727 poly engine transmission

-
Back in the day people referred to the poly engine as a wide block because they looked wide. The first modern A poly engine went into a 55 Chrysler @ 303cu.inch, the Desoto in 56' and then the 56' Plymouth 277 cubic inch 180HP engine. That engine was bumped to 318 for 58' in the Plymouth, and the dodge version went to 325 in 57', both as a hemi and poly. (different bore and stroke than Plymouth) they weren't the same engine. Back then Chrysler, desoto, and dodge Made their engines in either hemi or poly head, but no hemi head for Plymouth. It would be too much to go into here to describe them all. leave it to say by 1959 the Plymouth engine survived. So yes the early engine has the same transmission bolt pattern and crank hole etc as the LA 67 up 318/340/360 engine.(exclude 64-66 273) In 1960 both dodge and Plymouth used the same 318 engine. Chrysler went to the BB/RB engines by 59. I could put the 66' poly in my 56' and motor on if needed. Sorry to drone on,,,

They are just like the early Hemi. They have the same bellhousing bolt pattern, but the dowel pins are in different locations, so the correct answer is no, you cannot use a poly 727 against a small block as they come. You have to make modifications.

The 66' alignment pins on mine are in the same locations as the newer 67', just as the driveshafts interchange as well. 66's transitioned to tail splines, and also relocated the dowel pin location. They were on the same assembly line with the newer models. Now, my 727 64' push button torqueflite did hooked up to my A Motor 56', because those dowel pins are the same. That is true.

727 was also used in Iveco trucks in the 80's. The 318 poly engine crankshaft flange changed I think in 61 or 62 to the modern style like the LA engine has. Also the poly engine was called an A engine.

Brian

I used to hear people refer to the poly 318 as the big bock 318. If it has a 727 with small block bolt pattern, why did they call it the "big block 318?"
Because, after they got beat at the drag strip, the Chevy guys looked at those big heads and just assumed they got beat by a big block of some sort!

The 66' alignment pins on mine are in the same locations as the newer 67', just as the driveshafts interchange as well. 66's transitioned to tail splines, and also relocated the dowel pin location. They were on the same assembly line with the newer models. Now, my 727 64' push button torqueflite did hooked up to my A Motor 56', because those dowel pins are the same. That is true.

I know for sho and for certain the early Hemi bellhousing pattern is the same as a small block and the locating dowels are at different locations. I have a 331 Hemi hangin on the engine stand less than 100' away. I took for granted that the poly motors were the same, since they are the same with a lot of other things. You can put Hemi heads right on to an early poly engine. It's a bolt on swap. But getting back to the bellhousing bolt pattern. Thinking about it, the Hemi is probably the odd man out, because right from the factory, they all had adapter plates unless they were a manual transmission.

The Chrysler 331-354-392 was considered a BB Hemi,(crank below the block) and was a different family then the Desoto, Dodge hemi/poly, or The 56' Plymouth A engine, which was the first A engine, the grandpa of the newer 318 poly engine. Chrysler had three families of engines. Chrysler, Desoto, and Plymouth dodge. as the dodge was a short stroke big bore design,(hence the term small block hemi) Desoto was pretty much a square engine,(optional as hemi) , and Chrysler was a long stroke, smaller bore design.(Hemi only) The top end of an BB Chrysler Hemi is to the dodge what a 440 is to a 360.The Chrysler, Desoto, and dodge hemi and poly engines disappeared for 1959. then the BB and RB showed up. The 56' poly increased in size to the 318 for the Plymouth, and for dodge it was a bored out 326 for one year. Then, in 1960 the 318 engine was the staple for dodge and Plymouth thru 66.

There is so much, in some of the above posts, that is just plain WRONG, that I hardly know where to start.

Since this forum is focused on A-bodies and the attendant engines, please don't venture into the wacky world of the EarlyHemi unless you actually know what the hell you are talking about.

55 Chrysler 303 ?
BB Hemi ?
56 DeSoto with an A engine?

And, surprise, surprise, the pre-62 A engine is NOT the same as post-62 A engine...the bellhousing bolt pattern and the crank are different, as in, NOT THE SAME.......

And, for those who have an interest in the Poly 318, I strongly urge you to do some research...Chrysler Power Magazine is a good place to start.

There is so much, in some of the above posts, that is just plain WRONG, that I hardly know where to start.

Since this forum is focused on A-bodies and the attendant engines, please don't venture into the wacky world of the EarlyHemi unless you actually know what the hell you are talking about.

55 Chrysler 303 ?
BB Hemi ?
56 DeSoto with an A engine?

And, surprise, surprise, the pre-62 A engine is NOT the same as post-62 A engine...the bellhousing bolt pattern and the crank are different, as in, NOT THE SAME.......

And, for those who have an interest in the Poly 318, I strongly urge you to do some research...Chrysler Power Magazine is a good place to start.

Ouch! Think I opened Pandora's box when I resurrected this thread! All I wanted to know was if an LA (other than the '64-'66 273) or Magnum engine would bolt up to a '66 A engine (318 poly) automatic transmission. Got my answer, so it's all good.

There is also a strong poly forum online as well.

we only cared about the trans Interchange. So what if this happens to be an A body site? The gentleman asked a question. I could mention even more engines, but why? Yes I had a Chrysler 303 55' and yes the newer trans works, sorry. I/ve only owned them for 40 years. my nephew recently put a 71'340 in a 60' dodge truck using the had the original 318 and four speed. He used the original bell housing and flywheel. Clear as day, maybe you should work on presenting a little more civil post.

Ouch! Think I opened Pandora's box when I resurrected this thread! All I wanted to know was if an LA (other than the '64-'66 273) or Magnum engine would bolt up to a '66 A engine (318 poly) automatic transmission. Got my answer, so it's all good.
And that is good, and all that matters. and I drive what I work on.
55' Desoto with Chrysler spitfire engine installed
40 Plymouth coupe
55 Savoy Flathead
56 Savoy with first A engine 277 cubic inch.
Disc brakes,vintage A/C, single wire alternator(GM)
Balanced and blueprinted rock solid 180 HP engine.
original early 70's 15x6 Cragers
Everyday Driver.

Attachments

• P5300004.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 209
  • PC290154.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 193
  • P1120495.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 223
  • P1010452.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 200
we only cared about the trans Interchange. So what if this happens to be an A body site? The gentleman asked a question. I could mention even more engines, but why? Yes I had a Chrysler 303 55' and yes the newer trans works, sorry. I/ve only owned them for 40 years. my nephew recently put a 71'340 in a 60' dodge truck using the had the original 318 and four speed. He used the original bell housing and flywheel. Clear as day, maybe you should work on presenting a little more civil post.

If I seem a bit 'uncivil', then it comes from seeing so much bogus info on the web that gets passed as fact...as to the engine info you present, in oem form it simply never happened... The 303 was a Canadian PLYMOUTH engine, same as the 313. No, the post 62 trans is not a direct bolt up, it requires an adapter. These are the facts, not some memory from high-school.

And if the question was only regarding the trans then why did you clutter the thread with such bogus info?
Yes, many of the pre-62 engines swap around quite nicely, but don't pretend that they came from the factory that way and confuse folks.

again, what is it to you how much info is in a post anyway, do you own the site? Bogus? not likely. I saw the truck, it runs and drives. the dodge had a 318 210HP engine not a canadian built 303. regarding the last post, I meant to say 301, the Chrysler engine. my Desoto hemi went bad, so the spitfire engine was used in it's place. And if you noticed, or maybe you were asleep, I never referred to Chrysler or Desoto engines here, Only the Plymouth. By the way, Last I checked, my Plymouth is in my garage right now, not a high school memory. Also, I checked your link, and they refer to the Chrysler 331 engine and flat head. Which is accurate Information. Clearly you appear to have never worked much on Mopars, So, I will forgive your Ignorance. Also, if you took the time to read from the beginning, you would have noticed My original answer." I put my 66' poly trans behind my 340". period.

I won't quote all of your posts so you can go back and change all of the mis-information. You said 303, not me. If you meant the Spitfire 301 then that is what you should have said.

I made NO reference to your truck.

You did refer to the Chrysler and DeSoto, and I quote "The first modern A poly engine went into a 55 Chrysler @ 303cu.inch, the Desoto in 56'..."
...and the Spitfire is most definitely NOT an A series engine.

Yeah, I'm done. I just hope you don't try to pass on all of your 'knowledge' to some of the youngins.

I think it will. I was incorrect about the dowel pins. The early hemi is what is different. My apologies.

thanks Rustyratrod, you are a good man. I like your posts, and I can tell you care that the other FABO members get the Information they ask for that will help them. I never questioned what you said, as you wanted to say the correct thing. And, I'm not perfect, and never said I was. and I try to help the younger enthusiasts here, apparently despite my ignorance. If I make mistakes, show me in the manual, and if I can see it in a manual, I'll swallow the error of my ways. I own these cars , drive these cars, and restore 50's and 60's cars. I don't feel a need to justify my knowledge here. the other post, however, obviously doesn't care about the other people here, has shown no respect for the other members, was rude, condescending, and arrogant. I could degrade him , but the FABO post isn't here to do that, I assume. my fault was listening to him in the first place. My last question is, as the other post acknowledged, if that 340 fit in that 60' truck,what else fits? In the end of the day, I will start my non-existant A engine 56' savoy with my non existant 64' torqueflite, with the 1970 Duster 8 3/4 rear end to the local Fort Calhoun bar and have a Beer.

-
Back