727 or 904?

-
I run a 904, usually get 4 seasons (600 passes) out of it before it wears out the clutches. I also run a 2.77 first gear.

Lisa 11-29-15_zps0yedo5nu.jpg

When I ponder on that 904 I think to myself... Is there any way possible any part would fit in the wrong spot? I mean could someone take a 904 and put it 100% back together using all the parts and it be wrong? I mean you can extremely easily air check most your new seals before you even load it in the housing and you can do it then again before you put the vb in? I guess you could do something colossally stupid like put two clutch disc's and two steels together by accident, but no one is that stupid. Non of the servos (3) would fit correctly if each one didn't have all its parts? Am I not living proof that rebuilding a 904 is near foolproof? Not absolutely one special tool required at all. Unless of course a piece of angle iron cut to put in your Vice to take out the clutch pack spring but that's the easiest redneck tool I ever made. Oh yeah I have that whole I need a big massive clean area to do this all on? I found that a 2 foot by 8 foot sheet of plywood with a couple stools under either end was way more room than needed. You have absolutely nothing to lose by opening up a 904. If you don't get all the parts back together and you take it to professional and he can't figure out where things go than you've got the wrong guy definitely. All this comes up when I think about that completely disassembled 904 in my shed again and I think is there a possible way I could bring that all out and put it together wrong? I don't think so.....

I use 3 small C clamps and had to thread the snap ring thru them, to take a part, and install. Like your tool much better!!!

Well for the purpose of this thread and since it was said I better post a picture of that little Jewel. I can't believe some of the contraptions I've seen on YouTube videos and how much they want for some of the stuff on the internet that gets that stupid snap ring off. I think I scratch my head for about a half hour and thought hey what if I just put it in my vice sideways with it piece of metal pushing against it? It took me about five minutes of scrounging through my scrap metal to find this one and a half inch wide slice of a 1 and 1/2 by 3 in. piece of c bar. You can see where I had to give it a little whack in the center when I set it on the ground to make it just the right size. But obviously this could all be caught reading my thread on how to rebuild one of these. Just simple parts replacement take it out put it back the same way LOL it's not difficult like fabricating something.
20171120_182049.jpg
20171120_182043.jpg
20171120_182029.jpg
20171120_182018.jpg

I use 3 small C clamps and had to thread the snap ring thru them, to take a part, and install. Like your tool much better!!!

When I called for a stock rebuild on a 904 the one shop that wanted me to drop the car off and pick it up said $1900. One shop that said dropped the transmission off on their bench and pick it up off the bench $900.
$104 for rebuild kit. $92 for transgo (mr.shift)shift kit. And an hour or two of spare time here and there and done in a week or two. Just think about how long some of you guys have waited to have your motor bilt. Since like triple-R said we have to have internet here and now we start hearing all this stuff. I'd like to have all the transmission guys chime in and tell us how many times they have heard of some home job do it yourself guy messing up a 904 and then bring it to them to fix it? I still say it would be hard to get it wrong.

When I called for a stock rebuild on a 904 the one shop that wanted me to drop the car off and pick it up said $1900. One shop that said dropped the transmission off on their bench and pick it up off the bench $900.
$104 for rebuild kit. $92 for transgo (mr.shift)shift kit. And an hour or two of spare time here and there and done in a week or two. Just think about how long some of you guys have waited to have your motor bilt. Since like triple-R said we have to have internet here and now we start hearing all this stuff. I'd like to have all the transmission guys chime in and tell us how many times they have heard of some home job do it yourself guy messing up a 904 and then bring it to them to fix it? I still say it would be hard to get it wrong.

Over a couple of month I was able to find the Factory tools on ebay for sale....29 bucks for the front drum compression tool...full set of drivers for the bushings....and so on...
I had a friend who made his own tool...and J par shows it is not rocket science.

Ok, I don't need either of those.
I was just reading about how gear 'overlap' is hard on them... I guess a decent shift kit takes care of that?
Thanks
Yep. If I understand what you mean by "overlap", the "overlap" is there to soften the shift. Softening of the shift is done by more slowly actuating what causes the shift. A shift kit generally causes the actuating mechanisms to "snap" into position instead of sliding (kinda like slipping a clutch). Make sure you get good U-joints!

-
Back