73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
That hook turned out great. But... Its going to disrupt the whole design and become a focal point of nit picking.

Okay I finished the Frenched in tow hook insert, I'm very happy with the way it turned out but it's been getting mixed reviews with the local's here in Akron....of course some are Brand X guys. So I will probally regret this but I am looking for some Honest opinions on adding the Tow hook before I cut out the bumper and flush weld it in, also should it be closer to the lights or kicked out toward the passenger side more. Again looking for Honest opinions here....I know some of the frequent visitors have no problem giving there true thoughts. Thanks....I think

And NO I don't plan on breaking down alot...thats not the purpose of adding it, It's to show creativity and add to the customization of the overall build.

You know I love your car, the build, the process etc so I'll give it to you straight-

The tow hook insert looks great. But I do not think it belongs on your car. Not because it is "an import thing" or "unnecessary."" I think it takes away from the lights, which are already a pretty flashy bumper detail. I think adding it is just too much of a good thing.

You don't need to worry about showing off customization skill, the car is full of it. Remember to look at some stocker pictures once in a while. I forget that certain things I have done were mods all the time- but I betcha people going to shows that walk by line after line of stock restorations will notice!

I dont think Denny would appreciate me adding a tow hook to his Slammer K frame.

Your right...... I have the solution

[ame="http://s432.photobucket.com/user/hemimark/media/aaa_zpsd2d9e2df.png.html"]aaa_zpsd2d9e2df.png Photo by hemimark | Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/hemimark/aaa_zpsd2d9e2df.p@@AMEPARAM@@432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/hemimark/aaa_zpsd2d9e2df.p[/ame]

That hook turned out great. But... Its going to disrupt the whole design and become a focal point of nit picking.

You know I love your car, the build, the process etc so I'll give it to you straight-

The tow hook insert looks great. But I do not think it belongs on your car. Not because it is "an import thing" or "unnecessary."" I think it takes away from the lights, which are already a pretty flashy bumper detail. I think adding it is just too much of a good thing.

You don't need to worry about showing off customization skill, the car is full of it. Remember to look at some stocker pictures once in a while. I forget that certain things I have done were mods all the time- but I betcha people going to shows that walk by line after line of stock restorations will notice!

Thanks Shawn & Chris for your input.... I will agree that sometimes just
because I can make it, doesn't mean I should. I never was SOLD on the idea once I set in in place but needed other opinions to make sure it wasn't just me.

another vote for cluttering/too much on the tow hook. do haveto say the frenching is badass, though. great fab. just wrong application.

michael

Wow the Dart and Duster are comin along nicely. The Dart appears to be near completion

I love what you have done with the front bumper by frenching in the driving lights

The Tow hook would clutter up the bumper on the Duster. Also it looks like a toilet seat.
But a cool place for it would be in the middle of the space for the license plate on your power wagon. And use some sort of a flip up license plate bracket so it would be easily accesible when needed and just have to flip the license plate up and out of the way

Also may I ask where you bought your tow hook?
I would love to mount a pair of these on the rear frame rails of my Dart
Or May do a version of the bad *** lookin ones you did on the rear of your duster

Also may I ask where you bought your tow hook?
I would love to mount a pair of these on the rear frame rails of my Dart
Or May do a version of the bad *** lookin ones you did on the rear of your duster

I bought it off Ebay.....Just type in "Racing tow hook" in the search block, there are hundreds on there. The one I bought only cost $22.00, so thats why I'm not to broken up over not using it. I could always make one like the picture and mount under the bumper later if I feel the need. I sold the Power Wagon a few years ago so using the frenched in "Toilet seat" on it is not an option, thats funny because I used the same words to describe the look when I was making it.
STiTowHook5.jpg

Wow the Dart and Duster are comin along nicely. The Dart appears to be near completion
The Dart's engine got primed today so ...its real close. I need to find some column shift transmission linkage for the 727 make up the spark plug wires and a few more minor things and hopefully call it done.

Is this where you log on to complain about the hook?

I wouldn't call them complaints, I asked for honest opinions and am glad I got them thanks to everyone so far for there opinions.. I did expect a couple yea's and not all Nays so I guess the people have spoken.

I wouldn't call them complaints, I asked for honest opinions and am glad I got them thanks to everyone so far for there opinions.. I did expect a couple yea's and not all Nays so I guess the people have spoken.

Honestly, If you would have had it between the light's i would have givin you the big thumbs up!

Honestly, If you would have had it between the light's i would have givin you the big thumbs up!

I tried placing it there and one it didn't fit (to wide) and two talk about distracting from the lights...it was off the chart. Hey, it's not like it's the first thing I made and didn't use on this build...probally wont be the last.
Now I'm considering making some rings to surround the driving lights like I made for the dash vent...it really changed the look of it and think it would help give the bumper some depth, Yes another experiment.

Heres the Billet rings I made for the dash:

after...

attachment.php

Before...
attachment.php

I wish i had the skill to make 90% of the things you didnt use! Your skills are off the charts. :thumblef:

Thanks Mark,
Actually you have more of my Fab'd stuff than anybody. I actually had to choose my word's carefully there......I was gonna say "you have more of my things than anybody" but that just sounded wrong on so many levels.

I tried placing it there and one it didn't fit (to wide) and two talk about distracting from the lights...it was off the chart. Hey, it's not like it's the first thing I made and didn't use on this build...probally wont be the last.
Now I'm considering making some rings to surround the driving lights like I made for the dash vent...it really changed the look of it and think it would help give the bumper some depth, Yes another experiment.

]

This sounds interesting...
can you remind the class what your bumper finish will be? I'm sure it is buried in here somewhere, but you probably know off the top of your head.

Thanks Mark,
Actually you have more of my Fab'd stuff than anybody. I actually had to choose my word's carefully there......I was gonna say "you have more of my things than anybody" but that just sounded wrong on so many levels.

Even me? LOL I have some of your great parts as well. Wish I had more.

Riddler

Even me? LOL I have some of your great parts as well. Wish I had more.

Riddler

Yea, Mark took the lead with his custom Door emblems and the engine install cradle, which I can hopefully borrow back when the time comes. Yours was easy since I already made two sets in case I screwed up.

I took a couple pics today of the now dead and buried tow hook Idea between the lights, I actually thought it looked way to busy in there and liked this positioning the least. I decided to give a sneak preview of the Twister emblem I designed.. This design will probally get incorporated into the Valve cover with a little twist (no pun intended). Also got a little more work done on the Dart, Its got the wheels under it finally. I also didn't like how the factory routed the heater hoses via the passenger inner fender so I decided to run them straight down the valve cover....with the Air Cleaner in place it alot cleaner look. And finally managed to get the carpet and back seat installed, Made up the Morose 8MM spark plug wires and then realized the Positive battery cable was too short so I have to make longer ones so they stay away from the TTI headers.

Attachments

• duster 024.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 700
  • duster 025.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 640
  • duster 029.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 652
  • duster 035.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 673
  • duster 030.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 652
  • duster 033.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 684
What about mounting the tow hook behind the fog lights. That way if you ever need it, just pop the fog light out with a screw or two.

Thanks Mark,

It also is funny! and some what true!

-
Back