, built with right parts, the 904 will hold up and lower ET's,
This had always been easy question, unless you are going with a glide,

For the 340 or 360 post.........low gear set for the 340 and standard gear set for the 360+ compression!:thumbsup:
There was another post on here that made claim of over building and spending Way too much when it's not needed. Well I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK!!!!
First 340 was built with stock everything and a RV cam:rolleyes:
Next 340 was built with forged crank stock rods with too much money restoring them and then even more money getting it all balance to turn 7000 rpm! With Cam and head swap to turn 5500 rpm............... then purple cam,5800 rpm bad ported head,7200 rpm for a short time and then back to mild port/clean up head and 6000 rpm shift.
20 years later got replaced with an all forged 408 that was balanced to withstand 8000 rpm.....yup you guessed it. heads and cam to turn 5800-6000 rpm.(on its 3d year)

Rebuilding the transmission???? I took it to a "ProFessional" to have it rebuilt(727) lost 2nt gear in 6 months! Shop would not stand by it, because i was "racing it"(remember the RV cam 340:rolleyes:) My buddy had a 904 build by this guy and did a great job......had him rebuild my 727.........2nt gear band aka 2nt gear died again, took it back and it only need an adj:)rolleyes:) lost 2nt gear a month latter. and Yes he helped me set up my kick down...... Now he, don't want anything to do with me. SO buy a kit, do the stage 2 shift kit go thru it and it work as well as the pro's build and a better shift.........You guest it lost 2nt gear. Smart enough now, to know how to adj the band. So i drop the pan check rev band adj. good and take all the adj of the 2nt gear band.
Ended up pulling it back down and installing a rigid band for the stock flex band, as was told this would fix the problem. Yup ....for a while.
Finally Found a guy at the track that raced super com with a 727 behind a B1 big block. he did rebuilds, on the side, and had him rebuild my first, now spare, 727. put a turbo action rev manual shift valve body in it. don't know what else he did to it internally BUT!!!
That transmission started out in the RV 340 and is now living strong behind my 408.
Thats some 25+ year of abuse and still running strong. I know that it didn't get any of them expensive parts like a forged or alu drum because it was $150 plus the valve body.

For those that rebuild transmissions, it was partly my kickdown linkage(2 barral to 4 barral) which was totally eliminated with a manual shift valve body 2nt and most of the problem is that i'm kind of a auto transmission hatter. I NEVER, let it shift by itself. EVER!
So in low 1 you have the rev.(Reverse) band applied and the timing of releasing the rev ban and applying 2nt gear/band was alway off(you could fill it) and smoked the 2nt gear band. Manual valve body eliminates the rev band apply(no decel in 1st gear) Now i have no choice:thankyou: but to decide which gear to select. COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!

So will i ever build another transmission????? not unless Gordon Turner is too old to rebuild this one, when it fails!:poke::D
Yes they make manual shift valve bodies with or without rev. band lock out. I have never had a better 1-2 shift then when i got rid of that pesky low/rev. band mod :elmer::elmer::elmer:when i make enough power to brake the sparage by launching my car(never going to have that kind of money) then i might consider it. but the 1-2 shift will not be as crisp, and no one will convince me other wise.

Now I think I can quickly jump in on the 727 bandwagon here because I do want to trade in my Nissan pickup for a 74 or older full-size pickup and I want it to be an automatic because it will be my daily driver. I can't imagine wanting anything but a 727 in a truck? again it being under probably a more constant higher weight load in all circumstances. And under those circumstances I would probably want the beefier 727 where weight isn't going to be a thing or anything like that too.

OMG thanks for the morning laughs guys! :rofl:
Don't forget we all share the same hobby here... and thankfully we're all a little different.

Mods; please leave this thread up until my trans guy can read it. There's great info and laughs in here!

Maybe the mods can delete the nonsense... That would be the right thing to do. :rofl:

The two slapfight combatants are on ignore, so I don't see it... Like 10 consecutive post that are gone. I love that ignore function

For the 340 or 360 post.........low gear set for the 340 and standard gear set for the 360+ compression!:thumbsup:
There was another post on here that made claim of over building and spending Way too much when it's not needed. Well I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK!!!!
First 340 was built with stock everything and a RV cam:rolleyes:
Next 340 was built with forged crank stock rods with too much money restoring them and then even more money getting it all balance to turn 7000 rpm! With Cam and head swap to turn 5500 rpm............... then purple cam,5800 rpm bad ported head,7200 rpm for a short time and then back to mild port/clean up head and 6000 rpm shift.
20 years later got replaced with an all forged 408 that was balanced to withstand 8000 rpm.....yup you guessed it. heads and cam to turn 5800-6000 rpm.(on its 3d year)

Rebuilding the transmission???? I took it to a "ProFessional" to have it rebuilt(727) lost 2nt gear in 6 months! Shop would not stand by it, because i was "racing it"(remember the RV cam 340:rolleyes:) My buddy had a 904 build by this guy and did a great job......had him rebuild my 727.........2nt gear band aka 2nt gear died again, took it back and it only need an adj:)rolleyes:) lost 2nt gear a month latter. and Yes he helped me set up my kick down...... Now he, don't want anything to do with me. SO buy a kit, do the stage 2 shift kit go thru it and it work as well as the pro's build and a better shift.........You guest it lost 2nt gear. Smart enough now, to know how to adj the band. So i drop the pan check rev band adj. good and take all the adj of the 2nt gear band.
Ended up pulling it back down and installing a rigid band for the stock flex band, as was told this would fix the problem. Yup ....for a while.
Finally Found a guy at the track that raced super com with a 727 behind a B1 big block. he did rebuilds, on the side, and had him rebuild my first, now spare, 727. put a turbo action rev manual shift valve body in it. don't know what else he did to it internally BUT!!!
That transmission started out in the RV 340 and is now living strong behind my 408.
Thats some 25+ year of abuse and still running strong. I know that it didn't get any of them expensive parts like a forged or alu drum because it was $150 plus the valve body.

For those that rebuild transmissions, it was partly my kickdown linkage(2 barral to 4 barral) which was totally eliminated with a manual shift valve body 2nt and most of the problem is that i'm kind of a auto transmission hatter. I NEVER, let it shift by itself. EVER!
So in low 1 you have the rev.(Reverse) band applied and the timing of releasing the rev ban and applying 2nt gear/band was alway off(you could fill it) and smoked the 2nt gear band. Manual valve body eliminates the rev band apply(no decel in 1st gear) Now i have no choice:thankyou: but to decide which gear to select. COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!

So will i ever build another transmission????? not unless Gordon Turner is too old to rebuild this one, when it fails!:poke::D
Yes they make manual shift valve bodies with or without rev. band lock out. I have never had a better 1-2 shift then when i got rid of that pesky low/rev. band mod :elmer::elmer::elmer:when i make enough power to brake the sparage by launching my car(never going to have that kind of money) then i might consider it. but the 1-2 shift will not be as crisp, and no one will convince me other wise.
Sounds like your throttle linkage was not adjusted correctly so when the second gear band came on, the line pressure was too low and you kept slipping the band. They do require occasional adjustment but not that often. When you switched to a manual shift valve body it fixed your problem with a line pressure increase and eliminated your throttle valve issue.
To get a clean 1-2 shift with a band on valve body you also need a better solid reverse servo such as the A&A that also increases the release spring pressure to get the band off quickly.

Isn't the line pressure adjustment Just in that bracket on the valve body next to the pressure valve itself? I was wondering how those effects without the shift kit would be? Like when I did a stage 3 on a 904 there was a few different adjustments for that line pressure.

Sounds like your throttle linkage was not adjusted correctly so when the second gear band came on, the line pressure was too low and you kept slipping the band. They do require occasional adjustment but not that often. When you switched to a manual shift valve body it fixed your problem with a line pressure increase and eliminated your throttle valve issue.
To get a clean 1-2 shift with a band on valve body you also need a better solid reverse servo such as the A&A that also increases the release spring pressure to get the band off quickly.

Like a said the linkage was not right but close. Could get it to shift just fine if i left it in drive(Hate the way it shifted) but when i put it into lo and shift into 2nt the timing sucked!!! Remember this was 25+ year ago, I'm sure they have made Great improvement in it sence then. Even if i decide to go with a trac brake, it would still be a rev. manual shift. If i decided to make it a street only car, i would still use a manual shift valve body. I hate letting an auto being in charge of the shifts. I remember something about drilling out the servo drain to help as well.......just don't care much sence i got what i wanted. total control of an auto. win win for me.:)

Now I think I can quickly jump in on the 727 bandwagon here because I do want to trade in my Nissan pickup for a 74 or older full-size pickup and I want it to be an automatic because it will be my daily driver. I can't imagine wanting anything but a 727 in a truck? again it being under probably a more constant higher weight load in all circumstances. And under those circumstances I would probably want the beefier 727 where weight isn't going to be a thing or anything like that too.
LOL my car weighs 3880 with my fat as in it!

I tell you what that transgo stage 3 full manual shift kit it shifted so crisp. You know when you give a buddy a ride and you manually shift the ratchet shifter on the automatic and he instantly looks at you like "that was crisp!" but not banging. You're yeah I know bad *** right?
Of course that's drilling it full of holes like swiss cheese recapping some off, throwing ball bearings out, putting some in, changing a couple Springs, and adjusting some line pressure no big deal...

Someone was talking about the 904 and it cracking converter hubs..........I know this is a fact! What i didn't know was that the pump? was shaving to converter???????

Could someone explain that a little bit more?
I know that they crack but thought it was an aftermarket hub that was stronger that fix it. ???????????????

All this talk about the 727 exploding drum, while true is really over blown. ALL you need to do is do your burnout starting in first, REMAIN in the bleach box and KEEP SPINNING shifting into second. Problem solved. You'll never explode a drum with a stone stock 727.

Pretty simple.

-
Back