727 speedometer gear

-
Look at the post dates and names Dave. This might be an all time record. Brought back a 7-1/4 year old thread from the dead, LOL

I've been on boards for a long time....why does it matter how old the thread is......is it an IT issue? That way the people in that thread may already now the answer to the question that has resurrected the post in the first place ......I don't know....just seems weird why people get there panties in a wad over stuff.

If a question that the person is looking for is relevant to the post why not instead of starting a new thread? When I look up something on google.....it bring up threads that are close to what I'm seeking the answer to....then ya I post to it.....I don't even notice how old it it. I don't care.....please admins educate me here. I'll quit doing it.....I'm just trying to make sense of it.

I got no problem with resurrections.
If nothing else, it proves people are still searching for answers.
In this case it shows you were doing your due-diligence. Unfortunately the charts and lists don't seem to differentiate from the old-style gears to the new-style gears.
I my limited shopping experience, the PNs of the new-style 67up gears do not start with 25xxxxxx

I've been on boards for a long time....why does it matter how old the thread is......is it an IT issue? That way the people in that thread may already now the answer to the question that has resurrected the post in the first place ......I don't know....just seems weird why people get there panties in a wad over stuff.

If a question that the person is looking for is relevant to the post why not instead of starting a new thread? When I look up something on google.....it bring up threads that are close to what I'm seeking the answer to....then ya I post to it.....I don't even notice how old it it. I don't care.....please admins educate me here. I'll quit doing it.....I'm just trying to make sense of it.
Wow. I said that over 2 yrs. ago. Why didn't you say something then??? If you would have read and quoted my post right above that one you'd have seen I recommended starting a new thread. For one reason some people scan the threads and if they have seen multiple answers they don't post to it. I know I don't. Another reason is they guy who resurrected it was posting a want ad! Nothing at all to do with the OP's question

When I do the calculating I show you need a 35 tooth (orange) gear. I used a measurement of 26.57" for your 245/60-15 tire. Plus it is best to have your speedometer to read a little fast than a little slow for obvious reasons. When you find one I would be interested in your 29 tooth gear. It is the one I need for my '74 D200.

Chuck
I have been having the same issue with my speedo showing faster than my GPS. I read your post about measuring the tire size as I'm running the same tire as the OP 245/60/15's. I'm running 32psi in the tires and I took a measurement to the center of the wheel X2 and I come up with 25". So the chart shows I should run a 40 gear which I had in there and she read 5 mph fast, so should I go to a 42 tooth gear ? I went to a 38 as someone suggested and now I'm 10 mph fast on the speedometer to my GPS.

I have been having the same issue with my speedo showing faster than my GPS. I read your post about measuring the tire size as I'm running the same tire as the OP 245/60/15's. I'm running 32psi in the tires and I took a measurement to the center of the wheel X2 and I come up with 25". So the chart shows I should run a 40 gear which I had in there and she read 5 mph fast, so should I go to a 42 tooth gear ? I went to a 38 as someone suggested and now I'm 10 mph fast on the speedometer to my GPS.
Very often the tape measure on the diameter does not work out. For greater accuracy , you need to measure the circumference. Many times the pinions will only get you within 3% of perfect; either over or under.

As an example if you measured your tire as you say, then the circumference is 2x12.5 x 3.1416=78.54
But if you were off by a mere quarter of an inch and the half-diameter was really 12.25, then 2x12.25x3.1416=76.97.
This is an error of 1.57 " or 2.0%
But the easiest method of all is to figure your exact error in percent, and to then change your pinion by that exact amount. As an example; if your out by 5 mph at 60 mph, that is an error of 5/60=8.33%, so you will need an 8.33% change in tooth count. If your speed-O is fast , you will want to slow it down. That takes more teeth , so if you had a 40 tooth pinion, you would add 40 plus 8.33% = 40x1.0833=43.3 teeth
But another question is; how do you know the GPS is correct, and what might be the error in it?
But the final question is this; if the GPS knows where you are and your direction of travel, and rate of speed, and knows who you are and where you live.......... who else has that information and what can they do with it? Just wait until you start getting speeding tickets in the mail that say something like; "your phone was recorded Northbound on hiway 66 on June 10, 2018, doing 68.5 mph. You have been assessed a fine of $148. Please send your payment within 10 business days, or we will send someone to get it, which will make it very expensive. You will not receive a second notice."
But, you say, I'll just turn it off. To that I reply; how do you know off really turns the GPS off?
How do we really know anything anymore?
But I digress,lol.
Anyway; look on the chart where 43.3 teeth falls, with a 25" tire.
The chart runs on the inch. So if you have a 24.5 or a 25.5 tire, you might think the same pinion will work for all? Not hardly. That is a variation of plus or minus 2%, and that the leads to fine tuning from 42 to 44 teeth, not including your possible error in diametrical measuring.
If you go to the line where you fit in, namely 4.10s, and follow along how the pinions change with each tire size. Notice that sometimes, with the smaller tires, the pinion counts change by 2, and at other times by just 1. That is because of rounding during the creation of the chart. Notice on either side of you, the chart jumps by 2 teeth. So depending on where your diameter exactly falls, you might require 1 tooth higher or lower. Isn't this fun?
But the percent method on a known error with a known pinion, is dead nuts accurate.
speedochart.jpg

Last edited:
If your speedometer reads "65" and the GPS says "60", then you're reading 8.3% high (65/60=1.083). So 1.083 x 40 tooth = 43 tooth. The 43 tooth will probably be the closest. I just re-read AJ/FormS's post above, and we are both using the same logic. This is the most accurate way to "calibrate" your speedometer. Basically trial and error.

Great Info Guys! Thank You! I'm changing to 3:55's and 17" wheels, not sure what that will do to the speed-o, but this post "back from the dead" gave me an "oh crap i need a new speed-o gear" moment! I assume they're pretty easy to change? need to do some home work...

Yeah their easy to change. What I do is jack the car up from the rear axle as high as I can get it and put stands under the axle. Jacking it up this way causes the ATF to run forward so none (or a very minor amount) only spills out when removing the gear housing. Clean the area around the gear housing good with brake or carb cleaner and take note of the 3 sets of numbers on the housing. There's a little raised tab near each set of numbers that has to be aligned with a raised tab on the extension housing at the bottom. For example, if you are installing a 34 tooth gear you'll want the tab by the numbers 34-38 aligned. Here's a picture that shows you what I'm talking about. You might also want to change the seals on the adapter while you at it because even if their not leaking now R&R'ing them might cause a leak. You should be able to get them at your local NAPA but if you have problems finding them PM me and I'll send you some

Torqueflite speedo adaptor.jpg

Yeah their easy to change. What I do is jack the car up from the rear axle as high as I can get it and put stands under the axle. Jacking it up this way causes the ATF to run forward so none (or a very minor amount) only spills out when removing the gear housing. Clean the area around the gear housing good with brake or carb cleaner and take note of the 3 sets of numbers on the housing. There's a little raised tab near each set of numbers that has to be aligned with a raised tab on the extension housing at the bottom. For example, if you are installing a 34 tooth gear you'll want the tab by the numbers 34-38 aligned. Here's a picture that shows you what I'm talking about. You might also want to change the seals on the adapter while you at it because even if their not leaking now R&R'ing them might cause a leak. You should be able to get them at your local NAPA but if you have problems finding them PM me and I'll send you some

View attachment 1715286459
Thank you Fishy68!

-
Back