73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
That's what I'm talking about. getting the extra room for the coilovers is a great idea. I have to have a gas tank cut on both sides to fit it with the coilovers. Very nice. :thumblef:

Love that usefull rear trac measuring tool. Simplicity and function at their best.

BTW....Denny's BFG's measure 29.75" tall mounted and inflated.

I hope you have enough wheelwell length for tire growth at speed.

Ross.....I like your thinkin' and your follow thru completeion.....it's one thing to think it...but your execution is outstanging....very impressive!!

is that enough fluff from me for a while?

Love that usefull rear trac measuring tool. Simplicity and function at their best.

BTW....Denny's BFG's measure 29.75" tall mounted and inflated.

I hope you have enough wheelwell length for tire growth at speed.

Once I get the rear end and suspension mounted I'm gonna check the clearance again right now I have about 1" front and 1" rear. If I need to I'll open the wheel well a little before it goes to a body guy, if I can find one, thats really not my strong area, of course none of this really is...kinda learn as I go and hope I dont F-up to bad...the trac tool is made from an old load lock bar my dad had left over from his truck driving days.

Ross.....I like your thinkin' and your follow thru completeion.....it's one thing to think it...but your execution is outstanging....very impressive!!

is that enough fluff from me for a while?

Wow, I owe ya a beer or two at the Nats for comments like that ....sorry no candle lite dinner though.

Okay after a couple Rum & Diet Cherry Coke's (great combo) yesterday I was looking at my progress so far and thinking about future endeavor's, I am going to attempt to hide the wiper motor by flattening the current firewall motor "notch" and adding a new "mini" dodge motor to the inside of the firewall, I don't thing it will be all that tough to do but since there's all these "thinking outside the box" members watching the build, I figure I would ask if anyone has done or seen this before......I know there will be some fabrication of brackets and some re-wiring but any other help or ideas would be greatly appreciated....

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,134
  • I_281969_CL_1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 2,201
  • !Bzjfo+gBWk~$(KGrHqMOKnIEw9P29L58BMWhuroghg~~_12.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 2,171
Seen it done and doing it myself with an LX motor. I don't have pics here but when I get home I'll see if I can hunt them up. There was a guy on BBD that did it in his Dart, you may want to do a search over there. Came out great. I just need to figure out how to wire up the delay...

Oh my goodness, I was planning to hit up the local wreckers for the same wiper motor and brackets and such. LOL, great minds think alike. I think rjste(sp?) did this in his Demon build.

If you make brackets using that waterjet, would you be interested in making another set?

Great work!

Riddler

Oh my goodness, I was planning to hit up the local wreckers for the same wiper motor and brackets and such. LOL, great minds think alike. I think rjste(sp?) did this in his Demon build.

If you make brackets using that waterjet, would you be interested in making another set?

Great work!

Riddler

I just sent rjsjea a pm asking for better pics and help ...funny you should mention that. Also I have no problem making a couple extra brackets on the waterjet. I'll keep ya posted. Although my main focus is the rear suspension right now I like to jump around while I'm waiting for parts to come in, if your cruising junk yards looking for a wiper motor I'm still looking for a Challenger fuel section like yours in case you come across one..... theres none around here, I keep checking........

Sounds good and it's a deal. From what I've read, the charger and 300 fuel door openings might be the same. Maybe I'll take my door to a yard and trying fitting it and checking for you.

If you get those pic from rjsjea, want to forward them on or post them?

Riddler

Don't know if you plan to shave the firewall and put the wiper motor under the dash (sorry, don't have time to go back and look), but I found out a while ago that later FJM bodies used a plate bolted to the wiper motor that would bolt up to a minivan wiper motor (little tiny thing) and bolt to the factory opening in the firewall on an A-Body.

Hope that made sense.

The mounting plate bolted to the wiper motor on the Diplomat setup that I grabbed. Just had to dig the bolts out from under the rubber gasket they glue over the hole plate to seal it to the cowl. Don't remember how the minivan wiper motor bolted to the mounting plate, but seems like it was easier to get apart than the Diplomat one.

Just a thought.

dion:
have any pictures? any tips on the wiring? id love to have intermittent/mist wipers setup on my duster.

Don't know if you plan to shave the firewall and put the wiper motor under the dash (sorry, don't have time to go back and look), but I found out a while ago that later FJM bodies used a plate bolted to the wiper motor that would bolt up to a minivan wiper motor (little tiny thing) and bolt to the factory opening in the firewall on an A-Body.

Hope that made sense.

The mounting plate bolted to the wiper motor on the Diplomat setup that I grabbed. Just had to dig the bolts out from under the rubber gasket they glue over the hole plate to seal it to the cowl. Don't remember how the minivan wiper motor bolted to the mounting plate, but seems like it was easier to get apart than the Diplomat one.

Just a thought.

Actually on my 76' Dodge Power Wagon (thus the Avitar name origin cause it was Orange) I converted to a later model Dodge Pick-up(90's) style which also used a adapter or mounting plate to use a small wiper motor and bolted to the original holes in the firewall. I considered this option on this build but decided to go with the smooth look...I almost had a custom firewall made but decided against it ......probally would have been less work. Thanks

dion:
have any pictures? any tips on the wiring? id love to have intermittent/mist wipers setup on my duster.

i know you asked Dion for pics but I thought i'd add one I have of the set up on the Power Wagon, same for our A bodies though...

Attachments

• powerwagon (23).jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 2,083
Hey 76Orange, Are you saying a new motor will fit in the place of the old motor for my Duster on the outside. And if you are what motor is it.

I already did my firewall work and do not mind the motor on the engine side if it looks good, or new style.

Hey 76Orange, Are you saying a new motor will fit in the place of the old motor for my Duster on the outside. And if you are what motor is it.

I already did my firewall work and do not mind the motor on the engine side if it looks good, or new style.

Actually the motor on the truck lays the wrong way to fit in the factory location on the A body, but the adapter plate bolts to the triangular bolt pattern.I dont know what motor would work, maybe the FMJ mentioned in a earlier post would, I got the adapter from the Dodge dealer for a early 90's Full size truck.

I don't have any pictures, but when I looked at it last night it look pretty much identical to the third picture Wagon posted when he started talking about wiper motors.

Never wired it up, plug is pretty different, but it still only has 4 wires like the one on my Duster right now, so I would guess it wouldn't be hard to wire.

Pretty sure I grabbed mine out of an 88 Diplomat and a 90 Caravan. Swapped the parts around it bolted into the hole fine. Wire it up and I would bet it would work fine. Never got that far on my Valiant and haven't even put any thought into doing it to the Duster (but I am now).

About the delay wipers, pretty sure the motor doesn't have anything to do with it. I've thought about grabbing a switch out of a F-Body and the plastic box controller and wiring under the dash. Don't think it would be difficult. I don't think you would even have to get into the wiring past the firewall.

james aka mopardude318 has also done this mod. Ive been waiting for pics for almost a year now. Maybe this will give him some motivation to go take some lol.

Time to get started on the rear, I've assembled some parts and made some others so I guess it time to light this candle. I made weld plates to hold the rear at what I hope will be the ride height, set at 2 3/4" from the frame rails(maybe lower if I can) checked to make sure it was level and square with the car and tacked it into place, now I have a firmly mounted axle in any position to work and build off of.....cut and fit the 1.5", .120" wall cross bars for the shocks and upper front mounts. I might be changing the style of the rear bar to rectangular tube to get the upper shock mounting position a little in the car, once i get all my measurements and templates made I'll cut my brackets for the mounts and It should go pretty fast from there. I made the lower mounts but will be changing the design to get all the geometry correct, the aluminum one in the photo is a mocked up prototype and was designed to mount both the lower mount and shock all in one, but I think this will put the shock out a little to far and a little to much on a angle once mounted.
In the last photo Im holding the exhaust hanger reinforcement and thought about making bigger, thicker ones and weld to the front support bar and bolt back in the original place and remove the center part of the bar there it passes over the driveshaft hump, I saw this design on one of the Air ride suspension company's design for a E body

Attachments

• duster 042.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,978
  • duster 041.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,955
  • duster 030.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,971
  • duster 023.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,945
  • duster 021.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,955
  • duster 020.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,979
  • duster 019.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,967
  • duster 018.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,990
I also stopped by Summit racing and picked up my new heater/defrost unit to replace the big bulky factory unit as you can see in the photo next to the 7-up can it's really compact and should work out great, I also bought a NOS fender last week and after a quick trip to the media blaster to remove the 30+ year old factory primer I've got a good pair of fenders finally.......The cool thing is that there is no cut out for the radio antenna which I was gonna fill anyway...not 100% sure if I like the indentation that remains, I might just smooth it all out.

Attachments

• duster 033.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 2,008
  • duster 037.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,986
  • duster 024.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,994
  • duster 026.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,936
  • duster 027.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,975
looking really good Ross. I like how the rear suspensiion is coming along. Pretty trick looking.

looking really good Ross. I like how the rear suspensiion is coming along. Pretty trick looking.
Thanks Mark, of course it's not as trick as that cool Aluminum piece you got....this time it just Satin black powdercoat (eventually).......You stayin at the same hotel as Denny ? if so I'll see ya there. Congratulations on the sale of the Orange Duster...

Thanks Mark, of course it's not as trick as that cool Aluminum piece you got....this time it just Satin black powdercoat (eventually).......You stayin at the same hotel as Denny ? if so I'll see ya there. Congratulations on the sale of the Orange Duster...

Thanks Ross and yes I'm staying at the same hotel. I look forward to seeing you and all the boys!

-
Back