73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
There is always powder coating.

I actually have considered painting the entire engine in some shade of Aluminum or silver. Now that I have the valve covers back I can finish my V/C 1" spacers...more on that later, I showed Mark a picture at the Nats of the CAD drawing but we were both feeling no pain so he might not remember .

I actually have considered painting the entire engine in some shade of Aluminum or silver. Now that I have the valve covers back I can finish my V/C 1" spacers...more on that later, I showed Mark a picture at the Nats of the CAD drawing but we were both feeling no pain so he might not remember .

I dont remeber anything from the Nats! LOL

Thanks Joe,
It looks like I will have several questions for the local Anodizing company before I let him loose on these Bad Boys...When I took the Timing/motor mount piece to him he asked me if it was Cast or billet... Tony at Mirror finishing polishing has a oxidation minimizing coating option service for $23.00 per cover ..maybe I should have gone that route.

I wonder what his oxidation minimizing coating is, $23.00 sounds pretty cheap, most anodizers have a $60.00-$100.00.

Best of luck with what you decide.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

No worries. He got 1 m out of 2 so the brain cell that stores the letter m is still half alive and may recover

I wonder what his oxidation minimizing coating is, $23.00 sounds pretty cheap, most anodizers have a $60.00-$100.00.

Best of luck with what you decide.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Tony @ Mirror Finish Polishing told me I wouldn't have to polish them as often and it would also help protect the finish from oils, fuel and other chemicals. It soulded to me like a hand applied coating... like a wax or something but since I was going to have them anodized I wasn't really interested in a "Polish As Often" coating, I want to never polish them.

So I go to work on the Motor today and notice my dad hanging out in the driveway with a Goat, I asked "who's goat" ? He sald he doesn't know, it was just walking around the front yard.......Then I go in the Garage and notice a brand New Dodge Ram 1500 R/T, I guess I should visit a little more, funny what happens when you stay away for a week or so. Anyway, here's a couple pic's of the Valve covers in place and the turn signals installed in the grille. Enjoy the Pics and Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• duster 001.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,332
  • duster 037.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 697
  • duster 036.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 667
  • duster 034.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 665
  • duster 023.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 679
  • duster 026.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,187
  • duster 010.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 693
  • duster 033.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 676
  • duster 002.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 681
If it's a Goat question you better ask Tod.

attachment.php

Is there a hitch on that baby?
The 2006 Ram TRX only had a 4.7 and didn't pull that well on the bigger hills so the main purpose of the new truck is to upgrade the towing so Yes its definatley got a tow hitch and built in brake control.

So they ask Hamish if he's ever had sex with a ghost and he says, "Aye." "Really?" Asks the interviewer, "you've had sex with a ghost?" "Oh, Ghost, I thought you said Goat." Said Hamish.

I'll be here all week.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

PS, that motor looks beautiful.

I like the irony, new Goat in the driveway and a new Ram in the garage.
Tod, you notice how the Ram is obviously faster than the Goat.

Today I went to check on the Duster and do some mock up and test fitting and now decided to remake my radiator cover panel, the new one will be much wider and overall fill the front of the engine compartment up (see post 1000, page 40) also decided to modify the Hotchkis hood ring, I decided to fill the countersunk screw holes and hide all the attaching hardware also remove the Hotchkis name, I'm also gonna make a couple billet bushings to surround the 1/2" hood pin so when the hoods up the drilled hole will have a nice finished look to the bottom side. I like the way the car is coming together, the hood fits perfect, notice the nice even gaps. I have to modify some breathers for the Valve covers that will fit in between inside(toward intake) side and Fuel Rail so I can keep the Valve Cover top nice and clean with no holes in them. I also came to realization today that I think I need Mental help....I just can't bolt anything on the way it's intended or leave anything stock...I mean modifying hood pins... seriously.

Attachments

• duster 024.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 618
  • duster 023.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 612
  • duster 022.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 630
  • duster 020.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 619
  • duster 019.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 614
  • duster 018.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 607
  • duster 017.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 626
  • duster 016.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 643
Mark,
I ran the idea of the big Duster change we discused by Tom (the painter) today...he liked it. I just have to mentally justify it, but I'm almost there.

I managed to get one Valve cover spacer done and did a test fit with it on the motor to see what adjustments are needed, I need to shave it in the corners a little but the rest is spot on and lines up perfectly. This spacer gives the Valve Cover a 2" lift and makes it possible to squeeze the Offenhauser side breather in next to the Fuel rail,everything is tight and compact but it clears and keeps the Valve Cover nice and clear, I can use one breather for a Oil fill and fit a PCV in the other. Keep in mind I have to sand it to fit and and polish it and probally Permanently bond the two together but once assembled it will look like like a 1 piece Valve cover on Steroids, I was originally make the spacer out of 1" aluminum but would have to figure out something different for the Offy Breathers. I also started to modify the hood pins I took 1" off the 1/2" threaded rod so they fit the car correctly and made the bushings for the underside of the hood for cosmetic reasons.... I filled the countersunk screw holes with flush rivets to smooth the tops off. I think having the valve covers the same height as the top of the Throttle bodies is kinda cool.

Attachments

• duster 035.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 578
  • duster 033.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 559
  • duster 031.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,080
  • duster 029.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 563
  • duster 028.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 552
  • duster 024.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 577
  • duster 023.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 555
  • duster 021.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 560
  • duster 020.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 564
  • duster 037.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 560
Wow.....It's gonna look like some kind of big block!

Too bad you aren't here. Just had a big dinner with HemiDenny,
HemiMark, Donnie, Weeb and Mark (Bout) - Denny's painter.
Jim wasn't here but his truck, trailer and Hemi Demon were.

It's part of the Ohio - PA parts and vehicle shuffle. Mark and Don
dropped off Jim's Demon for updates and they will be bringing Mark's
in-process '68 Dart home to Pittsburg in the morning.

-
Back