727 poly engine transmission

-

38 Dodge

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a 727 transmission from a 318 poly engine will fit on a later model small block engine?

I thought the poly engine was a wider block then the later model blocks

there are only two versions of the 727. small block and big block configurations. the poly head 318 is not a big block and i would agree that it will work.

What about the converter register size? Any torqueflite older than 68 is the small register I believe. If your engine is post 67 you'll need an adapter or have a special torque converter made.

4 Versions actually

The 727 was also used behind a 6-Cylinder Mitsubishi Diesel in 1978 and 1979 in the Dodge Trucks. Very rare, but they're out there. The A833 & NP435/NP445 were more common though.

Most people probably didn't know that, and will probably go an entire lifetime without ever seeing one of those trucks with the Mitsu 6 Diesel in it.

now that i think about it , i believe there was an amc/jeep version or two as well. i should do that more often lol

:toothy7:Lets not forget this version of the 727:toothy7:

Attachments

• boeing-727-ex.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 469
Does anyone know if a 727 transmission from a 318 poly engine will fit on a later model small block engine?
The answer is, Yes, with reservations and/or modifications. It will depend on the years of the parts involved. The bell housing bolt pattern is the same. All the 727's that came behind a poly are the one-pin neutral safety type so if you need back-up lights, you'll have to figure something else out to operate them. The '64 and older 727's use the ball and trunion U-joints which are not a desireable setup. The '65 and older 727's are all cable shift which is also not the best, and without major mods, can't be used with the later linkage type shifters. As for the crank register, the only small block engine it won't bolt to would be the '64-7 273 with the stock crank.

Cudamark,
Thanks for the info, I'm planning on using it behind my 241 Hemi and installing it into my 62 Wagon and I wanted to try and keep the push buttom option that is already in my wagon.

I'll some additional confusion to this thread...

You must keep in mind the change in the block and crank design for the '62 model year. The big issue with this is that both early and late designs have been found in '62 models...left over inventory I assume.

The beauty of this, especially since you are using a 241 Hemi, is that a pre-62 trans (possibly even the one in your wagon!) is a direct bolt-up to the EarlyHemi.

There was also a version of the 727 used by International in the Scout.

Let us not forget Jenson Interceptors also used 727’s behind Chrysler’s 383 & 440 big blocks.

I'm resurrecting this old thread cause I'm curious about something. There is a '66 with a 318 poly and auto that I'm kind of interested in. I'm not a fan of the poly motor, and if I went for it I would probably replace it at some point with an econo-build small-block like in this Moparts forum http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3944014&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

I don't know what model auto trans came behind poly 318's in '66 - 727 maybe? Is the bellhousing bolt pattern and overall dimensions of the trans behind the '66 poly 318 the same as the one behind a '66 273? So if I am reading the previous posts in this thread correctly, it sounds like a econo-build LA or Magnum small-block would bolt right up to the '66 poly 318 trans that is already in the car - does that sound right?

In the interest of squeezing the max economy out of the car I would eventually replace the existing trans with a 904 or a newer one with a lock-up converter and overdrive. The upgrades would have to be done in stages though as my budget allows so that's the reason I'm curious if a newer engine would bolt up to the poly 318's existing transmission. Thanks for your help.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3944014&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

.............The 66 727 will bolt up to the 273, but the converter snout is too big for the 64-66 273 crank flange register, so its a no go unless a 67 crank is swapped in........ur 273 would have a 904 behind it........the 66 727 has a very low stall converter...I replace the front input shaft for a 67-70 input shaft, that way u can use any 67-86 non lock up converter in it, or ofcource u could swap in the lock up parts and use a lu verter....kim.......

The poly tranny will interchange with newer small blocks, I've done it! I also have put a 4-speed behind a poly out of an A-body, worked awesome!!

That was fast - thanks guys!

So if I understand your responses correctly, the '66 poly 318 had a 727 with a low-stall converter behind it right?

So any LA or Magnum small block except the '64-'66 273 should bolt right up to the existing '66 trans that is already in the car? So the '64-'66 273 besides having the heads and intake manifold with the exclusive canted intake manifold bolts also had a small register crank? Ok, good thing there are not too many of those motors out there floating around anymore.

All good stuff to know. Thanks again guys!

Yes, I removed a 66' 727 PN 2538333 from a police car, and Installed it behind my 68' 340 Engine, and the higher stall torque converter mentioned by oldkimmer. The 67' 2801542 fit the old Poly as well.

Someone above mentioned "wide block." I wish to 'ell people would stop calling the polysphere engines "wide blocks." They are essentially a "small" block. Only thing wide about 'em is the heads.

Sorta like putting hemi heads on a 440, because the 426 hemi shares design features of the RB, as does the LA share features of the poly blocks.

If you strip down a poly to the block you have to know what you are looking for to tell the difference.

I used to hear people refer to the poly 318 as the big bock 318. If it has a 727 with small block bolt pattern, why did they call it the "big block 318?"

-
Back