73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
Just spent the last week finishing up a couple areas that were modified for the lowered stance...I reworked the firewall steering column pass thru giving a more stamped looking piece with a corrected bearing angle. Second, I capped off the shock towers. Third, finished off the transmission tunnel and made a mounting bracket for the center console. And last but not least cut off the brand new AMD tail panel and swapped it out with a 70'-71' panel (thanks Mark) since I was told by a couple diffferent folks that 73' wasn't considered a "real" muscle car....So now even though the title says 73' it will look like a 71'...which means the custom hood will have to be re-engineered since it doesn't follow the flat design....like I said before 1 step forward 2 (or more) steps back. At least all these changes are "small potato's"

Attachments

• duster 024.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2,256
  • duster 004.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,257
  • duster 005.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,274
  • duster 027.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,267
  • duster 025.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,295
  • duster 016.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,258
  • duster 017.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,298
  • duster 008.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,274
  • duster 022.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,267
I'm failing to understand why the hood has to be redone.
Reworking your reworks doesn't sound like any fun. At least you've done it before and have a better idea of what you want to do this time around. :)

I'm failing to understand why the hood has to be redone.
Reworking your reworks doesn't sound like any fun. At least you've done it before and have a better idea of what you want to do this time around. :)

The scooped hood has a roll left to right and front to rear, I havent taken a serious look at the new hood to see if it would work without "massaging" it. I bought the scooped hood with the raised portion of the 73' in mind not a flat 70'-72'.
Total time so far changing out the tail panels is about 2 1/2 hrs so far probally another 2-3 hrs to go ...the problem was I ground all my spot welds flush unlike the factory ones the first time and had a heck of a time finding them again.

man ......you work fast...not sure who came up with the idea to swap it to a '71 style, but I bet dollars to doughnuts (I like just regular glazed...raised, not cake) you were thinking doing this modification from the get-go....and you just needed a little re-assurance from your "buddies"

BTW...tunnel and the rest of the mods look "above suspicion"

man ......you work fast...not sure who came up with the idea to swap it to a '71 style, but I bet dollars to doughnuts (I like just regular glazed...raised, not cake) you were thinking doing this modification from the get-go....and you just needed a little re-assurance from your "buddies"

BTW...tunnel and the rest of the mods look "above suspicious"

Oh, how time changes things..when I started it was going to stay Basin blue, have a decent stance and just a couple suttle body mods and be tubbed. About halfway through the build I wanted to do something with them but not till you mentioned it a couple weeks ago did it take hold. I have to work fast, I have to have all these things done before you come over next....who knows what you'll come up with next for me.

Oh, how time changes things..when I started it was going to stay Basin blue, have a decent stance and just a couple suttle body mods and be tubbed. About halfway through the build I wanted to do something with them but not till you mentioned it a couple weeks ago did it take hold. I have to work fast, I have to have all these things done before you come over next....who knows what you'll come up with next for me.

Lock the shop doors and put Dave on guard out front! I think in the end you will love the changes! It already is looking more like a hot rod!

i think at this point i woulda done a demon tail panel with a 71 duster front clip with a sharkstooth. just to really mess with people.

i "think" you should be ok with that scoop if you cut the scoop itself out, sut the raised section of the 70-72 hood outta the middle, and blend the two. key term there is tjhing, and that was only after looking at my 89 GMC longbed and 70 duster parked nose to nose.

michael

giving you ideas and inspiration is like fertilizing the garden.....a little horse$hit goes a long way

I have to agree, the early Duster tail panel and Demon tails are nicest.
I'm sure you know there's more to swapping the hood out - but again, its worth doing IMO. Eliminating the "beak" was my reason for converting from 73 Duster to Demon.

Ross, all those small taters are making me hungry. I still don't have mine in the garage yet. Suppose to been in the end of February, here it is the end of April. I've got to learn to say no. Sorry, lost myself there for a second. Exceptional. Just Exceptional.:coffee2:

Ross,
since you are using Denny's K member how wide and tall wheels were you able to fit in the front? I want to run 17" x 8" rims with 255/40 tires.
Andrew

im running that size on stock bullitt wheels on a stock style front suspension. dennys should let you go even bigger by what im seeing from pics.

yup.
im pretty sure that except for sway bar interference at full lock, i could do that with the right backspacing on the stock style as well.

Ross,
since you are using Denny's K member how wide and tall wheels were you able to fit in the front? I want to run 17" x 8" rims with 255/40 tires.
Andrew

Andrew Im running a 17" x 7" with 5.125" backspacing and a 215/55R17 which stands 26.3" tall but had to modify the inner fenders for enough suspension travel. I dont hit anywhere lock to lock but It's within .500". And unlike the bagger guys I am always at this ride height and can turn without any issues this low.

im running that size on stock bullitt wheels on a stock style front suspension. dennys should let you go even bigger by what im seeing from pics.

You'd better ask Denny on that one, there was alot of R & D involved here just to get the 17" x 7" to work...of course that's due to my stance, if you have lower profile tires (AKA Mustang stuff) all that changes.

i keep forgetting about how insanely low your car is.
and youre tire size is a bit taller than the 255/40/17 im running on the front. it also looks like youre about 2 inches lower than me as well. the closest i could get for comparison at this point due to your car being so modified is the fende lip height from the ground. unless youve changed that too.

i apologize for adding confusion. didnt mean to.

id definately check with denny.

Andrew....the 17/7 is all of it at Ross's stance, A little higher on fender lip (which you are doing) and you could "possibly" bring the wheel/tire further out , but the backspacing is critical to get the combo to turn lock to lock without rubbing in the inner fenders. If you want a larger rim diameter , no problem, as we discussed it's the tire diameter that ultimately matters

no sweat dusterbd13....we value your input/comments

I finally sat and read your whole thread from start to finish last night... A bag a pretzels and 4 beers later my brain couldn't stop thinking of my own project... Thanks for the inspiration and keep up the great work. Can wait to see what comes next!

I finally sat and read your whole thread from start to finish last night...
A bag a pretzels and 4 beers later my brain couldn't stop thinking of my
own project... Thanks for the inspiration and keep up the great work.
Can't wait to see what comes next!
My hat's off to you. 4 beers didn't even get me started on this monstrosity.
I think, to do it right, you have to start with a "JR" keg at least.

Remember, if you're going to drink all day, you have to start in the morning.

-
Back